• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    My wife currently has not purchased any regulated firearms, but she now would like to have a pistol in her name before October. I would like to give her one of my handguns as a gift.

Reading this http://www.mdgunsafety.com/mspfaq.htm I have determined that to tranfer a pistol to my wife I will need to go to a state police with her and fill out the forms. Aparently the waiting period and fees are waived for a transfer as a family gift. My wife currently does not have the training cert.

1. Will she need to have the online training completed in order to receive this gift?

2. I have heard some horror storied about attempting to do transfers. Which police barracks would you recommend in the central MD area?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    My wife currently has not purchased any regulated firearms, but she now would like to have a pistol in her name before October. I would like to give her one of my handguns as a gift.

Reading this http://www.mdgunsafety.com/mspfaq.htm I have determined that to tranfer a pistol to my wife I will need to go to a state police with her and fill out the forms. Aparently the waiting period and fees are waived for a transfer as a family gift. My wife currently does not have the training cert.

1. Will she need to have the online training completed in order to receive this gift?

2. I have heard some horror storied about attempting to do transfers. Which police barracks would you recommend in the central MD area?

She will need the online certificate. I did a transfer @ Bel Air for my son last week and it was very smooth (that's probably pretty far from where you are though) I would call ahead to make sure they have the forms, there were reports of several barracks running out last week, oh and don't wait until next Tuesday!

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Where specifically are you? There is a whole list of barracks here. As said though, I'd call first and make sure they have the forms. There shouldn't be any "special hours" but check on that, too.

The fee is waived and so is the waiting period. However, not all the troopers realize that. You may want to print out the page that infers the waiting period waiver.

The existing regs (29.03.01.24 F) states,

F. If the regulated firearm is a gift to a spouse, parent, grandparent, grandchild, brother, sister, son, or daughter:

(1) An application to purchase or transfer a regulated firearm shall be completed by the recipient and forwarded to the Secretary within 5 days of receipt of the regulated firearm; and

(2) The $10 application fee is waived by the Secretary.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    +1 on Jessup. Near the intersection of Rt. 1 and 175 it is the newer building all the way on the right.

It is pretty easy to do this. The Sgt. at the front desk is very helpful. It doesn't take very long. Transferring to a family member is free. If you transfer to a non family member, the cost is $10. They won't accept cash for a transfer.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My first ( and last ) experience was at Rockville , and likewise went smoothly.

But from reading here , it does seem to be luck of the draw which Trooper is on desk duty at a particular moment.

IGOR455

Oct 12, 2011
    glen burnout
    i gifted my children seveal firearms and we filled out the 77r and sent it in with a ten dollar checks , we do it at barts all thetime so i just did as we do and no worries

Yoboney

Sep 2, 2008

If you are giving the firearm to a family member such as a wife and you are not divorcing her I wold give it to her and not do a darned thing. You are not violating nay law by giving her a firearm. Where did this paranoia come from? If that concerned move out of the state. :)

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Thanks all! I will have her do the online training and we'll see about going to the Jessup MDSP to do the transfer.

She wanted to get on record as owning a gun so she won't have to do more stupid training and to more importantly to let Annapolis know she's pissed. I am proud of her for that.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    If you are giving the firearm to a family member such as a wife and you are not divorcing her I wold give it to her and not do a darned thing. You are not violating nay law by giving her a firearm. Where did this paranoia come from? If that concerned move out of the state. :)

Because if there is a regulated firearm in her name before Oct 1st she will be exempt from having to take the special training for getting a HQL if she ever wants one.

And it makes more work for the MSP putting them further into the hole.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    I just did a handgun gift transfer to my 22-year old daughter on 9/17 at the LaPlata MSP barracks. The trooper was polite and proessional but as far as information, it was less than accurate.

1. The trooper asked how many rounds the magazine held because he said that it is illegal to transfer a magazine that held more than 10-rounds. I told him that the magazine only holds 8-rounds but even if it was greater than 10-rounds, the law does not take affect until October 1.

2. He said that I could legally transfer the handgun after 7-days. I reminded him that this was a gift transfer to an immediate family member who lives at the same address, so there is no 7-day waiting period.

Based on my visit, I recommend that you leave the magazines at home so it does not become an issue. Something that I did find unusual is that he asked for my SSN even though there is no space on a 77r for the transferee to list one. I asked why and he said that my name is common and other people's names popped up while performing a search.

cdstraw

Oct 9, 2008
    Frederick County, MD
    I transferred two handguns, to my daughter last week at the Rockville MSP Barracks.

The officer on duty was not particulary happy to perform this function. Specifically, he stated that "this service should not be performed by officers on duty". He also informed us that it may take several hours to complete as he was busy answering phones and he recommended we go to an FFL to conduct the transfer.

My daughter and I politley said "Thank You, but we will wait" and sat down in the chairs awaiting his attention. After about half an hour of quietly sitting and very little phone ringing he called us over to start the process.

It took about two hours from the time we walked in until the time we departed, with the transfer complete.

Previously I had conducted transfers at the Waterloo Barracks in Jessup. They were very responsive at the Waterloo Barracks. Much more efficient and accomodating.

Last edited:

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I transferred two handguns, to my daughter last week at the Rockville MSP Barracks.

The officer on duty was not particulary happy to perform this function. Specifically, he stated that "this service should not be performed by officers on duty". He also informed us that it may take several hours to complete as he was busy answering phones and he recommended we go to an FFL to conduct the transfer.

My daughter and I politley said "Thank You, but we will wait" and sat down in the chairs awaiting his attention. After about half an hour of quietly sitting and very little phone ringing he called us over to start the process.

It took about two hours from the time we walked in until the time we departed, with the transfer complete.

Previously I had conducted transfers at the Waterloo Barracks in Jessup. They were very responsive at the Waterloo Barracks. Much more efficient and accomodating.

So you were able to transfer two guns at once? I assume she wasn't a designated collector. is there a limit as to how many you can gift to a single relative?

cdstraw

Oct 9, 2008
    Frederick County, MD
    Correct, she is not a Designated Collector. I thought about it, but did not bring it up to the officers attention. I do not know if there is a limit. Just kept quiet, smiled and said Thank You!

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Took my wife to MSP Glen Burnie barracks last Sunday and transferred my GLOCK 19 to her.
    That was the best way for her to be exempted from the training requirement in the future.
    In and out in about 5 mins. since I arrived with parts 1, 2, and mental health from filled out.
    Other times I have used that barracks it has been a 20-30 min process.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    +1 for Waterloo barracks. Leave the gun in the car when you go in to do paperwork. The trooper will come out and verify the SN. At least that's how it used to be.

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I'm taking my son to the Jessup barracks tomorrow to transfer one of my stripped lowers to him - is the lower, ID's and fees all we need to bring?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom