• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kbroc2

Jun 1, 2013
    Harford
    I was looking into getting an action camera and was wondering if anyone here has a go pro or contour or sony and pros and cons of ones you've seen, used, owned.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Assuming you want it for Hunting ?

I use a my Sony HandyCam. Works great. The only problem is getting the animals to stand in the spotlight where you need them. Which seems to never happen. I have endless examples on youtube of my "attempted self-filmed hunts, but, I have yet been able to actually catch a hunt kill on camera. It's not as easy as you think and I guess that's why them TV shows have a a Hunter and Cameraman in the same tree.

Here's a few threads from MDS that might give you some insight:

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

Kbroc2

Jun 1, 2013
    Harford
    A little of everything from hunting mounting to a bow or gun to work attaching to a hard hat or even kayaking. Just curious if anyone had one and their toughts on one vs another. Go pro is the industry leader but contour is getting popular and sony has gotten in on the action camera scene

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    I have a contour roam. I use it mainly with a head band mount and find it difficult to point in the direction I want. Overall I like the camera but I'm not carzy about the mounting options. I mainly use it for hunting and flyfishing.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    A little of everything from hunting mounting to a bow or gun to work attaching to a hard hat or even kayaking. Just curious if anyone had one and their toughts on one vs another. Go pro is the industry leader but contour is getting popular and sony has gotten in on the action camera scene

Just don't buy anything that says "EPIC" on it. That was a poor choice for a hunting cam. It's excellent in bright light, but, sucks in low light. Two things you must look for is low light advantages and a wide FOV. My Sony HandyCam mounts to my guns and Bow just fine, but, the FOV is very slim. My EPIC cam is fine, but, the FOV is the same as the Sony. I have seen some vids on YT with the GoPro and the Contour and they both seem to do the same thing as my Sony with not much more advantage.

As a side-by-side comparison this is a GoPro on the Left / top and my Sony on the Right / bottom. The photo I took with the Mossberg and the Goose in my video is with the Sony on still picture capture. There maybe just a slight resolution loss on my video due to the processing of my video with Windows Movie Maker, but, the photo capture explains the resolution quality. I don't know if the GoPro even has that feature ?

Another advantage of the Sony is the ability to zoom in and out.

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    I use a GoPro for a dash cam, and it works quite well.

That's awesome that you can get a picatinny mount for the GoPro now - when I bought mine, it wasn't an option, whereas the Contour Roam2 had it.

Things to remember:

Contour's cameras use Bluetooth to connect to your phone for control, whereas GoPro uses a built-in WiFi hotspot to connect to your phone. I prefer WiFi.

LCD attachment for GoPro - I don't think this is available for Contour.

Battery life on the GoPro is OK - it lasts about 4 hours, IIRC. Get a 64gb card, and make sure it's a speedy one (some slower ones don't work with the GoPro).

Charging is quick - usually 1/2-1hr for me.

I did a bunch of research on Contour and GoPro before buying the GoPro to use as a dash cam for my truck. The GoPro just won out for me. YMMV.

-John

Hi-Torque

Jan 16, 2013
    Finksburg
    I have the Contour GPS, and it's pretty awesome. I love the fact that I can watch my movements on Google Maps while watching the videos.

However, I heard that the recently went out of business, so i'd go another direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom