• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I'm a member of the IWLA too, but I can't bring students. I'm going to start to go to Cindy's (the former On Target, whose owners and employees were also apparently trained in customer dis-service).
    Do you have to kick a fee back to them for them allowing you to conduct your business on their premises? Many ranges I’ve been to do not allow outside professional instruction on their ranges. If that answer is no, then you should cut them some (or maybe a lot) of slack.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Yup. I know the rule.

****It's conduct rule #18 in the SOP at IWLA-WAC. They have their own instructors there - some of which do CrossFit, wear skinny jeans and ridiculously tight shirts. The other instructors are ok too, but don't look like they could do even one muscle up, or a decent amrap set of burpees followed by 10% bodyweight kettle bell swings.

They can shoot well at least, as well as teach - which is arguably more practical on a shooting range than CrossFit moves... Hmm...

ketl5.jpg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    ****It's conduct rule #18 in the SOP at IWLA-WAC. They have their own instructors there - some of which do CrossFit, wear skinny jeans and ridiculously tight shirts. The other instructors are ok too, but don't look like they could do even one muscle up, or a decent amrap set of burpees followed by 10% bodyweight kettle bell swings.

They can shoot well at least, as well as teach - which is arguably more practical on a shooting range than CrossFit moves... Hmm...

View attachment 441165
    Wonder who that might be. Thought I knew most of the instructors... :rolleyes:

:)

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    You’re old enough to have been exposed to lots of antiquities… ;-)

But not young enough to remember all of them.

Aging ain’t for sissies. Rock on!
    Rotary dial phones, pay phones and phone booths, vacuum tube radios and TV's, the indian test pattern when TV stations went off the air every night, heck, each broadcast day starting and concluding with the Star Spangled Banner, vehicles with manual chokes and no A/C but with no-draft windows and manually operated floor vents, ovens and ranges with standing pilot lights, the list goes on and on.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Rotary dial phones, pay phones and phone booths, vacuum tube radios and TV's, the indian test pattern when TV stations went off the air every night, heck, each broadcast day starting and concluding with the Star Spangled Banner, vehicles with manual chokes and no A/C but with no-draft windows and manually operated floor vents, ovens and ranges with standing pilot lights, the list goes on and on.
    Better than my own memory…wow.

LuckyShot

Pissing off Liberals
    Apr 13, 2010
    on 270
    i only went to gilberts once a month to practice pistols. I became an AGC member after gilberts raised their fee to 30$ like 6-8months ago and I gladly drive to shoot at AGC just to finally have a place i can enjoy shooting rifles as well.

I would be asked every time why dont i join their membership. I guess they dont expect anyone to do simple math but thats saving $1-$2 per month. I dont buy overpriced ammo, even their discounted member price is still more than online.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    ...whole house attic fans, five digit phone numbers, home delivered dairy products(including donuts), burn barrels in the back yard, standard transmission school busses...

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    ...whole house attic fans, five digit phone numbers, home delivered dairy products(including donuts), burn barrels in the back yard, standard transmission school busses...
    I experienced all except the digit phone numbers. The first three digits of my childhood number were 251, though it was called Alpine 1, for AL1... I did see the remnants of a family friend's party line. The insulators were still nailed into the trees along their property.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living

I experienced all except the digit phone numbers. The first three digits of my childhood number were 251, though it was called Alpine 1, for AL1... I did see the remnants of a family friend's party line. The insulators were still nailed into the trees along their property.
    We had a Dootie Diaper truck pick up and drop off diapers where I lived.

Damn disposable diapers! Worse than plastic cola bottles! :D

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    We had a Dootie Diaper truck pick up and drop off diapers where I lived.

Damn disposable diapers! Worse than plastic cola bottles! :D
    Oh, yeah, diaper services. I remember those now, and I'll raise you a Good Humor truck!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I experienced all except the digit phone numbers.

Even when I was young , we had 7 digit phone number . But it was a " Semi Party Line " .

You couldn't overhear the other party's. But if the neighbor was using the phone , when you picked up your phone you'd get a busy signal instead of a dial tone .

shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    Do you have to kick a fee back to them for them allowing you to conduct your business on their premises? Many ranges I’ve been to do not allow outside professional instruction on their ranges. If that answer is no, then you should cut them some (or maybe a lot) of slack.
    I have to respectfully disagree. I am paying a significant amount for my own membership, as well as bringing in students who are exposed to the range (for better or worse) and who who pay a ridiculous fee for just a few minutes, plus the cost of ammo (as previously posted, about $50). Some of them also join on their own after I bring them there. Unless the range wants to give me a percentage of the fees paid by members I bring in, or pay some of my operating expenses, the fees paid cover the time on the range. If I want a partner, I'll look for one.

BTW, several weeks ago Gilbert's stopped allowing outside instruction, with no notice to members. I found out when I met with 3 students to complete the course of fire and we all had to leave. Quite embarrassing.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I have to respectfully disagree. I am paying a significant amount for my own membership, as well as bringing in students who are exposed to the range (for better or worse) and who who pay a ridiculous fee for just a few minutes, plus the cost of ammo (as previously posted, about $50). Some of them also join on their own after I bring them there. Unless the range wants to give me a percentage of the fees paid by members I bring in, or pay some of my operating expenses, the fees paid cover the time on the range. If I want a partner, I'll look for one.

BTW, several weeks ago Gilbert's stopped allowing outside instruction, with no notice to members. I found out when I met with 3 students to complete the course of fire and we all had to leave. Quite embarrassing.
    You can disagree all you want, but many ranges prohibit professional instruction. That’s not my opinion, those are signs on their walls, so you can disagree with those ranges if you want.

As you said, Gilberts is now prohibiting the outside instruction. This is what I was referring to. Mabe you can strike up an agreement, as you said it will only benefit the range if they simply let it.

Maybe you can disguise your teaching as co-workers or family friends??? Best of luck, I’m sure it’s not easy to find solid range time for your classes.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I've never been to Gilbert's, but it's definitely the closest public range for me. Having now looked at their rules and hours, I don't really see me ever darkening their doorway. WTH is up with not opening until noon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom