• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Howe

Howe
    Apr 27, 2010
    exMD
    Maybe its nothing just me being paranoid. Below is a few pictures I took on a slide after running just 150 rounds of Fiocchi 115 CMJ (from the box “Complete Metal Jacket”)
    Compare to the Walmart Federal 9mm aluminum that I used to run, this load seem to kick a bit harder than usual.
    After field stripe to clean, I discover these two spots that were shinny. I didn’t see this in the past and got me worry a bit. Let me know your thoughts.

Host: Glock 17 Gen 4, stock barrel with magpul mag.

Muzzle%20wear_zpsndij0eqr.jpg

slide%20wear%201_zpsdoy7b24a.jpg

Also, here is another wear to the slide. The suspect is Lone Wolf 40-9 threaded conversion barrel. After just 100 round shooting suppressed, and I find this shinny line wore on the front sight bolt.
    I didn’t trust the Lone Wolf barrel anyway so I stop using it, but since on this subject want to know your thoughts!

Host: Glock 23 Gen 3, LWD 40-9 thread conversion barrel, typical 115 gr 9mm from Walmart.

bolt%20wear_zpsppliuwu0.jpg

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    3rd pic, almost appears that the front sight is held by a flat-head screw, rather than a bolt like in the 1st pic.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Those are normal wear areas. It's just the finish wearing off. Lube those contact points if you want to reduce it.

I wouldn't worry about the ammo. It's factory ammo from a reputable manufacturer. That doesn't mean they can't have bad ammo, but it's unlikely. The Glock can handle it.

3rd pic, almost appears that the front sight is held by a flat-head screw, rather than a bolt like in the 1st pic.

Just finish wear from the Lone Wolf barrel. LWD does say that their barrels are made to fit tighter, so that's probably what happened.

Howe

Howe
    Apr 27, 2010
    exMD
    Those are normal wear areas. It's just the finish wearing off. Lube those contact points if you want to reduce it.

I wouldn't worry about the ammo. It's factory ammo from a reputable manufacturer. That doesn't mean they can't have bad ammo, but it's unlikely. The Glock can handle it.

Fiocchi is a good brand that I trust, but didn't feel right about this batch.
    The wear seems a bit excessive for 150 rounds. However, the wore area is still smooth to touch.

Round count on this gen4 is high, so I assume all the wore area shown already. It is the new one concerns me. I kept the contact points on the muzzle end between barrel and slide lubed, but I try not to lube the bolt face, don't want lube get near primer.

Anyways, this is my beater and I don't really care its appearance, just want to make sure I am not doing anything wrong.....

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Conversion barrels can cause serious wear to the breach face and rear hood recess in the slide. I have seen it numerous times.

Dont use conversion barrels.

As far as the wear goes, it does not look bad, if you cant feel it with your finger, its not something excessive.

What lubricant are you using? They look too dry, this accelerates wear.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Conversion barrels can cause serious wear to the breach face and rear hood recess in the slide. I have seen it numerous times.

Dont use conversion barrels.

As far as the wear goes, it does not look bad, if you cant feel it with your finger, its not something excessive.

What lubricant are you using? They look too dry, this accelerates wear.

Thanks for this post. Interesting to hear your perspective on this. For those of us too stubborn :sad20: to listen to your expert advice is there anything we can do to decelerate wear if we insist on using a conversion barrel? I bought a police trade in Glock 22 (excellent condition $299) as a beater, I am not a fan of fotay. I will mostly shoot .40 in it but occasionally may shoot 9 mm using a lone wolf conversion barrel. I have not done this yet. Any advice for protecting it from excessive wear while I am ignoring your other advice about not doing it :innocent0 ? The G22 is not a carry or home defense gun, simply a range beater.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thanks for this post. Interesting to hear your perspective on this. For those of us too stubborn :sad20: to listen to your expert advice is there anything we can do to decelerate wear if we insist on using a conversion barrel? I bought a police trade in Glock 22 (excellent condition $299) as a beater, I am not a fan of fotay. I will mostly shoot .40 in it but occasionally may shoot 9 mm using a lone wolf conversion barrel. I have not done this yet. Any advice for protecting it from excessive wear while I am ignoring your other advice about not doing it :innocent0 ? The G22 is not a carry or home defense gun, simply a range beater.

You can break the sharp edges of the rear hood of the barrel LIGHTLY with a file, thats about it. I still would not use one if I owned a .40 glock even if I fitted it.

After spending the money on a conversion barrel I think its more economically feasible to sell a .40 and buy a 9 at a small loss if you want to shoot 9. Otherwise stick with .40 in a .40.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    You can break the sharp edges of the rear hood of the barrel LIGHTLY with a file, thats about it. I still would not use one if I owned a .40 glock even if I fitted it.

After spending the money on a conversion barrel I think its more economically feasible to sell a .40 and buy a 9 at a small loss if you want to shoot 9. Otherwise stick with .40 in a .40.

Got ya. Perhaps the conversion barrel will become a SHTF emergency item for when my house is under siege by zombies and I only have 9 mm ammo left. :D If I am being attacked by zombies I won't care much about wearing out the Glock 22. :gun2:

I already have plenty of 9 mm Glocks so fortunately I won't need to sell the .40 :party29:

Let me know what you think about the article linked below. I don't currently have a 10 mm Glock but may acquire one someday. Apparently this guy shoots .40 through an unmodified 10 mm Glock. The article is pretty interesting.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/06/jeremy-s/40-in-a-10mm-glock/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom