• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • intobaitem

Jul 31, 2010
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Hi, this is my first post, so I hope I picked the right forum.
    I recently got a Springfield XD9 tactical and was looking for a good Laser/light combo. I was probably going to choose between the Streamlight TLR-2s($235 from optics planet) and the Viridian X5L Universal Mount Laser/Light($279 from opticsale.com). Does anyone have any experience with the two, or have any pros and cons? Thanks in advance,
    John

thatguy

Feb 25, 2010
    Question - why do you want to put a laser/flashlight on your handgun?

Flashlight= Help with target identification in low/no light situation while being able to keep both hands on the firearm

Laser= Assist with shot placement when proper sight picture cannot be established

Those are my guesses, if I had some extra cash I would consider getting a combo for my G17. Not everyone has a high level of training that most Military and Law Enforcement members possess. In a high stress scenario, such as waking up in the middle of the night to someone breaking in your home, your 'fight or flight' adrenaline kicks in and your eyes naturally dilate as they try to take in as much as they can and it makes it harder for someone without more intense training to make a properly aligned shot because their eyes have a harder time focusing on a small area. Or if you have poor vision. IDK, some people argue that it just gives the 'target' a target to shoot at but I think there is a time and place for them.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I have a TLR-2 and my opinion is this.

Quality = Very Good.

Ergonomics = Very Good.

What I don't like is the engineering. I think it would have been much wiser to put the laser over the light rather than under it. The closer the laser is to the bore the better. With that big laser/bore offset, zero in at typical handgun use distance (7yds), how for high will your point of impact be if you are shooting at 20yds?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    With that big laser/bore offset, zero in at typical handgun use distance (7yds), how for high will your point of impact be if you are shooting at 20yds?

20 yards?!?! I don't think my entire apartment is that long! 21 feet is a reasonable zero for house clearing. Anything past that will be outside, which would probably be illegal in MD.

Jim

goneshootin88

Sep 22, 2009
    MOCO
    I have a tlr-2 on my nightstand gun. I like the laser/light combo a lot. As a guy that wears glasses for distance ( although my vision is still good enough to pass @ the MVA), I feel the laser gives me an advantage in a situation such as a break in @ 4am when reaching for my glasses will be a secondary thought.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    TLR-2 or Veridian XL Green laser

I also got a Laser defense taclight/ laser that puts out a 20mW green laser and 250 lumen Light/ strobe w a luxeon LED ( cant see the sights w a can installed :))

dirtybird

Mar 20, 2010
    I used to think laser light combos were a bit mall ninja and embarrassing but after taking a few training classes where instructors way more knowledgeable than me argued for them in HD senarios I feel a bit different about them now. Still feel a bit silly at the range with them. For me it comes down to one less thing to reach for when there's a noise in the night. I have my firearm with light and I don't have to fumble around looking for the flashlight my girlfriend used and moved from where I thought it was. Then I can focus on the threat or putting some skivvies on so my neighbor's aren't traumatized by a pale naked white guy with gun. Or PNWMWG for you milspec types. :)
    PS I have a TLR-2 and 2 of the Leapers UTG LED lights. I think the Leapers is more bang for the buck. http://www.opticsplanet.net/leapers-utg-integral-tactical-led-pistol-flashlight-lt-elp223.html

intobaitem

Jul 31, 2010
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Thanks for the info

Question - why do you want to put a laser/flashlight on your handgun?

Fair question. Thatguy pretty much sums it up. This combo would be for a bedside piece that would also be utilized by my wife. I don't have a concealed permit in MD, so the weapon is for HD, and so the pros outweigh the cons. One move accesses my weapon, a light, and more accurate sighting. My wife can handle the 9 fine, and I think the laser/light combo will give her confidence to use it if God forbid there ever was a need.

And I am so down with the moved flashlights. Only way to keep it with gun is to attach it.:o

Thanks everyone for the input.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I also wear glasses and have pretty bad vision without them. My TLR-2 is bright, easy to use and I can easily see the laser even without glasses anywhere in my house.

I've probably put 500 rounds through various pistols with the TLR attached and I've never had a problem. It aids in extreme rapid fire and holds zero as best a frame-mounted laser can (I guess).

May 13, 2005
    I have 4 insight/streamlight M6 laser/lights and have never had any issues with them on pistols or rifles. Many rounds fired with them mounted. Not sure if they still make them though.

thatguy

Feb 25, 2010
    What holsters are you guys using with your TLR's? I was looking at the Blackhawk XiphosNT light only because they make a serpa holster specifically for it, and i love the serpa holsters but it has lower lumens and no laser for the same price as a streamlight. So I have been looking at the streamlights now but I'm not familiar with any holsters I could use. Is there anything similar to the serpa holsters?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Insight has upgraded their M6 and M3 to the M3X and M6X. Biggest difference is more lumens. They have just upgraded all these lights to LED as well. You can purchase LED upgrade bezels for all these lights. The only other brand I would look at besides Streamlight and Insight would be Surefire, but their lights are crazy expensive.

I would only buy the Surefire if I was an LEO or in the military. The other two are much more reasonably priced IMO

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm sad to report I could have gotten the Surefire stuff for 35% off but didn't. Same with Eotechs, Aimpoints, and ACOGs. I waited too long, and the store selling them shut down before I could get them.

Jim

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    I was looking at the Blackhawk XiphosNT light...

I have the XiphosNT. It seems real bright in a dark room. It is supposed to put out 90 lumens. It will remove your night vision if you look at it. And it has the strobe function. It is also very lite while mounted. I have been looking at getting another for the wife.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I'm sad to report I could have gotten the Surefire stuff for 35% off but didn't. Same with Eotechs, Aimpoints, and ACOGs. I waited too long, and the store selling them shut down before I could get them.

Jim

Bummer. Surefire does not allow their dealers to discount much if anything off their products. That's why everywhere you search, their prices are about the same.

But the Streamlight and Insight lights are excellent

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom