• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • C&RTactical

Jul 24, 2013
    I have been looking into reloading for the 7.5x55 Swiss. Though with GP11 relatively affordable and very accurate, is it worth saving the $.10 to $.20 reloading for it? I read of better accuracy being achieved, but not with details of the effort to do it. I have a bunch of GP11, but not looking forward to buying more since I already have a bunch of the components to make it already. I have powder, bullets, primers, the press, dies, and PPU ammo for it. When I run out of GP11 I want to know that I can get the same quality with basic effort and QC to get the same results. Why buy more GP11 when I have everything to make it?

What has your experience been in this. Also I have a K31 whicheck I would be shooting this out of. If you have a place for K31 specific reloading data and practices please share that as well. Most places I find have plenty of data, but is a bit light because it was for the 1911 rifle.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I have been looking into reloading for the 7.5x55 Swiss. Though with GP11 relatively affordable and very accurate, is it worth saving the $.10 to $.20 reloading for it? I read of better accuracy being achieved, but not with details of the effort to do it. I have a bunch of GP11, but not looking forward to buying more since I already have a bunch of the components to make it already. I have powder, bullets, primers, the press, dies, and PPU ammo for it. When I run out of GP11 I want to know that I can get the same quality with basic effort and QC to get the same results. Why buy more GP11 when I have everything to make it?

What has your experience been in this. Also I have a K31 whicheck I would be shooting this out of. If you have a place for K31 specific reloading data and practices please share that as well. Most places I find have plenty of data, but is a bit light because it was for the 1911 rifle.

Comparing reloads to commercial/milsurp ammo is a flawed way of thinking. You will create some of the most accurate ammo you will probably ever see, after you do your load development.

I know it will seem as if it is apples to oranges but bear with me. I can buy FGMM 308 for 30-40 bucks for a box of 20 so that is $1.50-2.00 per round for factory made match grade ammo, yet I make more accurate ammo with match grade bullets for around $.50 per round. So by my reasoning, math, and logic, I am saving $1.00-1.50 per round by reloading.

I would recommend you buy as much of the ammo as you can on the commercial market, while you can, so you can stockpile a ton of brass for reloading.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Comparing reloads to commercial/milsurp ammo is a flawed way of thinking. You will create some of the most accurate ammo you will probably ever see, after you do your load development.

I know it will seem as if it is apples to oranges but bear with me. I can buy FGMM 308 for 30-40 bucks for a box of 20 so that is $1.50-2.00 per round for factory made match grade ammo, yet I make more accurate ammo with match grade bullets for around $.50 per round. So by my reasoning, math, and logic, I am saving $1.00-1.50 per round by reloading.

GP-11 is most often compared to match ammo.

I would recommend you buy as much of the ammo as you can on the commercial market, while you can, so you can stockpile a ton of brass for reloading.

GP-11 is Berdan primed so while it can be reloaded, it is a PITA to deprime. That's if you can find a source of primers.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Unless I were to scope my K31, I would not be able to shoot close to the already accurate GP11. however, one thing is that the different batches of GP11 seem to have a different POI. The little 10 count boxes have a date on them. If I pull a different batch, the POI may change a few inches at 100 yards. I noticed that when I had scoped my K31 temporarily with a no-gunsmith mount. I have the dies and some PPU brass but have yet to try them on the K31. Probably will do it in the spring.

d'Artagnan

Nov 4, 2008
    Ellicott City
    Before K31's, GP11, Serbian GRAF/PPU cases and ammo, and Hornady K31 dies were available, the only available 7.5 Swiss was headstamped I.A.C. and the packages stated "Made in W. Germany". I bought a C-H 7.5 Swiss die set when they went out of business and have used it loading I.A.C. 7.5 Swiss for my 1911 rifle and carbine ever since. Once the other items became available, I also loaded/reloaded the GRAF/PPU cases, and the GP11 cases with Tula-brand berdan primers. Perhaps I just got a bad batch of GP11 but my reloads using the GRAF/PPU cases, 45.0gr IMR4895, CCI LRBR primers, and 168gr Sierra MKHP bullets, are more accurate than GP11 in all three of my Schmidt-Rubins -- 1911 rifle, 1911 carbine, and K31. I still use the C-H dies for the 1911's, but use the Hornady dies for the K31.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom