• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hello, fellows;
    It is not often I get time to post or even read, but I'd like to introduce myself as a 43-y/o currently residing in the exclusive:lol2: Chesapeake Ranch Estates in Lusby. I've been a shooter for quite a few years now, have been married for 20 years, and have two kids, 19 and 16. I'm a member of Sanner's Lake Sportsman Club in Lexington Park, a yearly (they need the money) NRA and GOA member. My 16-year-old son seems to have inherited my love of things that go bang and make holes in things, and I just gave him my first gun, a 20-gauge shotgun. More info will follow as I post more and read more; I'm not much for intros. I'm just going to grab the bull by the horns and toss my questions out. Here goes:
    I bought an SKS in Florida back in '94. It's a Chinese model, and when I bought it, it was wearing a Ram-Line synthetic Monte Carlo stock, but with the original wooden upper hand guard on the gas tube. The first time I disassembled it, it became clear why-some minor tool scratches gave it away. The shop owner told me how nasty the gas port was when he got the rifle(of course, the shop had cleaned it up by then). The previous owner had attempted to remove it, but never had figured out how. I heard an account of gobs of black gunk on the piston and all through the tube. In spite of that, the rifle turned out to be a remarkably good shooter- I actually managed sub-2 MOA for five rounds more than once with it, once I got a scope on it.
    But I digress...
    A couple of years ago, I bought a synthetic folding stock from Cheaper Than Dirt, and, not caring for the feel of it, put the Monte Carlo back on, this time removing the wooden handguard and replacing it with the synthetic one from the folder. Good so far.
    Recently, my son became interested in the folder. Of course, the folder came with a lock block installed to make it "legal":rolleyes:, which could be removed/replaced with a foldable block. On a recent trip to Virginia to camp, where I knew there was a USDA range nearby, I decided to bring the SKS. Having read earlier in various catalogs about "compliance" parts:o, I decided to play CYA and leave the lock block in place.
    Now, dealing with things as they are currently, before Osama bin Obama gets his way, my question has to do with compliance. What is it, what does it mean? I read when I ordered the folding stock that an SKS had to have a certain number of "compliance parts" to make it "legal" as a folder. My memory tells me that an SKS has to have a minimum of six "compliance" parts in order to use certain parts on it. Now that the Clinton ban has lapsed, or, shall we say, has been put on temporary suspension pending the Obama mama bear to Clinton's cub, is any of this still in force, and if so, what do I have to have in order for the SKS to be "compliant":rolleyes:? I do know that "compliance" parts have to be USA-made, but that's about all I know.
    Can anyone give me a clue or three?
    Thanks.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    It is indeed a Norinco. How would I tell the import date?

Sorry, I canot help with that one and I think it would need a lot of research of the importer's name, or what was not done to it, the serial number, etc.
    IIRC, mostly the ones with a bayonet, or bayonet lug were pre 1990, and some without are not as one example.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Hello, fellows;
    The shop owner told me how nasty the gas port was when he got the rifle(of course, the shop had cleaned it up by then). The previous owner had attempted to remove it, but never had figured out how. I heard an account of gobs of black gunk on the piston and all through the tube.

welcome...and did you get to break it down all the way and clean all the parts?

Luke 12:49

A Good Ole Boy
    Feb 18, 2009
    Culvert County
    Hello, fellows;
    It is not often I get time to post or even read, but I'd like to introduce myself as a 43-y/o currently residing in the exclusive:lol2: Chesapeake Ranch Estates in Lusby.

Ahoy!

I once had to take a kid I went to High School with home after soccer practice...took him home fine, trying to find my way out, took a wrong turn...got lost for about an hour and a half...I hate trying to figure out my way through the Ranch Estates!

I can't believe I overlooked your question for so long! Sorry about that! Yes, I did-I learn how to strip every firearm I have as soon as I get it, with the exception of my single-shot 20-gauge and the Ruger Redhawk (although at some point I want to get the AGI video on Ruger revolvers). When I bought my Ruger Mark III 22-45 last year, I used YouTube videos and the manual to learn to strip it. I kept at it until I had it memorized.

I learned this the hard way. I bought an Argentinian Hi-Power back in '93', and the first time I field-stripped it, I put the recoil spring retainer in incorrectly (I reversed the offset tab) and froze the pistol up. I had to take it back to the shop I bought it from to get it back apart. I immediately purchased a US military guide to the Hi-Power and tore that pistol down to nothing two or three times to get it down pat.

If you know how your car ticks, you need to know how your guns tick. BTW, that SKS will still shoot under 2 MOA off a good rest, but it sucks having to rezero it every time I strip the rifle. It never goes back exactly the same- usually off anywhere from a half-inch to an inch at 50 yards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom