• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yesterday I was watching some videos of Jerry Miculek. He is amazing in what he can do with a pistol. In one of the videos he is demonstrating the S&W Model 617 in .22 caliber. He said in the video that it is a very good handgun for someone that wants to get into competitive shooting. Basically, so you can practice alot without spending a small fortune on ammo. I am wondering has anyone else gone this route or is it better to practice in the caliber that you plan on using for the competition.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    .22's are awesome for training...especially in revolvers where mastering a double action trigger is a shooting art in it's own right. you may not be working on managing recoil like you would with a real .38, but you will be working on grip, sight alignment, trigger control and breathing. Once you nail those, it's easy to work on recoil management and speed. Getting a .22 is a great idea.

I am already proficient at the basics in reference to shooting of semi-autos and I know some of those basics such as sight alinment and breathing will carry over. But, is the double action trigger that much different? I have only fired one revolver and that was many years ago.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Yes, revolvers have their barrel further forward and you can typically get a higher grip (no reciprocating slide). Its a completely different feel than semiautos. They're very sensitive to any lateral movement from trigger pull. If you're proficient in pistol shooting, revolvers are a different animal and don't completely transfer.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I practice with the caliber I compete with. People argue that "trigger time is trigger time", but for me, what I need to practice is shooting doubles, which is really most effective when shooting the round that you shoot in competition.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    There are several good choices in semis with the option of a 22 slide. I like the EAA witness line because you can choose calibers, slide lengths,optics,triggers,magwells and you can mix match and swap them at will. With a few slides and options you can shoot 3 classes at the same event with the same gun. Training with the same frame and trigger makes precision easier.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    G17 in 9mm. You can shoot it in just about any competition and be competitive right out of the box. The g34 also for a few sheckles more.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I really have to agree with BenL on shooting the firearm and caliber you shoot in competion as recoil is a part of the shooting experience that has to be dealt with as well as all the other facets of competitive shooting; especially in a timed rapid fire match such as 5 rounds in 5 seconds as in some of the National Match stages.

glock_forty5

Ultimate Member
    Oct 30, 2007
    Start with deciding what type of competition you want to compete in then get some good instruction from a competition oreinted instructor. Software then hardware.

I understand about recoil and all of that and I am used to shooting different calibers. I have a G17 and a G26 that are my personal firearms. I also have a G22 for work.

In the competitions are you allowed to fire either Semi-auto or revolver or are they different classes. The reason for considering a revolver is to challenge myself with something that I am unfamiliar with.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I understand about recoil and all of that and I am used to shooting different calibers. I have a G17 and a G26 that are my personal firearms. I also have a G22 for work.

In the competitions are you allowed to fire either Semi-auto or revolver or are they different classes. The reason for considering a revolver is to challenge myself with something that I am unfamiliar with.

You have a G22 for work. What type of work are you involved in? LE? If you carry a G22 for on duty and train with it on a regular basis, I would suggest, if at all possible, to use that type of firearm in competition as you are trained and qual'ed for that sidearm and your life could depend on it while on duty. If you are looking to shoot National Match, that gun wouldn't serve you well at all. As someone else brought up in a previous post, what type of competition are you interested in persuing?

Yes I am LEO. I am interested in getting involved in the Steel Plate Matches as this reminds me of the old courses we did for training. I shoot my G22 for practice and qualifying at work that is why I wanted to challenge myself with something different. I am also not sure of the handgun limitations in this type of competition. I have only ever seen individuals using revolvers.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Yes I am LEO. I am interested in getting involved in the Steel Plate Matches as this reminds me of the old courses we did for training. I shoot my G22 for practice and qualifying at work that is why I wanted to challenge myself with something different. I am also not sure of the handgun limitations in this type of competition. I have only ever seen individuals using revolvers.

The type of match you are making reference to would be better answered by a person that shoots those type of matches as I am a veteran of Nat'l Match and Combat competion. Other than that, the only recommendation I can make is if you do persue the revolver thing, make sure that you maintain your proficiency and muscle memory with your issue duty sidearm as it is your first and more than likely the only weapon you'll have access to in the heightened state of affairs if needed.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Shooting at a high level has a few different aspects to it that can be learned in different ways.

Firstly it is trigger squeeze and quick sight acquisition. IMHO there is no better way to learn these than a .22. Higher calibers tend to lead to bad habits. The .22 is simple and you can build a solid foundation of muscle memory.
    Second it is knowing the gun in hand. This is the result of practice with the competition weapon of choice.

I am biased because I was taught at the ‘Mr. Miyagi school of shooting’ by mastering all of the “wax on wax off” fundamentals before moving up.

Learning to be proficient/safe to pass a LEO qualification and be an competitive marksman are different animals IMHO. The only question is how much time do you have and how good do you want to be?

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I was taught the "ol' school" way, learning to properly shoot a .45 1911-A1 in the military. You were taught from the ground up from beginning to end (if there ever is a such thing as an end) with that firearm in that caliber. There was no such thing as starting out with a .22 and working one's way up to .45 class. You started with .45, practiced and stayed with .45, that's it. As an NRA handgun instructor, I see and understand the use of .22 for starting out a newbie, at least in the civilian world. But as a somewhat seasoned handgunner, that individual should be IMO using the caliber/handgun that they will be utilizing in competition.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I agree with Lou (that seems to happen regularly....) on the use of the weapon you will use most frequently. I have many weapons but in practical shooting, I shot a 1911 because I carried a 1911.

As you say you wish to be challenged, revolvers will certainly do that. I have been shooting single actions recreationally for years and have a 629 that is mostly used in single action for hunting and target shooting. Only recently did I acquire on a whim a gently used 66 combat master for the purpose of learning to properly employ a DA revolver. I have about 500 rounds through it this month and am still definitely learning.

I would suggest the .40 glock 22 as a more than adequate weapon for most steel matches (only some require large bore, high velocity rounds to knock plates) that you will find locally. Bowling pins and the heavier steel plates, 10mm autos, hot loaded .45s, and harder-hitting revolvers are a plus but if you just need to mark the steel (or, as is generally the case, the plates are weighted and set so that a good 9mm will drop them) the .40 does fine.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Yesterday I was watching some videos of Jerry Miculek. He is amazing in what he can do with a pistol. In one of the videos he is demonstrating the S&W Model 617 in .22 caliber. He said in the video that it is a very good handgun for someone that wants to get into competitive shooting. Basically, so you can practice alot without spending a small fortune on ammo. I am wondering has anyone else gone this route or is it better to practice in the caliber that you plan on using for the competition.

Jerry is in a class by himself. He's probably the best wheelgun man alive. If you want to practice more, get a .22 conversion kit for your Glock. Unless you actually want to compete with a revolver. While using a revolver for IDPA is fun, it doesn't really get you where I think you want to go.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom