• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    This will inspire the wrong kind of shooting.

Michelle-Viscusi.jpg

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Sometimes, I like my Glocks like I like my Girls

image.jpg

Dirty but I know they're both still willing to go bang.

G17, G22 and G21SF
    Only thing that can come close is a GI Spec, full Battle Rattle 1911A1

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008

Just FYI- there is a lot of bad information in that thread. I'm not going to try and diagnose what happened, but I've seen a lot of conflicting posts. Anyway, unless you're a certified Glock armorer, you shouldn't go beyond field stripping the pistol. However, if you do, the proper order for reinstalling the pins is the locking block pin (smaller diameter pin above the trigger pin (larger pin) goes in first, right to left. That ensures you get the slide stop spring in the right position when reinstalling the slide stop lever along with the trigger pin.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    You know with all this talk about "I want to hold wood and steel not tupperware..." maybe I should buy a pistol that ISN'T polymer so I can see what the hype is about! :lol:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    After 4 matches, I sold my G35 for a double-stack 1911 in the same caliber. I could not warm up to the Glock no matter how much I wanted to. I test drove four other plastic framed pistols, and ended up buying a CZ-75 and CZ SP-01. We're all different, I just shoot better with the steel framed guns versus the plastic framed guns. YMMV.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    After 4 matches, I sold my G35 for a double-stack 1911 in the same caliber. I could not warm up to the Glock no matter how much I wanted to. I test drove four other plastic framed pistols, and ended up buying a CZ-75 and CZ SP-01. We're all different, I just shoot better with the steel framed guns versus the plastic framed guns. YMMV.

But... You did not merely hold one once, or listen to someone else who did and choose not to buy it based on that erroneous information. You actually explored the platform and were able to make an honest and well informed choice in the matter. Which IS the reason I chose to submit this thread.

Too many folks, who have never fired (__insert make/model here__), are all to willing to leave a catty derogatory comment about things they don't happen to like. That is unfair to the new buyer who is just looking for their best deal on what will be their introduction piece.

This thread was intended as a kind of PSA to those who are looking... A simple suggestion to do what you did... Explore their options and THEN buy what fits. Rather than buying what ever they are told is better and ending up hating the sport and leaving because what they bought does not fit them. It can be very discouraging for a new shooter to be disappointed in their purchase because they did not do their homework and buy something that works well for them.

Our community needs more support. New shooters who get discouraged and leave are not going to support us. We do ourselves a great disservice when we discourage participation by not encouraging new shooters to explore and find that one firearm that fits them well and THEN spend the money on it. Or by trying to steer them away from firearms which we don't like, but just may end up being their favorite. The EGO needs to take a back seat and allow the new shooter (or the shooter who is branching out) to find the safest option for them.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    That's why, whenever someone asks about a new pistol, I always recommend going to a range that rents them and take them for a spin. Although I have yet to find a person for whom the CZ-75 doesn't fit.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    I've been running a glock for the last year and put about 10k rounds through it. I'm running it in USPSA Open division against custom $$$ 2011's.

The draw backs I found are
    -My trigger isn't close to what 2011's can have.
    -I can't run as long of a OAL, not great for 9 major but it works
    -The frame does flex. this makes the dot harder to track.
    -I also can't run a thumb rest, as any pressure it will flex the frame and move the point of impact. I think this will only happen when running a frame mounted optic like I am.

Those are the set back's I've found with the Glock, but you can push through them and be competitive. Although I know I could do better with a upgrade.

Mike

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I'd pay 10 to make me understand why this thread was even started?

Troll bait.

A pie is set upon the window sill to cool. This is done so that later on, those invited to partake of the pie may benefit from doing so.

The fact that some asshat chooses to steal the pie and run away with it for their own illegitimate pleasure, does not in any way alter the intentions of the baker of the pie.

:cool:

A pie is set upon the window sill to cool. This is done so that later on, those invited to partake of the pie may benefit from doing so.

The fact that some asshat chooses to steal the pie and run away with it for their own illegitimate pleasure, does not in any way alter the intentions of the baker of the pie.

:cool:

Phuqing Philosopher now??

That was actually quite good RD.:thumbsup:
    I might add that to my sig,with your permission of course.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I've been running a glock for the last year and put about 10k rounds through it. I'm running it in USPSA Open division against custom $$$ 2011's.

The draw backs I found are
    -My trigger isn't close to what 2011's can have.
    -I can't run as long of a OAL, not great for 9 major but it works
    -The frame does flex. this makes the dot harder to track.
    -I also can't run a thumb rest, as any pressure it will flex the frame and move the point of impact. I think this will only happen when running a frame mounted optic like I am.

Those are the set back's I've found with the Glock, but you can push through them and be competitive. Although I know I could do better with a upgrade.

Mike

Knowing beforehand that the trigger on a Glock pistol does more/different work than that on a 1911 pistol, I would never expect them to be the same.

Pulling the trigger on the 1911 (series 70) performs one function with resistance from one spring. That being the trigger spring. The hammer spring energy of the 1911 is already fully compressed and waiting for the action of the trigger to release that energy and allow the hammer to fall with the pulling of the trigger. (Series 80 also compresses the firing pin safety spring with each trigger pull.)

Whereas, pulling the trigger on a Glock pistol is actually performing three functions against the resistance of three seperate springs. The striker spring of the Glock pistol is only partially compressed and the pull of the trigger is used to further compress the striker spring to a point where the striker is released to fall forward. The trigger spring and firing pin safety spring are also providing resistance at the same time.

So... Yes the trigger pull is going to be different.

As for frame flex... I've never used a frame mounted optic on any of my Glocks... And I have never noticed any frame flex on any of them. But, I also have never been a competition shooter. Therefore, my experience in such endeavors is not up to your level. However, I do commend you on working through these "personality traits" of the Glock and still being competitive. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom