• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Not a big fan of the Versa Max. I'm pretty sure we checked one out at Shyda's and none of us liked it. Plastic stock, and kinda cheap overall in most categories. Kind of like the counterpart to the Remington 887.

Besides the "old reliable" shotguns of Remington, they seem to be lacking by a lot in current modern/new era shotguns.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    If you have $2k to play with, I'd buy a 930 SPX for 3 gun and a Beretta 391 for clays. That'll put you right at about $1700 OTD and leave you $300 for shells.

If you don't want to spend the $900-$1k on a 391 (mind you, these prices are for a non-kickoff stocked basic model with no wood), then I'd go for a 390. BUT, I'd try to buy a used 390. All new 390's come with a Turkish barrel, the older one's were Italian (by older I mean 2-3 years ago). A used $390 should run about $500-$550.

IMHO, I would have a different gun for each sport. But that's me. If you are absolutely set on having one gun to do both, then the 930 (standard model/buy the mag extension and barrel, etc.) or an 1100 would be your best bet. But by the time you lay out the dough on all the crossover stuff, you'll be coming close to the cost of a second gun.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Mossberg 930 or Rem 1100/1187. The Rem has more stock options because of the Mossberg's "buffer tube" which eliminates folders and any adjustables I know of. I have been knocking around the idea of adapting an AR buffer tube onto my Mossberg so I could at least have an adjustable. Either gun has plenty of barrel choices along with stocks and mag extensions and sight options and rail systems etc etc to make them into anything you could want. My 935 with Choate stock and picatinny scope and light mounts can with the 10rnd tube cover resident goose and HD duty. Add the red dot for 3gun or plug the mag for migratory birds. Or the slug barrel with QD scope for larger game or the mag extension and light for HD.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Can't beat a used good condition Remington 1100, you can be effective for all the clay sports and also put a short barrel on it for home defense if that floats your boat.
    Great deals are out there, I picked up this 1100 early 80's trap gun that was new in the box for 650.00, should be able to pick up a nice field gun for 400.00 if you look hard enough.

Attachments

• DSCN0207.jpg
      DSCN0207.jpg
      65 KB · Views: 215

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    The Gun Shop in Essex has several Rem 1100's and 870's used, some with extra barrels. May be worth checking out.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    I don't know about 3 gun but I can say an A-5 or clone is perfect for me for clays. The high rib and humpback point perfect for me. And the recoil action is legendary for reliability.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I used Browning Golds for everything except home defense for years. Basically a more expensive Win SX-2/FN SLP with the autoloading 1st round feature. Benny Cooley used them for all his 3-gun and shotgun titles. I moded a 12 and a 20 with 8+1 mag tubes. But barrels while not as expensive as a Benelli are still well past $400 each. So before I moded the heck out of them I decided to look around and that was about the time the JM Pro 930 Mossberg came out. I bought a 930 Tactical for the price of a Browning barrel and got a 24" 930 JM Pro for $650. I like both although the Tactical had to get some rounds thru it before it started cycling 100%. The JM Pro was a used one (guy won a Benelli at a match and switched) with about 100 rounds thru it. No issues except me so far. I did extend the Tactical's mag from 4+1 to 6+1. Other than that they just run. They may not be the best but they are the best bang for the buck in 3-gun shotguns in my opinion.
    Just remember a Saiga 12 or an AR shotgun puts you in open class in 3-gun regardless of how you equip it. So if you don't like the idea of also buying a $3500 STI pistol you have to think about what you really want and can afford to shoot. Me I already had an open STI but still did not want to shoot open class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom