• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    hope I was not the guest- wait hope I WAS the guest. Sometimes I do not log in when perusing the pages. Sorry.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    My father wanted to bring back a Thompson from WW2 but was afraid that he would get caught so I got no Thompson. That same theory kept people from registering their borrowed guns later on.

I don't think it is legal to "dewat" it now. The ATF isn't going to give you $100, either.

There was a bill in the last congress to grant amnesty to veterans and their family but it did not pass.

Yes a lot did not registered stolen guns. Its unfortunate as if most understood paying taxes... they are due and can't be used against you. For example if you sell drugs and declare the drug money as income, they can't use that information against you and send the DEA after you. In this case the $200 stamp is just a tax and so is protected like your tax returns.

No you can't legally dewat anymore. This was done back in the day to keep you from having to pay the $200. However in 1968, dewats were required to be registered too. So they transfer tax free but still must be registered.

Yeah we will see that bill get through congress when hell freezes over. Everyone in the country would suddenly find very new looking old guns their Grand father got from the war....

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Yeah we will see that bill get through congress when hell freezes over. Everyone in the country would suddenly find very new looking old guns their Grand father got from the war....

You mean like the twenty five AR15's converted to full auto that my great uncle brough back from WWI....but forgot to amnesty register in 1968? :innocent0

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I WISH my grandma had left me something cool like a Thompson.

My Grandfather was a gunner on a B24... firing M3 Brownings 50 caliber... why didn't he stick one of them in his bag on the way.

However he did have a 1911 sidearm too!

So one day I asked him... He said he had 2!

I thought great, one for the uncle, one for me! Well where are they?

So he tells me he handed the issued one back in. However the other was contraband and he tossed it into San Fan. Bay on his return trip!

Yeah thats right, the only Grandfather who fought for the entire war 1941-1945 in combat zone and has not a single gun from it. He never talked about it much and I am guessing he saw horrible stuff.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    You mean like the twenty five AR15's converted to full auto that my great uncle brough back from WWI....but forgot to amnesty register in 1968? :innocent0

I was thinking of my RDIAS and HK autosears from the Civil War!

If it was an RDIAS then it wouldn't need amnesty. :D

No, he should be fine with those civil war sears. They are Pre-98's. Not Pre-samples, but Pre 1898 production items, so just unregulated antiques. Like these sears below from the War of 1812.

Attachments

• HKS.jpg
      HKS.jpg
      46.7 KB · Views: 436

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    No, he should be fine with those civil war sears. They are Pre-98's. Not Pre-samples, but Pre 1898 production items, so just unregulated antiques. Like these sears below from the War of 1812.

You guys are after the small potatoes. I'm more interested in C&R nuclear bombs because they can be delivered right to your house.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    My buddy Rich will probably pick up some chalk rounds. Probably still not AGC approved.

I'm sure that Matt can get chalk rounds approved for testing at AGC. As long as we hit the berm. I have my doubts about small thermonuclear devices. But good luck with that in GA.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    It's a shame there was no internet in 1968 to pass the word about the amnesty It was only a short time period and most of these gun owners were never aware of it. My friend got his Maxim registered about a week before it ended because his uncle happened to stumble on the information. It's a minty, would have been a shame to have to give it up. My 1911 made in 1913, like many, has the US Property ground off making it worth a lot less. As mentioned many returning GI's tossed their guns or ground off the US markings.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Even though I was too young to see it my dad was said to have brought a Bren Mk 1 LMG home from WWII. He had to have had it through 1950 or so because he came home with it after serving in the occupation forces till 1947 (my parents came home by way of ocean liner so it may have been hidden in their luggage although I heard a tale once about possibly mailing it home in pieces). He never told my brother and I what he did with it but likely sold it as he served continually until 1963. Only guns from WWII we saw and shot were his 1911 and his Walther P-38.

Anybody remember (I think it was here) a couple of years ago a gentlemen who was cleaning out his father's or grandfather's possessions after he passed away showed us a photo of a firearm he found in a closet or something. After looking at it for awhile 2 or 3 of us realized it was an original Lewis LMG without the shroud over the barrel. If we had seen a mag we would have identified it immediately. We told him to call the ATF immediately (before some agent cruising on line saw the photo). Never did find out what happened to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom