• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jvv26

Mar 13, 2011
    baltimore
    I just got this rifle, could not find much info. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. thanks

Attachments

• new 015.jpg
      new 015.jpg
      71.3 KB · Views: 237
    • new 014.jpg
      new 014.jpg
      85.1 KB · Views: 244
    • new 011.jpg
      new 011.jpg
      68 KB · Views: 240
    • new 013.jpg
      new 013.jpg
      48.4 KB · Views: 237
    • new 012.jpg
      new 012.jpg
      78 KB · Views: 240

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Looks like a "Rifle Number One Mark Three Star" (No1MkIII*) Made at Ishapore, India and Factory Refurbished in 1953.

One of the best military bolt actions of all time. The Mumbai police notoriously cowered behind theirs in the terrorist attacks there.

Nice rifle, even with the Century import mark.

StraightArrow88

May 22, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    Lee Enfield SMLE No. I Mk.III made in India. India and Australia I believe stuck with the No.I MkIII while the British went on to the No. 4 Mk.I's. These are neat rifles, I'd like to own one someday.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Note the No1 MkIII had a magazine disconnect.

This was eliminated in, I believe 1915.

The No1 MkIII* (Read "Mark Three Star") has no disconnect.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Need photos!!! I have a single Ishapore No1 MkIII* that's WWII dated, everything else is from between the wars. Still have yet to find a nice India Pattern (IP) example for the collection. Unlike the hot mess the Indians made of their horrible copy of the L1A1 the Ishapore SMLEs were well built (Too cheap to pay FN royalties for the FAL, they back engineered a hodge podge of Inch and Metric bits that don't interchange with most anything. Run Away!!). I esp. love those built under British supervision before Indian independence (no "Ishy" screws!). Quality stuff.

Af_catfish

Abandon All Hope
    Sep 6, 2011
    Bremen, Ohio
    Not hard to get the new stuff at all. It sells for around $20 for a box. About a dollar a round is a tad much for messing around though, I don't shoot mine very much anymore. About 10 years ago I bought a sealed tin of 300 rnds on stripper clips for $90. It was really good stuff. Surplus ammo is getting less common. The stuff you do find isn't the best. The Pakistani ammo works, but it's corrosive primed and cordite. Less than ideal.

Nice rifle. I love my No1 Mk III

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    The Pakistani ammo works, but it's corrosive primed and cordite. Less than ideal.

Nice rifle. I love my No1 Mk III

I have a couple of boxes of POF that don't work. At least the two or three rounds that I tried wont fire.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Try gunshows. I usually find commercial Prvi or S&B 150 & 174 or 180 gr .303 for about 12~15 a box. Its reloadable & non corrosive, no "nasty cordite" either.

Surplus is drying up, but you can find early (60's thru 70's) Indian that's decent stuff but POF is just to be avoided. It's not even worth getting to pull down for components.

jvv26

Mar 13, 2011
    baltimore
    I'll get some pics of the whole rifle up soon, when I disassembled for cleaning I found lots of wonderful cosmoline still protecting the innards. She's taking a bath right now

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I bought a ton of that POF .303 back when J&G had it for like 3 bucks a box. Has always shot great for me. Never had a misfire. Smells weird though when fired. Smells like curry, and I'm not trying to be funny.

As far as that rifle, I would have that looked at by a gunsmith before firing. Hopefully you got a real Ishapore rifle and not a Khyber Pass copy. But you want to be real careful about that with Enfield rifles coming from that part of the world. Some of the proof stamps look a little bit fuzzy which would give me pause. Again, I hope it isn't, but something to look out for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khyber_Pass_Copy

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom