• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Of all the used Glocks I’ve bought, the only part that came broken was a pre-2009 locking block on a three pin Gen 3 19 at one of the angles. I actually shot it just fine before I detail stripped it and noticed it broken.

Battlefield Vegas has done a number of threads on their rental guns. On the pistol thread, they report that 9mm Glock slides crack at some point past 100k rounds, though I think they were saying Gen 4s were failing around half that by cracking at the front ring. Gen 5s reinforce that front ring, so I’d imagine they last longer than Gen 4s.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    The only thing I care about “looks” with are women and dogs; guns and cars I don’t give a damn what they “look like”, as long as they do what I need them to, when I need them to do it.
    Dogs depend on the breed, some ugly mutts are pretty cool. :D

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    LEO trade-ins tend to be cosmetically challenged from holster wear, but have been shot very little. And some of them are nearly perfect. Departments rotate out all of their guns at once, even the ones that weren't issued. So night sights will be dim but mechanicals will usually be fine.

Last edited:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    "Trade-in" meaning used?
    I've seen LE shotgun trade-ins. They usually look pretty rough and used hard. What might be the risks with a LE handgun trade-in?

I have a police trade in Glock that's like a brand new gun. The previous owner probably fired it once a year for qualifications, carried with an empty chamber with his bullet in his pocket.
    I think police guns stand a good chance of being maintained by an armorer, too.

Last edited:

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    I’m just going to leave this here…

Attachments

• IMG_2822.jpeg
      IMG_2822.jpeg
      123.2 KB · Views: 48

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'd never heard of the Blue Label program so I'll check that out.
    No, it's not the cosmetics that I'm worried about, I just don't want a handgun that's clapped out and won't be reliable.

The cliché about LE trade ins is lots of holster wear , and only modest round counts. ( Subsititute vehicle rack wear for shotguns ) . ( And in the modern Era of polymer frames and high tech slide finishes , it's far less of a thing than the days of Blued Steel. )

My personal take is along the lines of : ' Pre broken in , and smoothed out on someone else's dime . And any factory glitches or fine tuning already done by the Dept Armorer . '

Class 1 exceptions- It was issued to a white shirt / staffer who primarily kept it in the desk drawer instead of holster . Even better are those that were kept in storage as spares , and never issued .

Class 2 exceptions- More common in Corrections or Security , where a supply of guns were used as dedicated Training Guns. These can rack up some round counts , but are still constantly inspected , and sent to the Armorer as needed .

Rarest of all - An individual Ofc was a dedicated competitor , or Training junkie, and sank $$$ of their own money into high volume training/ practicing with their actual Duty Gun .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Literally nothing.

I recognize that as having been written by Chuck Taylor .

In longer discussions of this , the oem plastic sights noticeably worn by about 10k holster draws , replaced then by steel sights , with no issued the remainder of the test . Magazines good for about 20k rounds.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    $540 G17 Gen 5 New at J&K in Havre De Grace. Typically where I buy most of my guns. They have some of the best prices around locally.
    that sounds like a pretty decent price esp if ffl fee is included. as noted above, if you want to add an optic make sure you get a MOS version, though their are a fair amount of g17 milled slide options.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    it's been years since i did a blue label but the downside was the wait vs just hitting a store or gunshow and grabbing one. that said i think some stores do have some blues in stock.

ps, isn't there also a glock a day in may thing going on here?
    Only waits are:
    1) seven days for MD to "Not Disaprove" you
    2)if you order direct from Glock the wait will be months, order from a stocking BL dealer.

GSSF and Vets get BL pricing with all the other normal ones.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Read here to see if you qualify:

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    I recognize that as having been written by Chuck Taylor .

In longer discussions of this , the oem plastic sights noticeably worn by about 10k holster draws , replaced then by steel sights , with no issued the remainder of the test . Magazines good for about 20k rounds.
    And this is why the Glock17 is my favorite. Although my 43X and 19X are similarly jus as awesome...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom