Good Places to buy knives (folders) in MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    Just started getting interested in EDC knives. I'm looking for recommendations for good places to look at knives including Pawn shops and gun shops that usually have a good selection. I've already been to Edgeworks in Frederick several times. Just looking for more options. TIA!

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    May be best to hit some of the gun shows when one is near you. Often, there are some dealers there with options. Have to watch for fakes, but usually those dealers stick out.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Bladeforums has been eating my wallet ever since I was tempted to buy my first automatic knife.

Them things is like really really expensive potato chips. But they don't make you fat, so there's that.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Edgeworks (corner of 2nd and market) in Frederick has a reasonable selection and the owner is a nice guy. Very easy to spend 30 mins shooting the shit. I bought my 2 donor PM3s from him. I wanted to swap some scales.

I’m partial to Spyderco and Benchmade folder but he has several cases filled with other brands. He’s so close, I never look at his website but depending on where you live, would be a good way to assess selection.

1fec1625221a94220bb984d16b3bc100.jpg

edeae93740ac2c7fa9b90571dcecabd7.jpg

dea0784c15164a675f42dfe1c750d922.jpg

de5d4ed91933866ed6e22a042782f21f.jpg

e04f0227d3f948e4c87304c284ea1254.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Just started getting interested in EDC knives. I'm looking for recommendations for good places to look at knives including Pawn shops and gun shops that usually have a good selection. I've already been to Edgeworks in Frederick several times. Just looking for more options. TIA!
    ACE hardware has a good selection of Case folding knives.

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    Just started getting interested in EDC knives. I'm looking for recommendations for good places to look at knives including Pawn shops and gun shops that usually have a good selection. I've already been to Edgeworks in Frederick several times. Just looking for more options. TIA
    Where are you located? J&k in Aberdeen has some good deals on cobratec autos and others

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Any specifics will help make reccomendations. Budget, design, brands etc. Completely different answer if it's an inexpensive Kershaw, innovative spyderco, or collectible Microtech.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    Thanks for the replies. To answer some of the questions/replies. I'm located in MOCO. I've been to Edgeworks a couple times getting my kitchen knives sharpened. There's a story there for another time. I've had a Leek and a Cryo (broken) for years. I like the button, compression, and Axis/crossbar locks. I know the Spyderco's and Benchmades are good USA made knives with higher quality steels, I'm just trying to justify spending +$150 on a pocket knife. I'm definitely coming around to the idea though! I don't even want to look at autos due to their prices.

I bought a Sencut Sachse from Edgeworks. It's nice for $50. I know it's chinese made with budget steel 9Cr18MoV. It feels good in the hand. No blade play and the action is smooth. I'm not hard on my knives so I don't expect to need to sharpen it anytime soon.

I can see myself buying one of these in the future.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    There are so many decent knives out there that I think it would be difficult for you to get a bad one. For rugged knives for every day carry (EDC), a Buck 110 is the choice of many. Also, Cold Steel (no relation) Voyagers in 4-inch and 6-inch models are great. And if you can afford them, a Recon 1 is an excellent choice.

I'm not a big fan of liner-locks at all, especially 3-inchers. But the Cold Steel Tri-Ad locks in 4-inch and 6-inch models are superb. Many love them. Another great thing about Cold Steel is that their heat-treat is to notch. A great steel to avoid, generally, is 440A. Just about every 440A blade I've used has been horrible, but years ago Cold Steel (again, no relation) bought a batch of the stuff. And they made it purr! Blisteringly sharp. Just touching the sharp edge could make one bleed! Every other manufacturer was junk. And it all came down to heat treat. I still have some brand new models. Sharp, easy to keep sharp. Great.

Anyway, Lynn Thomson knows how to make them.

I like the Bucks and the Cold Steel.

live2hunt72

May 17, 2012
    I used to shop way back in the day at a place called Chesapeake knife and tool. Wish it was still around, but most of my shopping is done online, either Facebook groups, or blade forums.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Not sure if you qualify but first responders, Cops and/or Military (AD or Ret) get 50% off Spyderco.

I am a big fan of Spyderco's Dragonfly 2 line for EDC.
    The 2.3" makes it legal in most Fed buildings. At least the ones I work in and visit.

Screen Shot 2023-10-18 at 4.07.44 PM.png

The two longer, yellow, Spyderco Salt 2 knives are my weekend, on the boat knives. I chose serrated because I like it for cutting line quickly if needed.
    Spyderco group January 2022.jpg

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Not sure if you qualify but first responders, Cops and/or Military (AD or Ret) get 50% off Spyderco.

I am a big fan of Spyderco's Dragonfly 2 line for EDC.
    The 2.3" makes it legal in most Fed buildings. At least the ones I work in and visit.

View attachment 436495

The two longer, yellow, Spyderco Salt 2 knives are my weekend, on the boat knives. I chose serrated because I like it for cutting line quickly if needed.
    View attachment 436499
    Absolutely agree - this is an excellent choice for a very practical EDC that you can take into all but the most restrictive venues. The VG10 steel is easy to sharpen and has a keen edge. We have one in the kitchen drawer that probably opens every single package we get delivered.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Similar to the last two posts, I carry a Spyderco Endura as my EDC. If I needed a blade shorter than three inches it would likely be the Spyderco Delica. Hard knives to beat for the quality you're getting for the price you pay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom