• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    Hi guys..

What is the deal when you see a target with a good group on it say 1 or 1.5" grouping or something nice like that --- alot of the times the "group" is not on the bullseye and people still seem to be talking about it like its a good group..

I dont get it (forgive my ignorance). If its that accurate, why not adjust to center? why is it still a good group when its so far off bullseye?

Thanks

StraightArrow88

May 22, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    I've been guilty of saying that. I think most people say that because even though its not centered on the bullseye, the good group means you have a decently accurate gun. The sights are just a bit off.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    Taking marksmanship out of the equation, a small group is also a good indicator of accuarate ammo for that gun. All ammo brands do not shoot to the same point of aim so take that into consideration. If you are way off the bullseye than there is something wrong with the sights since every ammo I have shot will usually group within a couple of inches of the bullseye at 25 yards.

Af_catfish

Abandon All Hope
    Sep 6, 2011
    Bremen, Ohio
    When you're talking about grouping the important part is how close together the shots are. The challenge comes from doing everything exactly the same every single time. The bullseye is the point of aim. While it's amazing to get them in the bullseye it's acceptable to have a good group anywhere on paper cause that means you can always dial it in to hit exactly where you want. The first time I shot a 3 round group that touched I was shooting my Stepdad's rifle. I wasn't on the bullseye because it was sighted in for him. But I was extremely happy with the result.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Another school of thought. Going for groups you want to aim at the same exact spot every time. It is good to have a reference point to test your ammo's accuracy. If you start blowing out that spot, especially at high magnification, you lose your POA and the group wanders.

Once you find the center of your group, you can adjust the POA to the POI.

Other than that, depending on distance, everytime you move closer or farther away from the target, your group will move up and down anyway without adjusting elevation.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Group size measures the capability of the gun , the ammo , and your marksmanship. Often during a testing session you will test multiple loads , which will all have slightly different POIs. After loading is selected , the gun can presumably be sighted for desired POI.

BTW , it is not always dead on. Often it will be either intended for 6'o clock hold , or a specified distance high at a particular distance to allow for known trajectory at other distances. Ie 2in high at 100yd is a common sighting for modern rifles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom