• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MadCat0911

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2013
    Hanover
    AGREED.

THIS NEEDS TO BE STICKIED ON THE HOME PAGE. Maybe even send a mass email to all forum members, and maybe Shannon (NRA rep) can send a mass email to MD NRA members. In theory one bad apple could create a "shopping list" for thieves who want to steal guns, much like the list that was published in NY.

Or we get one of the non-cop guys who volunteers for this and wants to disapprove people who shouldn't be disapproved simply based on the gun listed on the form.

The sphinx

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2013
    Delaware
    Assuming this is true I'm just as outraged as anyone. Can I ask what proof does the AGC have that makes this story accurate. Yes we all are not happy with the govenor and that makes this easy to believe. But where is the proof? Besides "confirmed reports" I want to see proof before I get real upset

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Per Senator Stone's aide:

"On Monday, Senator Stone is contacting the Attorney General regarding this important issue. Senator Stone has been receiving quite a few emails concerning this matter. JoAnne, Administrative Assistant"

Monday is too late. He needs to light up Dougie G's phone tonight.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    one can only hope some dipshit state employee decides to "leak" information to the media, and the state gets stomped. hard.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Or we get one of the non-cop guys who volunteers for this and wants to disapprove people who shouldn't be disapproved simply based on the gun listed on the form.

a deprevation of rights under color of law lawsuit would be glorious

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Assuming this is true I'm just as outraged as anyone. Can I ask what proof does the AGC have that makes this story accurate. Yes we all are not happy with the govenor and that makes this easy to believe. But where is the proof? Besides "confirmed reports" I want to see proof before I get real upset

This. I'm assuming that this was leaked via a AGC member who works for a state agency?

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    to be clear, they are saying these folks are being used for DATA ENTRY... not approval/disapproval.

However, this doesn't mean that you won't be disapproved because one of these folks makes errors while entering said data.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    The idea of having state clerical workers from across the state government system having access to this kind of information is positively frightening. While I'm sure most of the workers are honest people, I worked in local government with state agencies long enough to meet many state workers I wouldn't trust with anything sensitive.

I can specifically remember at least one MVA clerk getting fired after being suspected of giving out the tag numbers of undercover police cars to drug gang buddies. Nobody ever found it out until the county detectives suspected something like this was going on and complained to MVA. Then they were able to audit who had run the tags and catch her. But MVA did nothing to police this kind of behavior themselves.

And now you are going to have thugs and gangbangers with girlfriends with low-paying state clerical jobs able to get not only your social security number and DOB for identity theft, but also know your address and that you own guns.

This is one of the most irresponsible things I have ever seen this administration do, and that is saying something.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    to be clear, they are saying these folks are being used for DATA ENTRY... not approval/disapproval.

However, this doesn't mean that you won't be disapproved because one of these folks makes errors while entering said data.

Or misplace your apps and falls in the wrong hands.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013

Dont know about anyone else, but I am a lot less concerned at this point about approval/disapproval than I am about non-MSP personnel having their grubby hands on our sensitive information.

Maybe this will backfire and every other one will go into secondary review. Then sworns will have to deal with a lot more than usual.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    If john went through the trouble of emailing his membership and posting here... his information is solid.

Our best hope is to raise so much hell tonight and tomorrow that O'Malley puts the thing on hold.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    The idea of having state clerical workers from across the state government system having access to this kind of information is positively frightening. .

This is why everyone should ALWAYS rescind their permission in writing as per the 77R

I further acknowledge that I may at
    any time, except to the extent
    that the Department of State
    Police has already taken action in
    reliance on it, revoke this authorization by submitting a request
    for revocation in writing. If not previously re
    voked, this authorization will terminate one year
    after the date I sign this applica
    tion or upon notification to me of
    the denial of this application,
    whichever occurs first.

If you want to play it safe then wait until you're "Not Disapproved" but you could rescing your permission the same day you sign the 77R (and people have done so)

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    The idea of having state clerical workers from across the state government system having access to this kind of information is positively frightening. While I'm sure most of the workers are honest people, I worked in local government with state agencies long enough to meet many state workers I wouldn't trust with anything sensitive.

I can specifically remember at least one MVA clerk getting fired after being suspected of giving out the tag numbers of undercover police cars to drug gang buddies. Nobody ever found it out until the county detectives suspected something like this was going on and complained to MVA. Then they were able to audit who had run the tags and catch her. But MVA did nothing to police this kind of behavior themselves.

And now you are going to have thugs and gangbangers with girlfriends with low-paying state clerical jobs able to get not only your social security number and DOB for identity theft, but also know your address and that you own guns.

This is one of the most irresponsible things I have ever seen this administration do, and that is saying something.

Well said!

I feel terrorized.

The sphinx

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2013
    Delaware
    This. I'm assuming that this was leaked via a AGC member who works for a state agency?

Who knows. But my opinion is if you break a story of this magnitude you need to show some type of proof other than the " confirmed reports". AGC shows no proof then says "we won't speculate on the governors political motive" really? Gezz give us something people. And I am a AGC member by the way I'm not trying to bash them but they need to show us proof before getting every forum member pissed off

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Dont know about anyone else, but I am a lot less concerned at this point about approval/disapproval than I am about non-MSP personnel having their grubby hands on our sensitive information.

And you should be. As bad as the whole deal is, at least all of the MSP civilian employees are thoroughly backgrounded before hire. You can't say that for the rest of the state government.

As a result of reading this I am seriously considering spending the money for one of those credit guard agencies to help protect against identity theft. Unfortunately there's not much more I can do about the possibility of a burglary from some gang banger whose girlfriend or sister has a state data entry job and gives or sells him the addresses of known gun owners.

EHS1976

Mar 28, 2013
    USA
    I'm not saying it's right, but it sounds like other state employees have been/will be detailed to the MSP. Happens all the time within and between agencies when there are staffing shortages or surges in work to be completed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom