• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    So I was installing a light on the non-standard rail of a P226 and, unknowingly, drove the screws across the finish of the rail. Took the finish off down to the steel. I was planning on getting it refinished a few years from now but with this gouge do I need to accelerate those plans?

How long till rust starts to set in?

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    So I was installing a light on the non-standard rail of a P226 and, unknowingly, drove the screws across the finish of the rail. Took the finish off down to the steel. I was planning on getting it refinished a few years from now but with this gouge do I need to accelerate those plans?

How long till rust starts to set in?

I believe most, and maybe all, 226's have frames made of aluminum alloy and slides made from stainless steel.... so no real corrosion risk for either.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If the look bothers you, go to a hobby store and see if there is a model paint that matches, and touch up the dings.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    If the look bothers you, go to a hobby store and see if there is a model paint that matches, and touch up the dings.
    Just concerned about rust. Sounds like I don't have to worry too much. I put a copius amount of oil on the spot just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom