• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I just started with traditional recurve archery about 2-3 months ago. I'm 64 years old, so it's kind of late to get started, but what the heck. I only plan on participating in the marksmanship side of the sport and not hunting. I bought a Samick Sage riser with Samick Journey 64" limbs at #30. I've mainly been working on my technique and shooting at 15 yards or so. My archery muscles have gotten stronger and I also want to shoot longer distances now (probably out to 25 yards or so). I think I'm ready to increase my bow weight a bit to accommodate the longer distance a bit easier. I was going to jump to a #40 limb set, but somebody told me I should probably only go to #35 as my next step, because a 10 pound jump is bigger than you'd expect. Is this true? I don't mind going to #35 if it is, but if #40 would make more sense, then that's what I'd want to do.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    If your shoulders are ok with it go up to 40lbs...I have shoulder issues and I shoot a 60lb compound bow...I dont shoot a lot but my muscles stay strong enough to pull my bow.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    If your shoulders are ok with it go up to 40lbs...I have shoulder issues and I shoot a 60lb compound bow...I dont shoot a lot but my muscles stay strong enough to pull my bow.

Unfortunately, it's one of those things where you don't know if you're shoulders will be okay with it until you buy it and can't return it. Is it a big jump strengthwise from a #30 to a #40? I'm not weak, but keep in mind my age.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Unfortunately, it's one of those things where you don't know if you're shoulders will be okay with it until you buy it and can't return it. Is it a big jump strengthwise from a #30 to a #40? I'm not weak, but keep in mind my age.

I guess it would depend on how easy the #30 is for you. If you are having trouble after about 20 shots then you just need to build yourself up to it. If its easy after 20 shots and you are still shooting consistently you could easily go up to #40. Where it gets to be "a lot" is #70 or greater...thats why my bow is at #60. Also try from a seated position. Thats a little more difficult to do and if you dont have any trouble that way I think you would be ok. #50 or #60 might be too much for you at this time.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I guess it would depend on how easy the #30 is for you. If you are having trouble after about 20 shots then you just need to build yourself up to it. If its easy after 20 shots and you are still shooting consistently you could easily go up to #40. Where it gets to be "a lot" is #70 or greater...thats why my bow is at #60. Also try from a seated position. Thats a little more difficult to do and if you dont have any trouble that way I think you would be ok. #50 or #60 might be too much for you at this time.

I'm good until about 30 shots or so. Then I can feel the strain on my muscles a bit. I can still shoot, but not as well at that point.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    OP, I have the exact setup you have... Sage riser with Journey limbs, in 35lb. You're welcome to try it out if you'd like before you buy anything.

Doofy_13

Dec 20, 2015
    Sykesville
    You should be able to trade those Journey limbs quite easily for a set of 35s. I shoot recurves a lot and yes 5 pounds is more than it sounds. Archerytalk.com and tradtalk.com are both good places to list for trade offers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom