• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    I like this for the fact that he stands for what he believes in. Way to go Governor Hogan.
    Okay, maybe they will override it but at least he didn't cave in.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Pressing the critters on something other than 2A couldn't hurt

Especially if you can tie it to the overlords, Mike & Mike

Attachments

• smigol1.jpg
      smigol1.jpg
      22.4 KB · Views: 1,683

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    "Gov. Larry Hogan swiftly vetoed a transportation scoring bill he labeled “the worst kind of policy” Friday morning, ensuring a veto override fight in the legislature.

Moments after the bill arrived on his desk, Hogan issued a prepared, three-page veto letter that said the bill “miserably fails” his “simple test” of whether a new law makes it easier for families and small businesses to stay in, or move to, Maryland.

Calling the legislation “regrettable,” Hogan wrote that the bill “has the potential to once again put Maryland roads and highways on a path of neglect and underinvestment. I would be defaulting on my vow to Marylanders if I did not make every effort to resist passage of this bill.”...
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...nsportation-spending-bill-20160401-story.html

Them's fightin' words from Hogan.

And this in in Hogan's wheelhouse. Hopefully he's gonna make them look like the partisan political hacks and chumps that they are.

Last edited:

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Someone posted that the "6-day rule" (?) applies and he had to within that time, or it would have automatically become law.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    There is so much manure in and around Annapolis and the legislature, I am just waiting for someone to forget to lock the stall and let it spill out. Eventually the dirt on these thieves will come out and the Miller/Busch regime will implode.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Not familiar with that one...

Found this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...553c72-f5cb-11e5-a3ce-f06b5ba21f33_story.html

By Ovetta Wiggins March 29

"Maryland’s Democratic-controlled legislature is racing to move several bills to Gov. Larry Hogan’s desk this week, part of a preemptive strike against possible vetoes by the Republican governor.

Lawmakers are planning to use a provision in the state constitution that says bills sent to the governor for consideration at least six days before the end of a legislative session must either be vetoed or become law by the end of that session — which this year is April 11.

Normally, bills are sent to the governor within 20 days after the end of the session. The governor then has 30 days to sign them, veto them or allow them to become law without a signature.

If Hogan vetoes a measure under the so-called “six-day rule,” the General Assembly would have time to try to overturn the veto before adjourning. Otherwise, lawmakers would have to wait until the next legislative session to attempt to override...."

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    OK... thanks.

My reading of that, however, seems to say he could have waited until 11:59PM on the 11th...

The game is afoot.

Well, it was in the WPO, so it must be true and correct. :sarcasm:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    He also stated that this bill could violate the MD Constitution.

I'm curious as to why he chose to veto it in-session. This could get really good.

Someone posted that the "6-day rule" (?) applies and he had to within that time, or it would have automatically become law.

My understanding based on a couple of reports is that M&M moved up all the bills they expected Hogan to veto, so that they could force an override in-session.

Either today or monday is the last day for bills to pass allowing time for an in-session override. After that, any overides happen next year.

ETA: I belive that the "6 day provision" they are referring to is this:
    (b) If any Bill presented to the Governor while the General Assembly is in session is not returned by him with his objections within six days (Sundays excepted), the Bill shall be a law in like manner as if he signed it, unless the General Assembly, by adjournment, prevents its return, in which case it shall not be a law.
    http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/43const/html/02art2.html

The way it's written in the WaPo is confusing, but I believe that if a bill is presented to Gov while the legislature is in session, Gov has 6 days to act (veto or otherwise it's considered law).

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    Folks should be reminded that this bill has two main goals...

1) Remove authority from the (Republican) Governor for decisions about transportation priorities

and

2) Throw taxpayer dollars into the Leftist Triangle, to further solidify the D voting blocs in Baltimore shitty and the DC burbs

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

It just says he would have to veto it or it will become law by the end of the session. If I were Hogan, I would've waited until 30 minutes before the session ended and then vetoed it. Then at least the legislature would have had to convene a special session to override the veto. (or wait until next year)
    AFAIK.
    Feel free to correct me if I'm

Sorry, read further and it looks like 6 days is correct.
    Good for him on the veto.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    There are several more bills that this libtard GA are pushing thru at the last minute just to try to make Hogan look bad, I'm sending off some e-mails this weekend to the 2 Mikes and other Dumbocrats telling them what childish assholes they are, lot of good it will do in this shitty libtard state.

light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    It just says he would have to veto it or it will become law by the end of the session. If I were Hogan, I would've waited until 30 minutes before the session ended and then vetoed it. Then at least the legislature would have had to convene a special session to override the veto. (or wait until next year)
    AFAIK.
    Feel free to correct me if I'm

Sorry, read further and it looks like 6 days is correct.
    Good for him on the veto.

I think it was very classy for him to immediately veto it. He was prepared and did what he said he was going to do. He also gave his reasons for the sake of transparency. He is a man of honor. He wasn't going to play games. He was the adult in this arena. He stood tall knowing get that he could still get overidden. I think it was very shrewd of him to do it this way because with his approval rating, another override will look bad for those people IMHO.

I also believe that , sadly, many Democrats are truly unaware of what is going on. All I ask is for them to take a look, listen to both sides and decide for themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom