• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Recently came into possession of a Forehand & Wadsworth topbreak revolver.

Info's been a bit scarce, so any help is appreciated. Have no clue just how old it is, serial # is in the 20XXX range. No clue on caliber either, thinking .38 area since a 38 spl case fits the cylinders, but obviously seems long.

Timing even seems pretty tight when compared to my S&W 627-2. Just trying to get some more info if possible.

View attachment 78451

View attachment 78452

Last edited:

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    yep, most likely .38 S&W common caliber for these old turn of the century era revolvers.

there were a bunch of companies putting out revolvers like that.

a quick google search came up with someone mentioning that the forehand and wadsworth company became just the forehand arms company after 1902, so you'rs at least predates that i guess.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    My poor-decision making half is almost tempted to try and fire it, but I think I should get it thoroughly checked out first. I like my face as is.

38 short colt perhaps?? I only mention that since the cylinder is just under the OAL length of a 38 S&W cartidge. Even my Lyman's 49th isn't showing anything for that caliber.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Most of those are .32 S&W (short).

That's what I'd read, but I actually had some 32 S&W lying around and they just drop right thru the cylinder and bore.

Just screwing around I'd played around with empty cases, and a 38 cal case fits it beautifully, a bit long though, but the diameter seems spot-on. It's the oddest damn thing.

Looking at the measurements for 38 short colt and the residue inside the cylinders, I'm thinking this might be an odd-ball to a further extent than I previously thought.

Cylinder measures 1.20" from end to end, bore comes in right around .360" (give or take .001/.002) - this is a interesting little piece for sure.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You have to be very careful then. It's probably .38 S&W (same as .38 Colt New Police), which means it's not compatible with .38 Short Colt or .38 Long Colt. It's definitely not compatible with .38 S&W Special (usually called .38 Special today).

As far as value goes, these pistols are a dime a dozen, unfortunately. They were sold under many names, especially Iver Johnson.

.38 S&W is a black powder cartridge. Be wary of anybody loading and selling the cartridge nowadays with smokeless powder, which could easily grenade the pistol. Places like Buffalo Arms sell the real deal, http://www.buffaloarms.com/38_Smith_Wesson_Ammo_it-831095.aspx?CAT=4442.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Value I wasn't too worried about, seeing as how the nickel has seen better days. I got it for a song and dance basically. ;)

I'm more curious as to what exactly it was, the caliber, and possibly production date.

Trying to find a reputable 'smith to give it the once over to see if it's even suitable to shoot, assuming I can also figure out what exactly it takes if it gets a clean bill of health.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ForehandWadsworthLeadA1000.jpg

This makes it sound like pre-1890:

In 1890, believing his name had achieved prominence, Forehand renamed his company Forehand Arms Co. That’s a useful bit of trivia because it helps assign general dates to the Forehand guns, and it means that any F&W product labeled “Forehand & Wadsworth” was built well before 1898 and can be considered an antique, free of federal transfer restrictions.
    http://www.gundigest.com/gun-collec...forehand-wadsworth-other-guys-deserve-mention

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Think everyone was dead on with 38 S&W.

I'm a dunce - forgot to take the rim dimension out of the equation when looking at things... :o

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    even though its a BP lots of people use extremely light smokeless loads in BP cartridge guns.

what you wanna look for is smokeless cowboy loads meant specifically for BP guns.

as well if you reload it would be much cheaper to load your own, you could even cast your own bullets.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    There are a lot of .38 S&W rounds lying around at my range's dud box. I plan on taking them for the blackpowder inside and can send you the cases and slugs. All you need to do is reload with new primer and powder.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I may 'give it a shot' at a later date, if it gets an OK from a 'smith. One thing I'm slightly concerned about is the slight play in the cylinder when the hammer's back, I don't know how much is acceptable for something this old.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    There are a lot of .38 S&W rounds lying around at my range's dud box. I plan on taking them for the blackpowder inside and can send you the cases and slugs. All you need to do is reload with new primer and powder.

I'd appreciate that. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom