• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    There have been a lot of comments about how if they don't change their attitude, they won't be able to stay in business, and surprises that they are somehow still in business.

It's my understanding, based on conversations with a guy I know who knows the owners/operators of Select Fire, that this is a hobby business - they keep it open because they want to and it serves their purpose to do so, not because they are actually trying to make money. Apparently they have other businesses where they make their real money. Keep in mind, this is just what I've been told by a friend, sort of a, "a friend of a friend of a guy who knows my second cousin once-removed..." kind of thing.

For my part, I experienced them sometime around 2008, and that was enough. I think I've been through the door three times - the first time check the place out to see what it offered, the second time where I went in and shot (didn't really have any issues that day) and then a third time when I went in to inquire about something, stood there for over 10 minutes and never even got acknowledged other than to be yelled at about a cell phone, (they were much too busy and engrossed in their own conversation to be bothered with something as silly as a customer) and that was the last time I went in there.

When I shoot, I go to On Target - I have no issues with the staff whatsoever - only the dolts who are using the range who clearly need some additional pointers on basic concepts such as muzzle safety.

GeorgeSSR

Jan 31, 2009
    They've had at least one documented suicide I know of, in 2004. On Target has had a couple attempts that I know of over the years as well. Not sure if any were successful.

I used to shoot there (over On-Target, I was dumb back then) since it was close to Harbor Hospital. I remember seeing Wayne pacing in front of the ER lobby one time and asking him how he was doing. His response? Along the lines of "if I didn't have to deal with idiots like you everyday I'd be happy". Stopped shooting there after that. Not sure if he was talking to me as a customer or since I worked in the hospital.

Also On-Target had at least one successful suicide, hence their not renting guns to people unless you're shooting as a pair policy. Funny thing is they wouldn't do it for a lone shooter who brought his own guns as well.

RonRJA

Oct 29, 2014
    Anne Arundel County
    Last time I went to On Target (about 3 weeks ago) I wanted to look at and price/purchase a S&W686 , my dream gun ... walked in with my girlfriend who enjoys shooting as well (love them Eastern Shore girls :) ) and we stood around for 20min and not even ONE acknowledgement that we were there or a "Can I help you with anything". This was on a Friday at around 1pm or so after we ate lunch. There was only one other person in the store and one person shooting in the range.

Time before that, about a year ago, I went with a friend of mine there was a girl working the counter checking out guns before we went in to shoot and she was struggling to pull the slide back on his 1911 to make sure it was not loaded and she turned it so that the barrel was pointed directly at her stomach because at that angle she was able to clear it. My buddy (US Army) and I's jaws literally dropped and we both looked at each other. We were so shocked by the whole situation we didnt even think to tell who ever the heck was in charge of it. On the way out after that visit the outside smelled like weed. I think it was mentioned on here about how they kicked some people out that smelled like weed lol ... must have been right after we left.

That will be the absolute last time I ever visit that place. By the way... their 686 was about $200 over priced :/

It worked out in the end though because I found an AMAZING S&W 586-1 6'' (pre-lock, firing pin on the hammer) with original wood target grips that is in great shape here in the Classifieds and will be picking it up tomorrow afternoon. Tyler Firearms did the transfer and was great to deal with (On Target doesn't do transfers lol). Might take the trip out to FreeState (about 45min drive for me) this weekend to try it out, have read good things about that range.

cryptoman

Dec 27, 2011
    I have been a member at On-Target for going on 4 years. I shoot there 1-2 times a week, and sometimes my wife will go with me to shoot. I get along fine with everyone there and have never had a problem. Do what you are suppose to do, follow the rules and there will be no problem. I have seen some customers get upset when they are asked to make a minor correction by the staff but have never seen any action that would lead me to believe that they are "range nazis" in any way. In fact, I see them cutting people a lot of slack as long as they are behaving themselves. There are a few things that I am not crazy about - that target holding system is pretty old (they use binder clips to hold a piece of cardboard which the target is attached to), the target lighting is not that great and it gets pretty warm in there at times. I asked them about the ventilation and was told that it is difficult to keep cold because of the extensive filtering system they have to use (I think there are 6 or 7 filters they use which really cuts down on the air flow). The older gentleman (his name is Ed) may seem gruff, but he is really a good guy who is very helpful. He also has a lot of respect from me because he is a Vietnam Vet. The place is not perfect, but I will keep renewing my membership as my wife and I like it there.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    We should make this an event, have someone roll in there with a hidden GoPro, a Glock in a chest holster a cell phone that constantly rings, a Bluetooth headset, a cheesesteak shoved in a Serpa and a revolver with a flashlight duct taped to it. Said person should also speak a foreign language.

Do you want to volunteer?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Do you want to volunteer?

I might be up for it, I'm working Saturdays in AA County now........ but I'd need to lose some weight cause my concealed carrier rides up cause of my belly. After perusing that old thread and seeing the dudes reactions, I'm not going anywhere near that place without armor especially if my intent is to F with him.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I might be up for it, I'm working Saturdays in AA County now........ but I'd need to lose some weight cause my concealed carrier rides up cause of my belly. After perusing that old thread and seeing the dudes reactions, I'm not going anywhere near that place without armor especially if my intent is to F with him.

If you have a second Kevlar vest, I'll go down there as a "independent" witness. Also so I can shoot a Kimber or HK, so I can practice my stress shooting for room clearing. :lol2:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Last time I went to On Target (about 3 weeks ago) I wanted to look at and price/purchase a S&W686 , my dream gun ... walked in with my girlfriend who enjoys shooting as well (love them Eastern Shore girls :) ) and we stood around for 20min and not even ONE acknowledgement that we were there or a "Can I help you with anything". This was on a Friday at around 1pm or so after we ate lunch. There was only one other person in the store and one person shooting in the range.
    So let me get this straight - you went in, and rather than take a little bit of initiative to approach a store employee with an inquiry, you stood around for 20 minutes with your thumb up your ass hoping someone would notice you?

While I agree that someone should have acknowledged you, wouldn't it have been better to at least have attempted to engage someone in the store?

Even with my experience with Select Fire, eventually I did try to interject and get some help, but they were so busy with their own conversation that they weren't even willing to try to help, which is different than anything I've ever experienced at On Target.

RonRJA

Oct 29, 2014
    Anne Arundel County
    So let me get this straight - you went in, and rather than take a little bit of initiative to approach a store employee with an inquiry, you stood around for 20 minutes with your thumb up your ass hoping someone would notice you?

While I agree that someone should have acknowledged you, wouldn't it have been better to at least have attempted to engage someone in the store?

Even with my experience with Select Fire, eventually I did try to interject and get some help, but they were so busy with their own conversation that they weren't even willing to try to help, which is different than anything I've ever experienced at On Target.

Well I was just going in to look at what their prices were like, once I seen they were ABSURD (over $200+ more for the gun I was looking to get) I knew right then I wasn't going to be buying from them anyways. They didn't know this though and I did want to look at what other guns they offered as well. So I didn't bother to go out of my way to receive some actual (didn't even have to be good! lol) customer service. Good attempt trying to turn this on me though. lmao

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Ok, so now it's a contradiction - you complained because no one acknowledged you, but now you say that you really didn't want their help because you felt the guns were overpriced. So which is it?

I will say that the kind of people that the gun business tends to attract for employees don't tend to be the most savvy when it comes to being good with customer service, and I too have experienced a few things at OT that kind of made me raise my eyebrow, such as the employee who didn't understand how to put an older Ruger Blackhawk on half-cock in order to free the cylinder to check it. (apparently newer ones are freed by opening the loading gate - I wouldn't know, mine are all too old) Another one is Brass Master Flexx, who wants to sweep all of my brass past the line as soon as I shoot it, preventing me from being able to police it up on my own so I can take it back home to reload it.

I'll also go out there and say that the prices on guns at OT are on the high side, but I'd also venture to guess that the average purchaser in there is not like you or me - we know the street price of these guns, and know how and where to purchase them elsewhere to get a better deal than what they offer.

Any time I have been at OT, there have been a couple of times where I wanted to look at something in the case, but I think they tend to take the approach there that if someone wants help, they'll ask.

In any case, mostly what I was trying to do was to point out that there's almost always two sides to every story (with the truth usually lying somewhere in the middle) and that there are also multiple approaches to various situations. It just seemed a bit off to me that you would wait around for 20 minutes without actually taking the initiative to engage one of the employees yourself.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    It looks like they have a new sideline business to keep them busy. You probably want to jump on this quickly because something tells me it won't be offered long.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=4476943&postcount=267
    Select Fire in Glen Burnie had a Ghost Gunner on display, BUT no examples of the final product or any 80% lowers. For $150 they will mill your 80% lower, of course without any paperwork.

DoormanTNT

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2012
    Glen Burnie

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom