• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bilbravo

Apr 30, 2013
    Baltimore (District 46)
    Prior to this I always had my ammo in a Wal-Mart bag or wherever I bought it and my handgun in the case it came in. However, I recently bought myself a nice little range bag. Now, Maryland law states something like this:

"the handgun must be unloaded and in an enclosed case or enclosed holster with the ammunition separate from the handgun AND you must be transporting the handgun to or from the locations listed in the statute"

Question is... does being in a separate compartment in my range bag from the ammo (which is in the main compartment) constitute being separate? I suppose it could be interpreted a few different ways.

Prior to this I always had my ammo in a Wal-Mart bag or wherever I bought it and my handgun in the case it came in. However, I recently bought myself a nice little range bag. Now, Maryland law states something like this:

]"the handgun must be unloaded and in an enclosed case or enclosed holster with the ammunition separate from the handgun AND you must be transporting the handgun to or from the locations listed in the statute"

Question is... does being in a separate compartment in my range bag from the ammo (which is in the main compartment) constitute being separate? I suppose it could be interpreted a few different ways.

It actually says this;

(3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

Nothing about seperate.

Not completely wrong,just not the way the law is actually written.The same can be said with "straight to the range and home,but you can't stop anywhere" or "has to be in a locked case",etc.I have a soft-sided range bag (2 compartments) that I use 90% of the time.What I do is put the handgun(s) in a soft case in 1 side and the ammo on the other.

bilbravo

Apr 30, 2013
    Baltimore (District 46)
    You cannot have a loaded magazine in the pistol. The pistol must be in a case. Other than that, you are good to go.

I plan to stick the handgun down in the inside pocket, which does not zip and I guess is not entirely separate from where the ammo will be -- which is the main section of the bag. Should I have the gun in a zippered pouch also?

Why is this so stupid? (that's rhetorical)

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I've got an MTM range box that I like to use - I can put 3-4 pistols in it if I squeeze them (the most I've ever done is 3) and there is a top/bottom divider. The ammo goes in the bottom half of the box, the pistols in the upper. I've never been given any kind of grief about it at the range - I've always just assumed it was good to go.

alan

Aug 30, 2009
    Virginia

"the handgun must be unloaded and in an enclosed case or enclosed holster with the ammunition separate from the handgun AND you must be transporting the handgun to or from the locations listed in the statute"

Because the statute applies to "transporting" I had assumed the separate compartment was in the vehicle, not in the case. I keep my pistol in a locked case and my ammo in a range bag. I make sure neither is accessible from the driver compartment.
    I live in VA and only have to worry about it when I visit, but I took the most conservative interpretation that I could derive from the statute because being detained in another state doesn't appeal to me.

bilbravo

Apr 30, 2013
    Baltimore (District 46)
    Because the statute applies to "transporting" I had assumed the separate compartment was in the vehicle, not in the case. I keep my pistol in a locked case and my ammo in a range bag. I make sure neither is accessible from the driver compartment.
    I live in VA and only have to worry about it when I visit, but I took the most conservative interpretation that I could derive from the statute because being detained in another state doesn't appeal to me.

I think that makes the most sense (different compartment of the vehicle).

I always transport my firearms with a lock on them. I guess I'll see what they say at the range.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I plan to stick the handgun down in the inside pocket, which does not zip and I guess is not entirely separate from where the ammo will be -- which is the main section of the bag. Should I have the gun in a zippered pouch also?

Why is this so stupid? (that's rhetorical)

I would put the pistol in a zippered pouch (gun rug). I would do this to make sure the pistol does not get scratched. You do not have to do this to be in compliance with the law.

Sunir

Jul 10, 2013
    I use my Wilson combat TAC bag when taking upto 2 pistols to the range. It can carry upto 2 full size handguns in the central pouch, wrapped in microfiber jackets to avoid contact and keep safe. Ammo can be carried in 2 pouches on the left side of the bag, on the right side there are slots pockets for 8 mags. Pistols are carried unloaded. Ammo is seperate in containers, mags are seperate and unloaded. I've been told I'm okay w transporting this way to/from the range but I often wonder how much of it is at the descretion or mood of the officer should a road stop ever occur. The Wilson TAC bag makes it convenient and from what I believe law abiding.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Not completely wrong,just not the way the law is actually written.The same can be said with "straight to the range and home,but you can't stop anywhere" or "has to be in a locked case",etc.I have a soft-sided range bag (2 compartments) that I use 90% of the time.What I do is put the handgun(s) in a soft case in 1 side and the ammo on the other.

I do the same and one of the ranges I shoot at has lots of police officers from time to time and they have never said a work. The problem is they know I have a MD ccw so they might just let it go.

Gary Slider

Feb 15, 2009
    BillBravo All the links on the MD page worked for me in Internet Explorer Firefox and on my NEXUS 7 Tablet. Now the Links to Statutes are on NexisLexis and you to open NexisLexis and search the MD laws for the quote Statute. You can not link to any file inside Nexis.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Just FYI. When I transport a weapon and ammo in the same vehicle, I put all of my ammo in an old steel toolbox with a lock on it. Weapons are empty in cases or range bags.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Here is the actual statute 4-203
    (4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources–sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;
    No requirement for separate storage or locked case .

scribe556

Apr 3, 2009
    Ok,

So I've got another question: What about being a designated collector and transporting
    part of your collection to/from another residence for viewing of that part of your collection?

Do the same rules apply? Does Maryland Law include this as part of the activities allowed?

Thanks....

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Ok,

So I've got another question: What about being a designated collector and transporting
    part of your collection to/from another residence for viewing of that part of your collection?

Do the same rules apply? Does Maryland Law include this as part of the activities allowed?

Thanks....

Yes.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MD 4-203

(5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector’s gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

No definition in the statute as to what constitutes "bona fide"

IANAL

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom