• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    I was looking for a handy axe and came across Gransfors Bruk axes. Definitely high quality, but wanted to see what everyone’s experience with this manufacturer is.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    I love mine. Holds an edge well and is very comfortable to use. Primarily spends time at the fir pit helping make kindling

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Excellent brand, pretty hard to beat if they make a model you like. Not cheap, but I have never regretted paying for anything from them.

Council is a US made option, good tools, but not the fit/finish of the GB.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    When I used to split firewood by hand, their axes were a Holy Grail that I just couldn't afford.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Wetterlings is another good ax company from Sweden if you can find a dealer locally. They tend to cost slightly less than the Gransfors-bruk brand does but they're just as good.

You can find GB locally. Edgeworks in Frederick has them in stock.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I was looking for a handy axe and came across Gransfors Bruk axes. Definitely high quality, but wanted to see what everyone’s experience with this manufacturer is.

I was gifted one of these from a member here. The things are sharp as a razor. You need to be careful. I then gave it to my daughter.
    Interesting thing, the heads are stamped with the initials of the smith who forged it. Thought it was perfect that mine was a female. One of the reasons I gave it to my daughter.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I am a fan of Hardcore Hammers axes and hatchets. Good quality US made alternative. (nothing wrong with the swedish stuff except they use recycled steel)

Fate

Mar 18, 2012
    I have the GB Scandinavian Forest axe and the tomahawk-like Outdoor Axe. I use them for canoe camping. I prefer the extra length of the Scandinavian to their Small Forest Axe as I can chop without being on my knees. The Outdoor axe is great for kindling and my choice to take with a saw while soloing. Can’t go wrong with any GB axe.

Choppers45

Jan 10, 2010

I have had one for several years and use it often around the property and camping. Great little axe.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Curious what y'all are using an axe for, so frequently. I've got an axe in the barn I got from the wife's uncle... never used it. I use a hatchet for minor limbs and a maul or splitting axe to chop wood.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Curious what y'all are using an axe for, so frequently. I've got an axe in the barn I got from the wife's uncle... never used it. I use a hatchet for minor limbs and a maul or splitting axe to chop wood.

When I lived out in the mountains, I had a permit to take 2 cords of deadfall for firewood. I'd take the truck out after a storm and buck it in place, load it in the truck, and process it at home by hand. Just a chainsaw and maul.

Fate

Mar 18, 2012
    Gransfors Bruk also make beautiful splitting axes and splitting mauls. ;)

thedutchtouch

Feb 14, 2023
    I've had one for years, it's great. Their description is very accurate, The SFA is just that, small. It's bigger than a hatchet, but smaller than a full sized axe. Great for camping/bushcraft/backpacking adventures but I'd recommend a larger one for at-home use or if you're using a truck instead of your back to carry it around.

Worsley

Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    I've had one for years, it's great. Their description is very accurate, The SFA is just that, small. It's bigger than a hatchet, but smaller than a full sized axe. Great for camping/bushcraft/backpacking adventures but I'd recommend a larger one for at-home use or if you're using a truck instead of your back to carry it around.
    I ended up buying the SFA, I should have it in the next couple of days.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail

With this lot I'm guessing they use their axes for everything from shaving, to minor surgery, to minor timber work, and possibly the occasional bris

Worsley

Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster

I am an avid overlander and I go on many a coddiwonmple, it's great for firewood, and general outdoorsy tasks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom