• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • orionstrident

Nov 11, 2013
    This evening on my way home i saw 250+ geese in a huge group over route 3 in crofton. This saturday I have a field/pond blind reserved at millington, blind 10. My friend has a site at old bohemia in cecil field 5. Any advice on which you guys think will produce more?

James

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Well for those who did go out this morning good luck to you. I didn't bother. I have not seen or heard a Goose in this are for weeks and I spent several hours yesterday watching and listening to no end and not a single Goose spotted. I stayed home in the warm bed in front of the fireplace and might find something constructive to do with the Wife tonight. Hunting just isn't on the books for today. Might take my Nephew out for a Deer hunt tomorrow, but, we'll see. I'm looking forward to Goose reports from around the state though.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    The farmer called me last night and said not to waste my time or money. He said he ain't seeing much flying around or hitting any of his ponds

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    The farmer called me last night and said not to waste my time or money. He said he ain't seeing much flying around or hitting any of his ponds

I'd agree with that. I have seen a grand total of about 100 Geese fly through western Charles County in the past 2 months. The amount of birds here has been really poor.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    getting colder geese will be here soon

Yeah that's what I am praying for before the season is over... in March :sad20:

Last year I was putting them on the ground during the early resident season and it was 87 degrees and my glasses kept fogging up from the humidity out in the Wheat field. This year I have not seen a Goose to shoot at during a season.

iggy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 26, 2013
    Yeah that's what I am praying for before the season is over... in March :sad20:

Last year I was putting them on the ground during the early resident season and it was 87 degrees and my glasses kept fogging up from the humidity out in the Wheat field. This year I have not seen a Goose to shoot at during a season.

There are plenty in st Mary's on the Potomac. Been here for a month and a half easy.

We killed 3 today and finished up around noon. Should have had more but the wind wasn't blowing so the deeks looked too still. Plus we had about 150 live birds sitting in a little "safe hole" just up the creek from us. We still saw plenty, way more than this time last year, and had several bunches decoy in to the edge of shooting distance and peal off. Again the lack of wind allowed them to land however they wanted.
    We even shot a mallard that I called in as a single and saw one of the biggest flocks of mallards I have seen in recent years in these parts. Probably 25 birds. I thought they were black birds at first because there were so many.
    Lots of others hunting too from the sounds of it.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    There are plenty in st Mary's on the Potomac. Been here for a month and a half easy.

We killed 3 today and finished up around noon. Should have had more but the wind wasn't blowing so the deeks looked too still. Plus we had about 150 live birds sitting in a little "safe hole" just up the creek from us. We still saw plenty, way more than this time last year, and had several bunches decoy in to the edge of shooting distance and peal off. Again the lack of wind allowed them to land however they wanted.
    We even shot a mallard that I called in as a single and saw one of the biggest flocks of mallards I have seen in recent years in these parts. Probably 25 birds. I thought they were black birds at first because there were so many.
    Lots of others hunting too from the sounds of it.

The wind, or lack thereof, was a huge mess today. Had a decent amount of groups in the air, one around 11:00 that was about 1,000 birds. Had two groups working our decoys and one group of eight that came within shooting distance but we didn't call the shot because we were hoping for one more circle with the landing gear down. They came in close on the backs side of the blind and then flared from there.

I will say that the temps are not conducive to moving the birds down this way or keeping them looking for food while they are down here. Simple matter of science. The birds do not need as much food to maintain their body heat when the weather is so warm. Hence, less pressure for them to feed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom