• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I'm looking at getting a Maryland Wear and Carry permit just like everyone else, but I don't like the idea of doing training all the time, and if I'm going to spend time and money doing it, I might as well get the most bang for my buck (and honestly: my limited PTO - sigh).

The current law is here regarding permit requirements:

Reading through the law, it seems there are two ways that I as a non-veteran can bypass the training req't. One is:
    (4) has completed a firearms training course approved by the Secretary.
    If anyone knows a course, that would be awesome. I would prefer this, but I feel like the Secretary probably only hands this course out to his friends. I'm also cool with becoming that guy's friend if anyone has an in. I make good beer, wine, and cider and know how to curtsy when necessary.

The other option is:
    (3) is a qualified handgun instructor
    Now I can become a Maryland trained qualified handgun instructor, but I can get the NRA pistol instructor just the same - and that's valid everywhere. The NRA training appears to be lifetime with payments every two years to maintain an active license.

MSP site talking about Qualified Handgun Instructor stuff:

In order to become NRA Pistol Instructor I need two courses, the NRA Basic Pistol and the NRA Pistol Instructor. From https://firearmtraining.nra.org/become-an-instructor/:
    • Candidates must have completed the basic course in the discipline they wish to be certified to teach, e.g. NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting (Instructor Led Only), NRA Basic Rifle Shooting, etc.
    • Candidates must possess and demonstrate a solid background in firearm safety and shooting skills acquired through previous firearm training and/or previous shooting experience. Instructor candidates must be intimately familiar with each action type in the discipline for which they wish to be certified.
    • Candidates will be required to demonstrate solid and safe firearm handling skills required to be successful during an instructor training course by completing pre-course questionnaires and qualification exercises administered by the NRA Certified Training Counselor.
    • Candidates must satisfactorily complete an NRA Instructor Training Course in the discipline they wish to teach (e.g., NRA Basic Pistol Course), and receive the endorsement of the NRA Training Counselor conducting that training.

Is instructor led required for the Basic Pistol? It doesn't read as such to me, and the NRA has a $60 online course that I'd rather do, especially after having done the NRA hunter training, which was quite informative.

Are there other means of becoming a Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor? Perhaps another organization that has similar instructor training that MSP accepts?

I'll take any knowledge that you all have to help me . I doubt I would train many people mostly because I like to keep it low profile and fun in life, but I also think I would enjoy learning some of this training. I also would think it fun to participate in developing an open source set of slides for everyone to use for training, including information from sources around the country wrt wear and carry laws and defensive law realities.

Thanks!

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    3 classes:
    Basic Pistol
    Basic Pistol Instructor
    Basic Instructor Training

Your instructor status is not valid until you take the BIT.

Shorter turnaround and less cost to take the regular CCW class

elwojo

Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    3 classes:
    Basic Pistol
    Basic Pistol Instructor
    Basic Instructor Training

Your instructor status is not valid until you take the BIT.

Shorter turnaround and less cost to take the regular CCW class
    I asked the NRA via email today what is required, and they didn't mention "Basic Instructor Training".

Looking through the NRA Training website, I can't find "Basic Instructor Training" or anything like it in the Course Catalog. I can't find it as a course in the search function either...so how do you sign up for it?

It's not listed here as a requirement. Is there a chance that BIT is no longer required?

I'm okay with the extra 10 days of processing time and a few extra dollars from the perspective of NRA granting and maintaining the NRA instructor status and keeping the MSP license active. The rest seems pretty much equal in all honesty.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Yes, I recently updated my certifications and plan on adding one. BIT is required and expires every 2 years, not renewable.

It's not listed under any, because it's required for all.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Many but not all TC's giving NRA Instructor classes give the BIT. Sometimes you have to ask. Sometimes they include when they give the BIT in the course description. BIT can be done online.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    NRA already has the standardized slide presentation used across the country. It is called the NRA CCW class Powerpoint Presentation. It will be hard to do the same without virtually copying it.

Hattie

Sep 18, 2012
    Yes, I recently updated my certifications and plan on adding one. BIT is required and expires every 2 years, not renewable.

It's not listed under any, because it's required for all.
    Clarifying: is it only BIT that must be repeated every two years, or do any of the underlying courses also have to be repeated?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Clarifications:
    You only need to pay the fee every 2 years to keep your instructor status active. You do not have to retake any of the classes.

Your BIT certification needs to be no more than 2 years prior to adding a new instructor status. The only time you must take the BIT again is if you add an additional instructor status more than 2 years from your original BIT class.

Example:
    If you took the NRA Basic Rifle, Basic Rifle Instructor and BIT in 2015, paid the bianual fee and wanted to add Basic Pistol Instructor at this time, you would need to take Pistol, Pistol Instructor and BIT to gain Pistol Instructor status, because your BIT class was more than 2 years in the past.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    At the 2022 NRA Annual Meeting at the Instructors Seminar, the NRA Training staff made indications that in the future the BIT will be mandatory in order to renew your instructor credentials. As an instructor, you will need to pass the BIT before you will be able to renew.

It is in the works but no official deadline was discussed.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I'm looking at getting a Maryland Wear and Carry permit just like everyone else, but I don't like the idea of doing training all the time, and if I'm going to spend time and money doing it, I might as well get the most bang for my buck (and honestly: my limited PTO - sigh).

The current law is here regarding permit requirements:

Reading through the law, it seems there are two ways that I as a non-veteran can bypass the training req't. One is:

If anyone knows a course, that would be awesome. I would prefer this, but I feel like the Secretary probably only hands this course out to his friends. I'm also cool with becoming that guy's friend if anyone has an in. I make good beer, wine, and cider and know how to curtsy when necessary.

The other option is:

Now I can become a Maryland trained qualified handgun instructor, but I can get the NRA pistol instructor just the same - and that's valid everywhere. The NRA training appears to be lifetime with payments every two years to maintain an active license.

MSP site talking about Qualified Handgun Instructor stuff:

In order to become NRA Pistol Instructor I need two courses, the NRA Basic Pistol and the NRA Pistol Instructor. From https://firearmtraining.nra.org/become-an-instructor/:

Is instructor led required for the Basic Pistol? It doesn't read as such to me, and the NRA has a $60 online course that I'd rather do, especially after having done the NRA hunter training, which was quite informative.

Are there other means of becoming a Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor? Perhaps another organization that has similar instructor training that MSP accepts?

I'll take any knowledge that you all have to help me . I doubt I would train many people mostly because I like to keep it low profile and fun in life, but I also think I would enjoy learning some of this training. I also would think it fun to participate in developing an open source set of slides for everyone to use for training, including information from sources around the country wrt wear and carry laws and defensive law realities.

Thanks!

Much shorter road and less expensive to just do the training for the permit.

TD

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    At the 2022 NRA Annual Meeting at the Instructors Seminar, the NRA Training staff made indications that in the future the BIT will be mandatory in order to renew your instructor credentials. As an instructor, you will need to pass the BIT before you will be able to renew.

It is in the works but no official deadline was discussed.

The NRA will start losing instructors. They seem to keep trying to find ways to require more and more money.

While I know many talented and excellent instructors I do think it is to easy to become one. There needs to be a better vetting process initially, not constant added fees/requirements as time goes.

elwojo

Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I asked the NRA rep about BIT:

Basic Instructor Training (BIT) is not a stand-alone course. You take it as part of the instructor level, discipline specific course. Your trainer should be holding BIT in this manner so there’s no need to look for a basic instructor course, which by the way is not possible.

Emphasis mine, matching my previous comments. You can't just take BIT. BIT would have to be part of the pistol instructor course.

MSP Licensing Division (Brett Laziuck) said the following with regard to ways to get a Qualified Handgun Instructor:

You will need to provide one of the following to become a QHI in MD:
    1. NRA ID card showing an instructor certification, ID number and expiration date OR
    2. USCCA card showing an instructor certification, ID number and expiration date OR
    3. Employee Profile from MPCTC showing an instructor certification and expiration date OR
    4. Classroom roster showing that you have taught handgun instruction for a minimum of 12 months along with a score sheet showing that you have shot 80% or better on a police practical course. The course has to be given by an instructor already licensed by the Maryland State Police.

Given the above, USCCA is an alternative option. I'm seeing something like 2 days of practical training and some online pre-coursework. $600+ for the course, making it a little more expensive than NRA, but totally focused on concealed carry. It's a bit ironic that you can become an instructor in just as much time as it takes to become Maryland wear and carry certified...because maybe 16 hours is a bit much?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Does USCCA Allow you to become an instructor without first taking the course you will be teaching?

elwojo

Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Does USCCA Allow you to become an instructor without first taking the course you will be teaching?
    I honestly can't find any information on that.

There's sparse information about how these training licenses work - and that's the same for the NRA training courses too. It seems like a money grab, so I would expect "you have to take a course to then teach it". I would guess that a number of courses are covered during the first 2-day training course - but I don't see how you can learn everything you need for the 3 day rifle course in a 2-day instructor training course (albeit - there are additional online courses to complete before the 2 day training course).

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I was told an individual had to be an instructor for 1 year with another group (nra, uscca) before the MSP would qualify you as an instructor. Don’t think it’s written anyplace and not sure if it was accurate.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Any clarification for the NRA Basic Pistol online course being allowed as the prerequisite for the Pistol Instructor Course or does basic pistol have to be in person to qualify as a prerequisite?
    You can take the NRA On-line course but in order pass the class you will need to meet up with an NRA instructor to complete the course of fire on a range. Once you pass the NRA Basic Pistol class (either on-line or in-person), you become eligible to enroll in an NRA Basic Pistol Instructor class. Be sure you have a copy of your NRA Basic Pistol Course certificate as the TC conducting the instructor class should ask to see a copy as part of the registration process.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    You can take the NRA On-line course but in order pass the class you will need to meet up with an NRA instructor to complete the course of fire on a range. Once you pass the NRA Basic Pistol class (either on-line or in-person), you become eligible to enroll in an NRA Basic Pistol Instructor class. Be sure you have a copy of your NRA Basic Pistol Course certificate as the TC conducting the instructor class should ask to see a copy as part of the registration process.

Do most TC's give the BIT as part of an instructor class or are they given as separate classes in most cases? I have always been required to take and pay for the BIT as a separate class on a separate day, never all in one 8 or 16 hour instructor class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom