• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tall.guy88

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    I just learned that 22 tracer ammo is made. I would like to get some. Anyone know a source?

I am hunting ground hogs and some of my 150 yard+ shots are off. Id like to see where they are going. Tracer ammo would be pretty cool to use.

Chevyman85

Feb 14, 2013
    DoCo
    I've got Piney Mt. tracer's. I wouldn't rely on them for tracking your shots. Some tend to fly erratically even at short ranges.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I've seen it at South Carroll Sporting Goods

150 yards is getting out there for .22lr on groundhogs. Might want to use 5.56?

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I just learned that 22 tracer ammo is made. I would like to get some. Anyone know a source?

I am hunting ground hogs and some of my 150 yard+ shots are off. Id like to see where they are going. Tracer ammo would be pretty cool to use.

With a .22 LR, no surprise. The drop is about 26 inches, you might consider another gun or expect the occasional lucky shot.

tall.guy88

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    With a .22 LR, no surprise. The drop is about 26 inches, you might consider another gun or expect the occasional lucky shot.

That would make sense. At 50 yards and closer, I am bull eyeing everything in my sights. Beyond that I am all over the place. I got some higher caliber stuff I can try.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    That would make sense. At 50 yards and closer, I am bull eyeing everything in my sights. Beyond that I am all over the place. I got some higher caliber stuff I can try.

Yup, you pushed the lil guy beyond it's limits. If you handload the sky is the limit with a 06! (shameless plug for my favorite)

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    piney mt sucks. out of a 50 round box, maybe half actually lit. And it ain't cheap, even before the mania.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Personally I would consider .22lr as inhumane out past 50 yards and maybe less. On the farm I use either 5.56 Win 50g Varmint or 6.8 Hornady 110g V-Max. One shot, one kill instantly. I was taught to minimize animal suffering and to do one shot kills whether it is as small as a varmint or as big as a moose. I usually do head shots only on ground hogs at whatever distance.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Personally I would consider .22lr as inhumane out past 50 yards and maybe less. On the farm I use either 5.56 Win 50g Varmint or 6.8 Hornady 110g V-Max. One shot, one kill instantly. I was taught to minimize animal suffering and to do one shot kills whether it is as small as a varmint or as big as a moose. I usually do head shots only on ground hogs at whatever distance.

100 yards is still realistic on groundhogs..... rifle, scope.... still very accurate, about a 3 inch holdover. Beyond that it gets unrealistic. ALL cartridges have their physical limits.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    .22LR is marginal at best on ground hogs, especially at that range. Better to use .17HMR, .22Mag or .22Hornet, or 5MM if not wanting to get as loud as .223.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    100 yards is still realistic on groundhogs..... rifle, scope.... still very accurate, about a 3 inch holdover. Beyond that it gets unrealistic. ALL cartridges have their physical limits.
    Agreed. I've killed a LOT of groundhogs out to 100 yards with my 1957 Rem 552. Many years with irons only. At that range I need firm support and a scope these days, but still does the job humanely.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Agreed. I've killed a LOT of groundhogs out to 100 yards with my 1957 Rem 552. Many years with irons only. At that range I need firm support and a scope these days, but still does the job humanely.

If you get a head shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom