• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nknacd

Nov 16, 2008
    So I was wanting to get into IDPA but not sure which firearm to use. I currently own a Glock 23 40s&w and a 1911 Kimber Pro Tactical II. I don't have the money to buy 2 holsters setups so which should I go with?

ashershapiro

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 11, 2014
    Out of the 2 I'd go with the 1911 assuming it's reliable. I know Kimberly can be hit or miss.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    I've only done 1 IDPA match and am not classified, so take this for what it's worth...

Assuming you are equally comfortable/proficient on both, I would recommend using the Glock. The Glock is going to be cheaper and easier to run. Assuming it's pretty stock, you can run it in SSP, which will usually have more fellow new shooters. I think it'll be a better overall experience.

The 1911 lands you on in the CDP division, and I feel that's a real lifestyle division.

aaron.foulk

Feb 16, 2013
    Glock. Simpler manual of arms and likely more reliable if you haven't messed with it. Forgetting to flick on the safety on the 1911 before holstering is a fairly common reason for DQ's in the shooting sports even among those who shoot 1911's regularly. The Glock makes for one fewer thing to absorb when you're new. This is especially relevant if you don't currently have a holster for either. Whichever you choose, make sure you can holster your gun while wearing your concealment garment without muzzling yourself BEFORE you show up for your first match... I'm serious.... Practice this in a full length mirror before your first match. Then go have fun.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yep whichever you're more comfortable with. you will want 3 mags minimum.

perfect holster for either is bladetech DOH and just remove the offset piece for idpa matches. ditto for bladetech mag pouches.

if you tell us where you live and which matches you're considering, sure someone here would also lend you holster and mag pouches for your first match. once at the match you can do some "holster shopping" to see what might work best for you.

nknacd

Nov 16, 2008
    Thank you for all the help. I'm in Pasadena and have been looking at the Idpa matches in Annapolis for quite some time and figured I just need to do it as it looks like a good time

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yep, guy at the last uspsa match i did came and watched the morning match, regretted not bringing his gear, and ran home before the afternoon match to get his gear and shot the afternoon match.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Thank you for all the help. I'm in Pasadena and have been looking at the Idpa matches in Annapolis for quite some time and figured I just need to do it as it looks like a good time

It is a good time. I shoot there when time isn't my enemy. There are two other posters to this thread that I've shot with there.

AAFG has a Into to IDPA that you have to attend before you can join a match. Do you have the this important link: http://aafgidpa.com/

billymx48

Jun 20, 2015
    I have shot with a 1911 at most matchs practice and make the safetu on and off second nature. Tons or holsters either way so its all preference or another suggestion is what are you goin to carry or use most.

ivwarrior

Jul 20, 2010
    So I was wanting to get into IDPA but not sure which firearm to use. I currently own a Glock 23 40s&w and a 1911 Kimber Pro Tactical II. I don't have the money to buy 2 holsters setups so which should I go with?

Do you reload? Are better with one gun than the other?

If the answer to both is no, go with the Kimber. Then you're on equal footing, recoil wise, as the people you're competing against. If you're noticeably better with one than the other, go with the one you shoot best.

If you want to shoot the .40 and reload, then you can likely load your own where you're in roughly the same power level as all the 9mm guys you'll be competing against.

Of course, all the assumes both guns are dependable. If one "works when it feels like it" then go with the dependable one....

May 16, 2012
    Echoing statements above, if your Kimber is reliable. Find some good mags for it and run hard ball all day in Custom Defensive Pistol.

The G23 would be a good choice for the newer Compact Carry Pistol division, you won't be hamstrung by capacity (division cap is 8+1), and if you can tame the extra recoil, the extra mm of bullet diameter will help you on those *juuuuuuust* barely out shots that a 9mm would have got you a -1 or -3 with. As was said above, .40 can be loaded to serious powder puff (think 180 grains at 750 fps) and still make power factor in class, if you don't mind tinkering with handloads and recoil spring weights to get it running reliably.

Each of them have strong aftermarkets, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

tl;dr pick the one you like to shoot more, because you'll be shooting it a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom