• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    Seems as if Gilbert's is always looking to come up with new ways to annoy customers (and, of course extract another penny from them). I was there yesterday to complete a course of fire with a student. As I have for years, I sat down at the table in the showroom area for about 2 minutes to complete the necessary form. On my way out I was told that the newest rule (there's something new every 2 weeks) is that I would need to pay $25 to rent the table next time.

So let's get this straight. As an instructor I bring in students to the range, each of whom pay about $50 for probably 20 minutes, and we SHARE a lane. In the next 2 weeks or so I will be bringing in a total of 16 people. Gilbert's will be making $700-$800 from my students alone (not counting my own annual membership). And he has the gall to insist on me paying for 2-3 minutes of time sitting at a table. I asked if there was charge if someone has a medical emergency and needs to sit, or a requirement to rent floor space if someone collapses. The guy at the front desk wasn't sure, but no doubt this will be next. BTW, the place was just about empty at the time; I was not depriving anyone of the use of the space. Absolutely disgusting.

From now on, I'm going to use a lane for each student, even when I am with the person in my shooting lane. I'm also going to push my students to meet at Cindy's in Severn instead.

shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    Rent the use of a table? Man they must be doing some good drugs. I would have mooned them on the spot.
    The place is a dump, and at least one of the guys behind the counter is borderline nasty, yet Gilbert continues to come up with these stupid ideas that only alienate customers. What a fool.

No problem, though. I'll just take up a lane that won't be used (the student is paying for it anyway), and waste the range's time.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    It does amuse me that this place got a new lease on life with the whole buy ammo at range requirement being dropped from their zoning permit, and then they proceed to **** it up as fast and hard as possible. lol

I live fifteen minutes from them, and much as I'd like a quick place to go zero some guns, it's a no-go if I can't shoot reloads.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    This place isn't far from me, but the constant horror stories have prevented me from going. That said, I heard the same about Continental and rarely had an issue. Still more likely that I'll drive to NRA...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I live midway between Gilbert's and IWLA WAC. Guess where I always go.

When they had a gun store on Rockville Pike (Rt. 355), my wife went in there to buy an AR15 as a gift to me some 35 years ago. They were very rude to her and she left empty handed. From that point on, I swore to never cross their threshold, and I never have.

First impressions are lasting impressions.

shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    I'm a member of the IWLA too, but I can't bring students. I'm going to start to go to Cindy's (the former On Target, whose owners and employees were also apparently trained in customer dis-service).

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm a member of the IWLA too, but I can't bring students. I'm going to start to go to Cindy's (the former On Target, whose owners and employees were also apparently trained in customer dis-service).
    Yup. I know the rule.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    On Target, whose owners and employees were also apparently trained in customer dis-service).

But they were still light years better than the previous Select Fire .

And no matter what they do , Gilbert's will still have the best customer service of any commercial range in MoCo .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Did I read correctly in first post , that Gilbert charges $ 100 per 20 minutes of range time ?

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    First impressions are lasting impressions.
    Yup. I still have those impressions from Gilbert’s. I even went to the range to see once after opening and confirmed it’s just not a place/organization for me and really, in my opinion, most people. Surprised it’s still kicking around.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    The place is a dump, and at least one of the guys behind the counter is borderline nasty, yet Gilbert continues to come up with these stupid ideas that only alienate customers. What a fool.

No problem, though. I'll just take up a lane that won't be used (the student is paying for it anyway), and waste the range's time.
    Why wouldn’t they make you share a lane in order to not waste their time? Seems like it would be another opportunity to inconvenience you and your student.

Next time bring a clipboard in to fill out your paper work. But then I bet they would make you use one of theirs. For a fee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom