• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sonofagun1267

May 9, 2012
    Silver Spring
    I think I'm gonna use my tax refund to purchase a suppressor. I know this thread comes up a lot, I just need to know where to start, for someone to steer me in the right direction. The wait is gonna be the hard part...:banghead:

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I want to buy one myself but impending MD law has me second guessing myself. Even if grandfathered in, can ATF deliver Form 4 in time? My advice, call around and see who has one in stock to save some processing time. What caliber are you looking at?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    It's always a good time to own a suppressor! So, who says that the ATF determines the date of sale, the sale occurs the day you pay for it, the transfer of possession occurs when the stamp is issued. Ownership and possession are not the same! If for instance you have a sales reciept, the serial number, and the pending form 4, and Maryland decided to enact registration, they could not force you to disclose your federal tax return AFAIK (AKA the completed form 4). You might have to register it with MD, but you have proof of ownership, model, serial number, etc. So more than likely no problem!

If you fear it's gonna be banned you're more likely to have a pending Form 4 completed than to have no Form 4 on file and hoping that you can do it later. Worse comes to worse, you can file a form 1 so that you can build a suppressor as soon as you get the tax stamp back. It's unlikely that they will ban the manufacture of suppressors.

If it were my money, I would build a suppressor on a Form 1. I would do it the same way that was done by Kestral, with a short tube that can't possibly get damaged and the rest of the components bolting to that. I can't advise anything more detailed than that, but the ATF approved that suppressor, so it's a possible design that you can emulate in some fashion (provided it doesn't infringe on their intellectual property).

So my opinion is that a Form 1 would be the best way to spend $200 right now on a suppressor.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Check with Engage Armament is Rockville. They are a Class III dealer (NFA) and very knowledgeable about NFA items.

Ask for Andy, Ted or AJ.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I want to buy one myself but impending MD law has me second guessing myself. Even if grandfathered in, can ATF deliver Form 4 in time?
    The bill in question isn't doing anything directly to suppressors. The only effect it will have (if it takes effect) with regards to suppressors is prohibiting their use on post-ban "centerfire semi-auto with detachable mags" rifles and post-ban detachable mag handguns. You should still be good to go on grandfathered guns, rimfire rifles, bolt/pump guns, etc.

I'd be worrying a lot more about having suppressor _hosts_ than suppressors, IMHO.

sonofagun1267

May 9, 2012
    Silver Spring
    I want to buy one myself but impending MD law has me second guessing myself. Even if grandfathered in, can ATF deliver Form 4 in time? My advice, call around and see who has one in stock to save some processing time. What caliber are you looking at?

Yea man I am with you, I am looking at buying an Osprey in 45. Auto. It would really look nice on my USP.:party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom