• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    This is either a joke or you are referring to them back in the 80's. That place is terrible now

Back in the day when I patronized them regularly (60's through the 80's) they were great but in more recent times they are just mediocre at best.

They were both good back in the day. I haven't had either in years though. From what I've heard Harvey's went downhill. Honestly I don't think I've had a Harvey's sub since they left the old location

If you really liked them for what they were back in the day, you may not care for them now. I know exactly what they need to be like they were back in the day but I have doubt that it'll ever happen.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    http://www.dalessandros.com/. You've check these folks out when in Philly. Great sandwiches. I take a cooler so I can bring a few samples back. They are a constant fixture on Philly's best "steaks" lists.

I'll be heading to The Oaks Extravaganza the weekend of April 1-3 and will certainly be stopping by Dalessandros. Been going there for years. First rate steaks.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Nice. We have also found that supermarkets around here also sell "shaved beef steak" which makes a fabulous Philly cheese steak. Am still looking for a good loaf of bread though. Haven't found the perfect loaf locally.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    They were both good back in the day. I haven't had either in years though. From what I've heard Harvey's went downhill. Honestly I don't think I've had a Harvey's sub since they left the old location

Yeah, the 2nd location, then the closing of the original, did them in as far as I'm concerned. I was never all that impressed with their Cheesesteaks...IMO, they weren't all that good, just a helluva lot of it. I don't think I've ever heard someone say how delicious they were...just how much steak was on them.

Filletti's was pretty good, as long as you didn't mind the roll turning to mush halfway through due to excess grease.

I like Pizza John's, but won't really make a special trip.

My favorite, and one I will stop at whenever I'm remotely close, is Pizza Roma's near Edgemere, on North Point Boulevard, down near the, now closed, Bethlehem Steel area. Mushroom Cheesesteak...

They have always been 100% consistent, and I don't think I've ever had one that was not as good as the last...I can't say that for any other sub, anywhere...Nothing is worse than getting an awesome sub somewhere, then going back at a later date and getting a crappy one...

There's also a little dump of a place, named The Musical Inn, on Route 40 in Aberdeen, that I used to stop in every once in a while, on the way home from the dragstrip. Been at least 5 years since I have been in there, but they had a good one as well...

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    Penn North makes a great a cheesesteak in Baltimorgue

down side is, ya gotta deal with the crowds

Attachments

• cheesesteak.jpg
      cheesesteak.jpg
      49.4 KB · Views: 262
    • DSCN8094.jpg
      DSCN8094.jpg
      74.7 KB · Views: 262

EAB

Mar 5, 2013
    There's also a little dump of a place, named The Musical Inn, on Route 40 in Aberdeen, that I used to stop in every once in a while, on the way home from the dragstrip. Been at least 5 years since I have been in there, but they had a good one as well...[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, they closed up.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    MacGerkes (sp?) at Cross Street Market has the best cheesesteak that I have had in MD. Their bread is not Philly quality, but it is good. Jeno's Steaks is pretty darn good for MD.

timkz

Oct 14, 2013
    Yesterday, I finally had the chance to try Merrit Sub shop in Dundalk. It was excellent and reminded me of the "old" Captain Harvey's. Not quite the obscene amount of meat as Captain Harvey's but close and better quality. I will be going back next time I'm in the area.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    No kidding, Musical Inn closed? I remember going there when they were in that trailer looking building right next to the location they were presently in, if I remember right, it was an old 7/11 they took over.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    This thread is making me hungry.

Working from home today, I'll be bopping over to Classico shortly to pick up a cheese steak with mushrooms and green peppers. And while they're making it, look next door at College Square Liquors for a new and different brewski to wash it down with.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    MacGerkes (sp?) at Cross Street Market has the best cheesesteak that I have had in MD. Their bread is not Philly quality, but it is good. Jeno's Steaks is pretty darn good for MD.

Jeno's is pretty good, they are in Severna Park though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom