• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    A heavy trigger shouldn't be thought of as a safety device.

I never said it was a safety device. Not that I agree with the concept for law enforcement but many large police departments around the country intentionally issue sidearms with heavier triggers.

However, I do believe that in our case that with that heavier first SA pull she is a lot less likely to have an accident with the gun. If the dogs are going completely ape shi!t and we have a perp coming up the stairs she'll have plenty of time to cock that hammer if she wants to. Also, with the P225s decocker I feel more comfortable that she will be able to safely put the gun away without incident.

As far as selling my M&P9; it's really a time issue. Right now it's just hanging on the door of the safe, out of the way.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    I assume you meant to say first DA pull?

I say that a heavy 1st DA pull is more likely to train a shooter to pull pull pull pull, and miss miss miss miss.
    It may only be 12 lbs to start with, and 4-5 after that, but my experiance says new shooters will spend a whole mag with a 12 lb finger.

A consistent trigger like the M&P, Glock, etc is easier for a new shooter to become proficient with.
    My point was that this advantage is of more value that the "safety" offered by a heavy trigger. Safety can be found in other areas that don't hinder learning.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I never said it was a safety device. Not that I agree with the concept for law enforcement but many large police departments around the country intentionally issue sidearms with heavier triggers.

However, I do believe that in our case that with that heavier first SA pull she is a lot less likely to have an accident with the gun. If the dogs are going completely ape shi!t and we have a perp coming up the stairs she'll have plenty of time to cock that hammer if she wants to. Also, with the P225s decocker I feel more comfortable that she will be able to safely put the gun away without incident.

As far as selling my M&P9; it's really a time issue. Right now it's just hanging on the door of the safe, out of the way.

I took a class and three of the shooters were green, very green. They all were using Glocks. No NDs at all. No issues on drawing or reholstering.

There have been reports of SIG's and other guns with a decocker going off. When using one of these, make sure the gun is pointed in a safe direction.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I took a class and three of the shooters were green, very green. They all were using Glocks. No NDs at all. No issues on drawing or reholstering.

There have been reports of SIG's and other guns with a decocker going off. When using one of these any gun, make sure the gun is pointed in a safe direction.

It's the law.

300RUM

Custom Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    North East
    The best thing is she has already said what gun she likes. Who is anyone to tell her no, she should get.....

I don't buy into the revolver is better for a new shooter. Both have a chance to malfunction and the shooter has to know how to run it. A modern duty pistol(M&P, Glock, XD, SR9...) will have a lower bore axis than a rovolver therefore less perceived recoil.

Get the gun and try out some IDPA or USPSA. It will teach alot of gun handling and safety along with repitition of running the gun:thumbsup:

glockfather

May 14, 2012
    Odenton, MD
    Glock or S/w m&p are both great choices but i alwa ys go back to the versatility of the Glock and all the different caliber combos you can use by simply changing the barrel and mag. Good luck

SC0UT

Mar 9, 2012
    I'm a female and just got into shooting this past March. I went to several gun shops to handle diffrent handguns on my own. (My husband was not aware I was doing this but I did tell him before I brought my new hobby home). My first was a Sig P2022 9mm. It felt more "balanced" in my hand. Since then I have purchased a M&P 9 compact and a Marlin 60.

The M&P is ok. It's louder then my Sig. It also seems to have a little bit more of a kick then my Sig which makes me choke the grip a little more and hit the 7:30 postion on the target.

As far as training for me my husband wanted to do it since he had "experience." I ddin't let him teach me. It's bad enough getting over a fear of guns to also worry that you may dissapoint him. So we called Donna at Worth-A-Shot. She met me at On Target and did a 1 hour one on one training. She was great and help me feel at ease. She was also really good at chatting with me to help calm my nerves after my first shot. (I was shaking a little). At the end of the first hour she had me hitting within a 5 inch grouping center mass at 21 feet. She built my confidence. I have a feeling that if my husband trained me and I didn't do as good as I did at the end of our first hour I may have gotten frustrated and lost a lot of interest in the sport. Here is the link for Worth-A-Shot http://worth-a-shot.com/

Also I would reccomend an outdoor ranges for her first time. The indoor range I could feel the precussion of everyones fire which made my adrenaline pump more which made me lock up more and shake while shooting.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I'm a female and just got into shooting this past March. I went to several gun shops to handle diffrent handguns on my own. (My husband was not aware I was doing this but I did tell him before I brought my new hobby home). My first was a Sig P2022 9mm. It felt more "balanced" in my hand. Since then I have purchased a M&P 9 compact and a Marlin 60.

The M&P is ok. It's louder then my Sig. It also seems to have a little bit more of a kick then my Sig which makes me choke the grip a little more and hit the 7:30 postion on the target.

As far as training for me my husband wanted to do it since he had "experience." I ddin't let him teach me. It's bad enough getting over a fear of guns to also worry that you may dissapoint him. So we called Donna at Worth-A-Shot. She met me at On Target and did a 1 hour one on one training. She was great and help me feel at ease. She was also really good at chatting with me to help calm my nerves after my first shot. (I was shaking a little). At the end of the first hour she had me hitting within a 5 inch grouping center mass at 21 feet. She built my confidence. I have a feeling that if my husband trained me and I didn't do as good as I did at the end of our first hour I may have gotten frustrated and lost a lot of interest in the sport. Here is the link for Worth-A-Shot http://worth-a-shot.com/

Also I would reccomend an outdoor ranges for her first time. The indoor range I could feel the precussion of everyones fire which made my adrenaline pump more which made me lock up more and shake while shooting.

Many thanks! This info will help her out a lot! At least the current GF doesn't have an irrational fear of firearms like the last one did.

JavaDan

Beer - Nectar of the Gods
    Feb 25, 2010
    Pasadena
    Assassin,

I would highly recommend the M&P 9mm Shield.

They have solved all the trigger issues with this model, the sights are very good 3-dots, it fits the hand really well (I have small hands) .

I just got mine last week and it runs like a clock.

From you're posts, it sounds like she is a good candidate for the NRA First Steps class. If she is interested in taking that class, send me a PM. She can then try the Shield in the live fire portion of the class.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Assassin,

I would highly recommend the M&P 9mm Shield.

They have solved all the trigger issues with this model, the sights are very good 3-dots, it fits the hand really well (I have small hands) .

I just got mine last week and it runs like a clock.

From you're posts, it sounds like she is a good candidate for the NRA First Steps class. If she is interested in taking that class, send me a PM. She can then try the Shield in the live fire portion of the class.

She has her heart set on the M&P9, but I don't see how classroom live fire will hurt with the M&P 9 Shield (get her used to the idea of the recoil, brass popping out, the motion of the slide, etc...). Before she/I (unknown if I am buying it for my collection and she will use it when she moves in or if she wants to buy it herself) go to fill out the paperwork, I am planning on getting her to take a class that may/may not have range time, hell I'll even pay for the class (awesome birthday present to let her farther into the things I love).

In all fairness to her, and no offense to her, I have not offered to let her use any of my sidearms, due to them being .40S&W or .45ACP (with the exception of my Ruger P89 in 9mm and it wants a 9mm companion lol) and she doesn't like how any of them feel when she is holding them. People will say a pistol is a pistol is a pistol, well they are right, except to those of us who can tell the difference from one manufacturer to another and if we like it simply by holding it. As much as I love this girl, the last thing I want is for her to get a pistol of her own, then have buyers remorse/not like it, and not enjoy the sport of shooting because of that.

I really appreciate the offer on letter her join a class you would be holding in the future, and when she reads thru the thread I know she will appreciate the offer too (she'll be using my sign in to do it). I did talk to her late last night and she said she was thinking of buying it in the next 3 months (maybe me being a Boy Scout and always being prepared rubbed off on her?), but I am hoping to get her into a class before then. I have a few questions for you though about the class since I never had to take an NRA Basic class or First Steps class. Would she be able to bring her own sidearm for the live fire if she wanted? How much ammo would she need to bring if she were to bring her own sidearm? Finally, would she get a certificate of completion or something to show some form of classroom/live fire training? The last question is a little out there but if MD ever goes Shall Issue in our lifetimes, I'm sure there will be a training requirement, and with how she is doing her research into things thus far, I think she will be applying with me when the day comes.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    For some reason CZ doesn't really sit well with me. I haven't been able to figure it out when I have held them. I know they are decent pieces but there is something about them I can't put my finger on.

MDPrinter

Jan 4, 2012
    Crappy triggers. Get something SA/DA like an FN or CZ.

For those who keep saying this I say that is completely your opinion. I went from the glock to the M&P 9c and couldn't be happier. I'm perfectly happy with the trigger. Maybe if I was shooting for competition I would care more but it suits me just fine.

rockstarrob

Junior Zombie
    Jul 30, 2009
    I fired a M&P at a range that had obviously been abused, but still worked and although the trigger (old version) felt sort of tied on with string at this point it was still a great gun. I'd choose the M&P (new version).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom