• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Careful its addictive.... have four gen1/1.5 full sized done, one gen2 full size on order; and two compacts.... even the 15 yr old said I had enough LOL Need to get him away from his mom :)

wow that's freaking impressive!

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Just wanted to say thanks for the tips and well wishes. I just finished the build, and everything seems to be working correctly and smoothly. Will try and get to range in the next week or so and see how it operates. I must say it was an enjoyable and satisfying project.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I finally finished tweaking my v1.5 a few days ago. The mag release had been very tight since day one, so I opened up the opening on the right side of the grip a little with a file and x-acto knife until it had enough clearance not to bind. It now works smoothly and returns to position the way it should when released.

I also finished removing all or the protrusions from the grip and made the area under the backstrap a little thinner. Admittedly, sanding it by hand to get the finish to look decent was time consuming but yielded the best results. I already scarred it up a little when I milled the frame. Against my better judgement, I listened to someone that told me that just using an unsecured vise would work just fine... Well, the work got away from me and I ended up with a few gouges that now serve to uniquely identify my first G-17 frame!

Since I am getting ready to mill a Polymer80 AR lower shortly, I invested $39 in a 3" cross vise and will be bolting it to the drill press table! The 80% lower was a gift so it is worth the cost of the vise to insure it is right when completed. This should eliminate future mishaps while milling on dad's drill press.

Pictures of my Polymer80 v1.5 before and after the modifications, here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mrzdvd941jctypr/AACXEahRZ34gvCGqaNjoTquua?dl=0

MindTheGAP

Jan 4, 2018
    Maryland
    I finally finished tweaking my v1.5 a few days ago. The mag release had been very tight since day one, so I opened up the opening on the right side of the grip a little with a file and x-acto knife until it had enough clearance not to bind. It now works smoothly and returns to position the way it should when released.

I also finished removing all or the protrusions from the grip and made the area under the backstrap a little thinner. Admittedly, sanding it by hand to get the finish to look decent was time consuming but yielded the best results. I already scarred it up a little when I milled the frame. Against my better judgement, I listened to someone that told me that just using an unsecured vise would work just fine... Well, the work got away from me and I ended up with a few gouges that now serve to uniquely identify my first G-17 frame!

Since I am getting ready to mill a Polymer80 AR lower shortly, I invested $39 in a 3" cross vise and will be bolting it to the drill press table! The 80% lower was a gift so it is worth the cost of the vise to insure it is right when completed. This should eliminate future mishaps while milling on dad's drill press.

Pictures of my Polymer80 v1.5 before and after the modifications, here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mrzdvd941jctypr/AACXEahRZ34gvCGqaNjoTquua?dl=0
    Looks good. I did a couple of the Gen1's but since have ported them to the Gen2's with the metal rear rail module. I've got 9 of these now and I can't imagine going back to buying stock. I also took all grooves off the grip and stippled it down to the magwell on my Gen1s. One in Black, one FDE.

Did you cut / file the small channel for the striker or did the 1.5 have that slot already cut? I remember wondering why I was dragging on my first one of these until I saw the striker hitting the polymer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom