• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Excellent assessment. :thumbsup:
    you are too kind:beer:

Agreed on most points. (Well, all but one......)

OP, the grip angle on the GLOCK is more like the P-08 Luger, than the 1911.
    The Ruger .22 is close to the same grip angle of the Luger.

I agree with everything that alucard0822 said, except for the grip or grasp of the pistol.

That 'thumbs forward' "stuff" doesn't work with/for me. It feels too un-natural.
    I'm a firm believer in using the stance/grasp/grip that works for YOU.

I grasp all pistols and revolvers, using a Weaver Stance or slightly modified Weaver Stance.
    "Push/pull". Thumbs slightly curved and relaxed.
    When the pistol is aimed at the target, I have much more control over the pistol and any recoil.

Here is what that G19 should be capable of.
    This is the FIRST group fired from my (then) new G19 Gen3.
    This group is one magazine full, using a 6 o'clock hold on the 10 ring.

15 yards. Ammo was CCI Blazer (aluminum cased) 115 gr FMJ.

I found out that MY pistol shoots to where the top of the front sight is, out to 25 yards.
    The grip used was a Weaver Stance. Standing. No artificial support.
    Group was shot at St. Charles Sportsman's Club indoor range.

Sorry. This is a crappy cellphone pic, from my old flip phone. (I wasn't expecting to take photos at the range.)

True, if a stance or grip doesn't work for someone, they should use something better, nothing ever improves if people simply stick to the training Du Jour, and it is important to at least learn other stances/holds as a comparison. Thing is the reason the training Du Jour is so popular is because it does work for most people, offers a standard in training, and tends to be the best at the time. For about the last 20 years that standard is modified/modern isosceles with a Letham-Enos grip(AKA thumbs forward), takes some work to adapt to it, but it's at least worth a try. Weaver was groundbreaking in it's day, but haven't seen any competitor or instructor use it in years, too limiting shooting while moving, doesn't deal with recoil as well, or off center targets.

alucard that should be a Glock sticky
    It took me an hour or more reading multiple threads after getting my Glock to get all this info and tell me my other pistols made me a spoiled shooter

Same happened to me when I was a new shooter primarily shot revolvers and tried a GLOCK, a few inches to the left reguardless of what I did and didn't like the grip. Years later I picked up the first gen 3 SF model to hit my LGS, went in with cash to buy something else, walked out with the GLOCK, was disappointed the first couple mags. This is after a few years of competiton, carry, and a lot of defensive classes with other autos, even teaching a couple myself. I had to really stop and concentrate on the fundementals to see that I was the problem, despite being far from a new shooter. Soon as I figured out what I was doing wrong, I fixed it, and hit center almost immediately, then grew to love them, well at least the SF and Gen4s, still not huge on the grip angle and size of the standard gen3s. Thing is the Gen4 and SF grip angle and shape tends to be very similar to a double stack 1911 with an arched mainspring, about 110 degrees, feels less than standard gen 1-3s because of the flatter backstrap, and for most, me included points much better. Most pistols range between 105-112 degrees, the P-08 Luger is 125 degrees wayyy more than a GLOCK, The infamous GLOCK grip angle isn't the horrific anomaly it is made out to be.

G19G4, 1911A1, G20SF, 1911 wedge MSH, not only are the grip angles about identical, the general shape is fairly close, with the GLOCKs obviously having a deeper and higher grip pocket.

20160302_135557.jpg

20160302_135717.jpg

20160302_135903.jpg

Last edited:

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    GLOCKs can take a little getting use to. Most people who are missing point of aim with them but still get groups tend to group low left. It is a trigger control issue. Some folks will tell you more finger, and some will say less. I say experiment and see what works for you. The GLOCK 19 is a fantastic gun with pretty good accuracy for a compact gun and has a power to weight ratio that is hard to beat.
    The gen 3 GLOCK 19 is one of the few guns I have more than 1 of because it works so damn well.
    I have learned in 14 years of competition with the GLOCK that you MUST press the trigger straight back. For me that means just about 1/4 of the first section of my trigger finger is all that goes in the trigger. This gives me the most sensitivity in feeling the reset while riding the trigger, and allows me to press straight back to break the shot.
    If you are anticipating recoil double up your ear pro (plug, and muff) to take some of the bang away. With the bang removed the recoil feels like catching a tennis ball thrown from across the room. Nothing to it.
    Next time have a friend who you know can shoot go to the range with you and see how the gun works for them. Having a friend with some time behind the GLOCK trigger would be a bonus.
    Also get some snap caps and have someone else load your magazines slipping them in at odd intervals between rounds. This will show you right away if you are flinching, and also help train you in clearing a type 1 malfunction.
    YMMV
    Good Luck

TopRacer

Feb 19, 2009
    Silver Spring, MD
    I am shooting ~3" high at 20 yard from a rest, using the G19 Gen 3, stock front sight, and OEM Glock adjustable rear sight bottomed out. I am ordering the Ameriglo .220" inch front sight. Hope I can adjust the rear sight to zero the elevation with the taller front sight at 25 yard.

Anyone experienced G19 is shooting high, and how to correct it?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I am shooting ~3" high at 20 yard from a rest, using the G19 Gen 3, stock front sight, and OEM Glock adjustable rear sight bottomed out. I am ordering the Ameriglo .220" inch front sight. Hope I can adjust the rear sight to zero the elevation with the taller front sight at 25 yard.

Anyone experienced G19 is shooting high, and how to correct it?

relatively common, a couple of mine were high out of the box, have to swap sights to hit dead on, or at least get into the adjustment range. The factory adjustables come basically bottomed out at the standard height(6.3mm), can adjust only within the range of the factory fixed sights(6.1mm(17L std)6.5mm(9/40 std), 6.9mm0(45/10std). 7.3mm), lots of up adjustment, no down. IIRC the stock height sights in for 7 yards, and are high at 25, but being ALL 9/40/357 pistols use the same sight heights, coupled with differences in ammo the POI will vary. The factory adjustables are flimsy and kinda suck, broke the one that came on my G30SF, I have ended up replacing all of my factory plastic GLOCK sights, and am much happier.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    If you want to see how accurate a G19 can be, check out hickok45 on YouTube. :)

Yeah, this.

It isn't the gun. It is you. You may just not be used to the gun. I think you said it was your first pistol, so I'm not sure how much experience you have. I was all over the place when I bought my first pistol (Glock.) It takes some getting used to, and a lot of practice.

That being said, the SR9 and Glock are nothing alike. Grip angles are significantly different. Also...for me, the SR9 stock trigger is better than the stock G19 trigger. My impression is that it is slightly lighter, and has a cleaner break. That is just my experience. I have put a few hundred rounds through a full size SR9 and I actually really like that gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom