• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • msm

Oct 31, 2011
    Hey everybody,
    Was looking to maybe get into archery and eventually bowhunting. I've shot a few bows before, all were traditional long/recurve types. I don't want to spend a huge sum of money to get started. I just want a good idea of where to start looking as far as draw weights and lengths and overall length of the bow. That, and what I can do with maybe $100-150 to spend. Nothing fancy.
    If this is possible, thanks.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    used is the only way you will get close to that...

Bow hunting is about personal preference...and set up for you!

things you need to get measured for...

Draw length..
    Draw weight...most bow places have bows you can try out...(NEVER dry fire)
    brand of bow...all depends on you.
    types of broadheads
    types of arrows.
    types of rests
    types of releases
    types of peeps
    types of pins--single pin or multiple.
    types of targets.

these are just a few things to consider and all cost money...well above your $100-$150 range. Im not being an ass just informing you.:)

I've been shooting for as long as I can remember.I like to keep things simple, I shoot a compound (mostly) but still use fingers/no release.But it's an older PSE so it's a little slower than whats out there now.Alot of bows come with different cams/wheels that make draw length a snap to change.

Start off with a low weight (40-45 lbs.) to get comfortable and move up as you progress.I shoot 60 +/- which will take down a whitetail.I'd check with some local archery shops,which may have some used ones and can help you get it set-up.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    This set will get you in the game, won't break the bank and is completely user serviceable(no professional servicing, tuning or bow press needed)...assuming you're right-handed.
    link=> http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/jaguar-take-down-traditional-k.aspx?a=790129

The Jaguar is an ideal choice for the archer wanting to give the traditional side a serious try. Laminated wood and glass limbs offer a smooth draw, but send an arrow with authority. Limbs can be easily removed from the riser for convenient transport to your hunting spot and storage in the off-season. And as an added little bonus, it comes complete with a starter's kit to get you going in a hurry, all at a super affordable price. So why not let your curiosity get the best of you and give traditional a shot? Chances are, you'll be glad you did!

Includes:
    Case
    Arm guard
    Tab
    Stringer
    3 carbon arrows
    More:

Draw weights: 30#, 35#, 40#, 45#, 50#, 55#
    Brace height: 7"
    Mass weight: 2.7 lbs.
    AMO length: 60"
    Right hand only.

Attachments

• jaguar.jpg
      jaguar.jpg
      67.3 KB · Views: 265

Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    This set will get you in the game, won't break the bank and is completely user serviceable(no professional servicing, tuning or bow press needed)...assuming you're right-handed.
    link=> http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/jaguar-take-down-traditional-k.aspx?a=790129

The Jaguar is an ideal choice for the archer wanting to give the traditional side a serious try. Laminated wood and glass limbs offer a smooth draw, but send an arrow with authority. Limbs can be easily removed from the riser for convenient transport to your hunting spot and storage in the off-season. And as an added little bonus, it comes complete with a starter's kit to get you going in a hurry, all at a super affordable price. So why not let your curiosity get the best of you and give traditional a shot? Chances are, you'll be glad you did!

Includes:
    Case
    Arm guard
    Tab
    Stringer
    3 carbon arrows
    More:

Draw weights: 30#, 35#, 40#, 45#, 50#, 55#
    Brace height: 7"
    Mass weight: 2.7 lbs.
    AMO length: 60"
    Right hand only.

That is a great suggestion.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    That Jaguar takedown kit for about $200 is a pretty good deal for a new traditional bow- I know its not a Black Widow or a Robertson Stykbow but it will work fine - get no more than #50 draw and learn to shoot it off the shelf- no springs- no plungers- just a bear hair rest - and a finger tab- If you learn to shoot it instinctively you will be able to pick up any bow and with some practice shoot competently - use a paper plate as a target, there is way to much concern with arrow speed and 2" groups. Recurve bows can be very forgiving and do not require the tuning you need to do with a high speed compound . Check out craigslist for used recurves - I have a rack of them, some I bought for less than than $25 and they work fine --ask around there are a lot of them put away in closets 30 years ago that are still in great shape. A cedar arrow with a sharp broadhead will pass thru a dear moving at the leisurely speed of about 160 fps- but you need to be close.

msm

Oct 31, 2011
    Thanks a lot everyone. I'm going to look into it a bit further with these suggestions.

Gordon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2011
    Baltimore City
    Define your use hunting or target first. I have seen many good deals in the price range you mentioned.Recently picked up a recurve for $40 cleaned it up and made a new string shoots fine.Check out CL,yard sales, folks here ,ect.. good luck

Treeguy

Jan 14, 2010
    Boonsboro
    Go to a bow shop..get measured and try some bows..$150 does not get you set up...sorry but the sport is costly to get set up even buying used stuff.

Im sure you can get a old recurve cheap but then there is arrows and a finger pad and so on..

Ender

Jan 9, 2011
    In a similar scenario but I have zero experience with bows and don't know anyone that does. I just joined AGC in Marriottsville and they have an archery range, it piqued my interest and I'm always trying to expand my horizons. I like that starter kit but can anyone recommend a good starter book? There are a few on Amazon that are highly rated but they all look the same to me.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    In a similar scenario but I have zero experience with bows and don't know anyone that does. I just joined AGC in Marriottsville and they have an archery range, it piqued my interest and I'm always trying to expand my horizons. I like that starter kit but can anyone recommend a good starter book? There are a few on Amazon that are highly rated but they all look the same to me.

I learned by trial and error...i know not what you are looking for...but the books prob would be the same...if you have access to them at a local library maybe that would be helpful or a local bow shop near you...although sometimes they are not too helpful. the thing i like about bows is the shop customizes to you!

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Read Instinctive Shooting--by G Fred Asbell if you plan to shoot traditional--Also Traditional Archer Magazine is a good source for the recurve or longbow shooter.

Mossyoak

Never enough
    Jan 5, 2009
    Ceciltucky
    i started bow hunting becasue i found more places i could hunt for free. My buddy pointed me in the right direction however i relied on the local archery shop to help get me set up. Visit your local archery shop and just ask for some help.

diesel-man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 8, 2009
    I think that the other half of the money + is going to go for scent free camo clothing, boots, laundry detergent, and a tree stand, and harness. You'll need corn, some "co'mere deer", doe pee, etc., etc. In other words, the bow isn't half of it...

I'm not trying to discourage you, but it isn't like goin' out with a gun 'n bringin' one back.

:party29:

Ender

Jan 9, 2011
    Well, kit came in the mail today. Now I just have to figure out how to assemble since it didn't come with instructions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom