• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Last night I got a couple deer rifles out and fired them.
    I usually have a few on hand for differing environments or specific weather conditions and purposes.
    Some are old stand-by's that I always seem to gravitate to so I'm thinking this year I may choose some different ones that I haven't used as often as of late or would like to use before I wind up having to put them down.
    I think I may just sit near some fields so two of them I zeroed at 300 yds. Others at 200,bush guns at 100 like some of the vintage stuff I like to carry about.
    What are most running for opening day and how do you zero them for where your going to be?
    I'm wondering what that looks like for people these days. I know Ar type rifles are popular with some of the modern chamberings but I use traditional cartridges for the most part.
    How about ammo? Do you use hand-loaded cartridges or factory production offerings. I only use factory ammo in one bolt action rifle that Ill use.

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    For shotgun/straight-wall counties I use AR-15 in .350 legend, factory ammo (Winchester) works pretty well. For other (normal) counties I use AR-15 in 6.8SPC with hand-loaded ammo (90gn Gold Dot). And for PA it is Rem700 in 30-06 (also hand-loaded).
    All the shots are usually in 100 yds range, no place for farther distances.

TwinTurbskis

professional amateur
    Jun 9, 2020
    Derwood, MD
    My go-to is a CZ 557 chambered in 270, zeroed at 200 yards. The main property I hunt has a lot of open areas so my average shot during rifle is around 150-175 yards. I use factory Winchester deer season xp ammo. Works like a charm!

I also have a Winchester XPR in 308 that I use as a loaner rifle for friends and family.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I reloaded some of those cases I got from you and laddered 30.06 this summer. Loaded with 173 grain spear tipped bullets and 37.5 grains IMR 4198 doing 2400 fps. sighted in at 100 yards 2 weeks ago and rang the 10" gong at 200 yards.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    One of the rifles that I zeroed yesterday was a 3006.
    The greater the distance, the better it shot but the zero distance is a stretch for light conditions for where I hunt.
    I used 180's and some H4350 powder.
    That was the first time I ever shot that rifle since it was new out of the box.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The only factory ammo I use is Win Silver box power point or xp,
    I think xp call it now.. Its for a 270 too except my rifle likes the 150 gr.
    Out with some Power Point right now. My rifle loves the 130 grain. I just need something to shoot at…

IMG_2244.jpeg

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Funny and fond memories with different rifles. Also, comical what mental gymnastics you may have used when you acquired them.

There's the Remington 760 in .30-06. That's been my main deer rifle, always with 165 grain handloads as that rifle is a bit fickle, and it always preferred 165 grainers over 150 grain. That rifle was originally purchased with Pennsylvania in mind. Put me in the Poconos, and the first bear I ever saw. Then there's the "tweener", a Remington 700 in .243 Winchester, purchased to be a backup gun to the '06, and to serve double duty for both .223 for varmint and '06 for deer. Then there's the Marlin 336. Fast handling, perfect balance, and the rifle that Chuck Conners woulda had if he coulda had it. Maybe.

Then there's the Savage Weather Warrior in .308, a latecomer which is stainless, and which shares bullet interchangeability with '06. So one less expense, you know....perfect for those wet days. And the .50 caliber TC Hawken, bought as a kit gun in 1981 I believe, and a rifle that at the time opened for me a whole new black powder season, which is why I bought it. It remains to this day my one and only venture into black powder, as it turned out nice and shoots nice, but I truly hate to clean the damn thing. Long gone Valley Gun Shop blued that barrel. I draw filed and sanded and polished that thing for hours. Memories.

And the .44 and .41 and .357 magnum handguns. Cuz like with porridge, there's too hot, there's too cold, and there's just right:). Because handgun hunting (like archery hunting), makes deer hunting a whole new sport, with a different set of rules. And there's the rifled slug guns that revolutionized shotgun deer hunting, and came along at a time when their smooth bore and Foster slug predecessors were more likely than not to yield minute of trash can lid 50 yard groups. Minute of pie plate groups with smoothbore shotguns and Fosters were seen at the time as being some truly good slug shooters. And if you had one that could do better than that, toss your wife out of bed, and give said shotgun her pillow, because you had a real keeper. All in an era of nowhere near the numbers of deer that you see today.

Gotta laugh at how most of us "rationalize" desired purchases. Most recently, I wanted a maple stock something, cuz well......I never owned one. And I need one real bad!

Just a truly wonderful (if oftentimes expensive) addiction. There are worse ones they say. And I believe them. Believe them or not, few if any addictions, could be anywhere near as much fun.

Good luck guys!

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    My go to for as long as I can remember is my Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in .30-06, topped with Leupold. Hand load 168 grain Sierra Game King boattail and I can't remember the other specs (thats why I write stuff down and hope I can recall where I put the paper) but IIRC its around 2950 fps. 2" high at 100.

Last year I was gifted a pre 64 Model 70 Winchester in 243. I topped it with an era correct Leupold. Factory Hornady Whitetail ammo, I think 100 grain projectile. I sighted it in at Hap Baker a few weeks ago, 1" high at 100. This is the one I'll be using this year along with my next entry.

For straight wall county use I'll have a Rossi 6" revolver in .357 magnum. Custom loads producing just over 900 Ft.Lbs. of M.E. Iron sights zeroed at 75 yards, I'm very comfortable to 100 though, as long as I have my glasses on. Where I hunt with it though it'll probably be around a 60 yard or less shot.

Black powder duties are handled by Thompson Center White Mountain Carbine which has filled countless freezers. Projectiles vary usually behind 90 grains of Pyrodex and a No.11 cap.

The Rem.700 and TC Carbine are like old friends.

And...I know its not part of the topic, but since I'm listing this season's arsenal, bowhunting duties are handled by my Morrison 15" ILF riser (with pinecone grip) and a set of Dryad foam core longbow limbs. 61" 43#@28". It added to the freezer last week.

Last edited:

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Strictly hunting this year with a .500 S&W lever action carbine rifle and a 7.5" revolver in the same caliber. shooting them loaded with 44 grains of #9 typical 2078 FPS. I in previous years I have used my 47/70 and 12-gauge H&R slug gun.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Its a toss up between a Rem 721 in 270.....first rifle my Dad bought for me.
    A Ruger 77 in 243 my late brother gifted me before he passed from cancer.

Both have dropped a bunch of deer. Both sighted in at 100 yrds. I usually hunt in the woods where that would be the longest shot possible. Most times I am shooting through small openings and I dont want the bullet to be hitting high at those distances.

Both hit about 8 inches low at 300 yrds.
    I have never shot that far at a deer, but at least know how to aim if I do.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Its a toss up between a Rem 721 in 270.....first rifle my Dad bought for me.
    A Ruger 77 in 243 my late brother gifted me before he passed from cancer.

Both have dropped a bunch of deer. Both sighted in at 100 yrds. I usually hunt in the woods where that would be the longest shot possible. Most times I am shooting through small openings and I dont want the bullet to be hitting high at those distances.

Both hit about 8 inches low at 300 yrds.
    I have never shot that far at a deer, but at least know how to aim if I do.
    Zeroed for 300 my 7mm's shoot 4" high at 200 yards.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I never shot a rifle zeroed at 300. Once my club gets their 300 yrd range back in order, I should do that .
    Across the road from that stand you sat in, behind that old farmhouse is a waterfowl blind out in that bean field now.
    100 yard zero will be just fine over there. Ill call, let you know when you can get in it.
    Just park on the side of the lane, in front of that old house.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I have 2 rifles I plan to take out this year both with handloads. Rifle #1 is a weatherby vanguard in 257wby zeroed@ 250yds with Barnes 101gr lrx @ 3680fps. Rifle#2 is a ruger sfar 308 16" zeroed @100yds with 165gr nosler ballistic tips @ 2615fps. The ruger is my " brush gun" the weatherby for open fields.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom