Good online site for powder and primers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I need to buy some supplies. So far, I've always bought locally, but I'd like to look into a large enough purchase to make the hazmat fee worthwhile. Do you guys have any sites that consistently have good prices?

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I checked out Powder Valley and the prices seem pretty good. Reading the first page it mentions needing a FFL, and if you don't have one, they want a copy of your license. I'm assuming you just send it to them as an attachment in an email. Is that true? Also, what are their shipping prices like? Any idea about what they charge to ship two pounds of powder and four boxes of primers?

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    You don't need an FFL for Powder Valley.
    I have used them for several years now.
    I don't think I have ever sent them a copy of DL either.

Just put an order in and see what happens.

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    It's probably not worth it for a couple pounds and 2k of primers...local vendors can probably beat the total price...what kind of powder are you looking at ordering? There are usually folks on here with a good supply and rotating stock is always good practice...

kronusthebonus

Jackwagon
    Jul 26, 2010
    Hampstead
    It's probably not worth it for a couple pounds and 2k of primers...local vendors can probably beat the total price...what kind of powder are you looking at ordering? There are usually folks on here with a good supply and rotating stock is always good practice...

For some reason, local vendors all want insane amounts of money for primers/powder.

Clyde's wants like 40 bucks for 1K of CCI Large Pistol, Bass Pro is even worse.

I'd be willing to split a powder valley order w/ someone if they wanted to cut down on the hazmat fee and split shipping costs.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    For some reason, local vendors all want insane amounts of money for primers/powder.

I'd be willing to split a powder valley order w/ someone if they wanted to cut down on the hazmat fee and split shipping costs.

Dang! I keep reading these messages now that it's too late. I still ended up saving money, I think. I bought 4K of primers and 2 lbs of powder. The only thing I didn't like was, Powder Valley lets you go through the entire order process and never tells you what the shipping is. I figured it would get me to a screen where I could see it before the final submission, but it just submitted the order without ever giving me the information.

OEH

Nov 18, 2010
    29B
    Also, what are their shipping prices like? Any idea about what they charge to ship two pounds of powder and four boxes of primers?
    should be $12 to $14 + $25 Hazmat. Local shops want $29 - $30 + tax for a pound of bullseye and $40 - $50 per thousand primers. Doesn't take long to make up the Hazmat fee at those prices.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    At Gun Connection the prices aren't quite that bad. Something like $25 for powder and $40 for 1K primers. I figure I'll save at least $40 or so.

Cowboy T

You guys ought to come to the next Chantilly, VA Gun Show. We see a lot of folks from MD there. One vendor sells the Tula primers for $19/1000 (they work great, BTW). Another guy sells Winchester, Remington, and CCI primers for between $25 and $30/1000. The powder vendors there don't try to gouge you, either. I just picked up a lb of W296 for $19--not bad, considering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom