• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Tommorow (Wed) I will have a rare convergence of kids out of school and my day off. And have marginally enough gas money.

During the Blizzard I put my set of virgin mud tires on Mrs Biggfoot's S10 Blazer. I would really like to put them thru their paces off road before they are about to come off for spring ( noisy, vibrate, bad milage).

As my baseline, during good weather I consider the "off road trails" at Green Ridge or Peters Mill to be "interesting" in stock S10s or Grand Cherokees . The CJ w/ 31s is kind of too easy.
    I know it'd probably be too much with all this rain for Wife Blazer W/o functional posi . Will the rest of "regular" roads be sloppy enough to be worthwhile ?

I know it would be what I'm looking for for in "my" other area in GWNF , but lack the gas money for now.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    This thread shows up in the "outdoor sports", but not in the "New Posts" ?? I'll try a bump for luck.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    If you make a post or bump a post it won't show up for you because the system figures you already know about since the last activity was yours. Now if I bump in and you hit new posts it will show up for you. :thumbsup:

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    random typing......bump./

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Do'in the Bump ! Feels like 1986 at the Disco.

But meanwhile how's the mud & flood in WM ?

brianluck

village idiot
    May 28, 2009
    lansdowne
    i think they see to much traffic and are to packed down to be "fun" great for balls out atv and dirt bike ridding. but in a vehicle well its just and extra bumpy dirt road

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back in the day I used to drive what is now the "ohv trail" when they were regular roads that just happened to be twistier. In the years inbetween mainly had delibert nonmaintence, with a few places manipulated to make berms.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    *UPDate*

The tire's perform boringly well. No traction issues on OHV trail. could hardly induce spin even in deepest mudholes in 2WD . One one in delibertly taking wrong track in mudhole, just had to back up & tack better track.

The OHV trail in general was expected. BUT all the little dips were full of water . And the usual mdholes were really deep. No traction issues, but several times heard the "gurgle, gurgle" of the exhaust being underwater .

At the powerline right of way extensive vehicular tracks could be seen between Stafford Rd and East Valley Rd (where we were). This look like and interesting trail for ATV or Jeeps, but is a definate NO-NO , and could cause repercusions from the Man .

However the rest of the "regular" Forrest roads had a rough time over the winter between blizzards , runoff, and torrential rains. All the downed trees I saw were cleared, but lots of washouts. While no touble "for us" , these were on roads that are ment for travel by general public in regular cars. The average suburban Yuppie in BMW or Toyota would be in trouble.

All in all kids had good time. They enjoyed their picnic, and mini-hike combined with nature and forestry lessons. They were a little disapointed whenever I pointed out that I'd be glad to make some more sandwiches for them, but we weren't going to any restraunts. But they eventually accepted w/o causing a rebellion.

On the way up I modified my origional intention of bypassing ( to not tease myself) to promising to just take quick looking, and not buy anything at Hendershot's Sports in Hancock . But they are Closed on Monday, Tue, and Wensday ! ( my weekends are tue & wed) . I actually saw Jerry Henndershot on street, but was nice , and only said hello.

Not withstanding the dearth of technical fourwheeling, I am reminded of the joys of visiting WM area . But then the reason I shifted my Mountainous Recreation to Va, Pa, and finally WV. I was going to give my money to places that respected my rights. Of course this time was limited by extreme cash issues, and only spent gas money & picnic stuff at home grocery store.

Too bad I can't enjoy my own fine state in good concience.

Last edited:

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    Sounds like it was better than the last time I was there, the conditions were a little trickier...... :innocent0

Attachments

• Photo040.jpg
      Photo040.jpg
      57.7 KB · Views: 96
    • Photo043.jpg
      Photo043.jpg
      108.2 KB · Views: 85

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members