• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    So I purchased a Glock 19 "Gen 4" yesterday, so hopefully picking it up next week.

I've watched a few videos on trigger upgrades like the Ghost Connector, to improve any slack and trigger reset.

Not having shot the Gen 4 before, but figured I'd take the plunge and get one anyway.

I've watched a couple of vidoes that report the standard trigger pull is higher than the usual Glock 5.5lbs

Watching the video below reports it's about 6.5lbs, and still 5.5lbs after the ghost connector install.

There also appears to be a new "bump" on the Gen 4 trigger bars, that is adding an extra 1lb~1.5lbs to the trigger pull.

Anyway I'll post the video for your opinions.

But I'm curious what mods/upgrade I should do to this Gen 4?

Not sure I want to grind or file anything down, so should I get a new (after market) trigger bar, and/or what other other mods?

I've never worked on the Glock internals before, so are there any mods I can do myself, or that require a gunsmith at a reasonable price.

After shooting my M&P with APex trigger, I think 6.5lbs certainly needs improvement on the Glock.

[YT]Mj8Qt8ofCAw[/YT]

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I'll start by saying LEAVE IT ALONE for the first thousand rounds or so.

If you go messing with parts and you find yours to have problems like others have you'll have to switch out the parts to stock before trying to get Glock to fix it.

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    I'll start by saying LEAVE IT ALONE for the first thousand rounds or so.

If you go messing with parts and you find yours to have problems like others have you'll have to switch out the parts to stock before trying to get Glock to fix it.

Thats a fair point, which is why I don't really want to file or grind anything, especially don't want to mod the frame.

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    There's nothing wrong with the trigger....its a Glock! :)

I'm not saying it's bad.... I just don't think it should be heavier than the the standard 5.5lb for all other previous Glocks.

I'd like to improve it though, but would rather know the "real" reason it's much heavier.

And do the right mod or upgrade to achieve that correctly.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I shot 500 through my gen4 g19 stock, then I called up GlockTriggers and got myself a new trigger! I have been shooting the Haley Skimmer for a couple thousand rounds now and love it, but I am sure that any of the options that GlockTriggers offers would be great. I personally HATED the stock g19 serrated trigger and that fact that the Skimmer came with a g17 smooth trigger was a big plus.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    I'm not saying it's bad.... I just don't think it should be heavier than the the standard 5.5lb for all other previous Glocks.

I'd like to improve it though, but would rather know the "real" reason it's much heavier.

And do the right mod or upgrade to achieve that correctly.

yeah it should be 5.5....odd that its not.

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    I shot 500 through my gen4 g19 stock, then I called up GlockTriggers and got myself a new trigger! I have been shooting the Haley Skimmer for a couple thousand rounds now and love it, but I am sure that any of the options that GlockTriggers offers would be great. I personally HATED the stock g19 serrated trigger and that fact that the Skimmer came with a g17 smooth trigger was a big plus.

What's the trigger weight now?

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    I really want a Skimmer but before I throw that kind of money, I would like to shoot one to see what all the hype is about.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I have a Ghost Tactical Ultimate 3.5# connector for my 4th gen glock. I don't know what the actual poundage is on the gun but it is the only internal modification I have done to the gun in 4500 rounds of shooting. I like it that way, I put them in all of my Glocks.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    What's the trigger weight now?

I didnt measure it (and I dont measure any of my triggers) because I just dont care what the actual measurement is. The description on GlockTriggers tells the story, almost no take up (there has to be a little take up due to the glocks internal safeties), very little creep with a nice predictable wall and clean break. Its basically the closest you can get to a single stage trigger in a glock. Mine has the 5.5 connector in it, option of 4.5, I carry the gun so a light trigger is a liability. I like to prep the trigger and feel the wall and then just apply little bit more pressure to get the trigger to break, the trigger is fine with gloves as well. The trigger is heavy enough that you can still feel the predictable wall with gloves on and not AD because of the lack of feel.

I really want a Skimmer but before I throw that kind of money, I would like to shoot one to see what all the hype is about.

Come to a Sanners idpa match and I will let you shoot some through it. You will have to wait until 2013 though because I will be out of town for work until January ish.

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    I have a Ghost Tactical Ultimate 3.5# connector for my 4th gen glock. I don't know what the actual poundage is on the gun but it is the only internal modification I have done to the gun in 4500 rounds of shooting. I like it that way, I put them in all of my Glocks.

I'll do the Ghost connector, and consider other options if I feel it needs to be even lighter after that.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    From what I've read, the Ghost Connector only - will net you 1 lbs. reduction from stock weight. To go lighter requires more mods than just the connector itself.

Second Name Taken's suggestion - Leave it alone for at least 1k rounds, then play around with it.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    That 'bump' on the vertical extension of the trigger bar, is to 'help' keep the vertical extension centered on the firing pin safety plunger.

Does it help????

The jury is still out on that.

I echo what's been suggested about shooting at least a thousand rounds through the Gen4, before altering it.

Field strip the pistol.
    Clean.
    Lube per the instructions.

IF you need to 'slick up' the trigger, you can do the 25¢ trigger job in a matter of minutes.

Congrats on the Glock. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Agreed, need to get some rounds through it first. Need to make sure its functional before changing anything.

I'd like to know Lord Chad's opinion on the 25cent trigger job, and/or other things to consider on the Gen 4s

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    There was a good article in US Concealed Carry about Glock mods, trigger mods included - I'll have to see if I can find it for you, guy covers a few areas - What's proven to be reliable, and what can contribute to light strikes.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    What you want is a nice and smooth take up, you hit a wall then the trigger breaks clean with no creep. You may also want a shorter and positive reset.

You can get major improvements with minimal cost by:

Replace the connector with Zev Tech 2.5 lb race connector
    Install a Zev Tech striker safety spring and trigger spring.
    Polish the trigger bar, paying special attention to the areas of contact.( Connector/ trigger bar engagement areas, Trigger bar/ striker safety area, trigger bar/ striker engagement area). You want to polish.. not change dimensions or geometry. Also polish the striker safety and deburr that channel that it sits in.
    ( cost < 40 bucks)

I use 400 grit sandpaper, Flitz /q-tips.. lot of elbow grease. This may give you a consistent 4- 4.5 pull, positive reset.

To get it lighter.... ( NOT FOR HD,DUTY,CCW).. you will need a lighter spring for the striker. But you will be limited to light primers. Some use a skeletonized striker.But It can still be unreliable.

expensive aftermarket triggers can also be purchased as a complete unit and drop-in.

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Seems the Gen 4 issue has been resolved in newer models.

Newer Gen 4s are now the standard 5.5lb

Will have to see when I pick it up and verify the serial number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom