• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    If you don't have a place to bug-out to, you are scrod.
    We are in SOMD,, Calvert,, We have set up to stay put.
    Short of nuclear war, we are good to go. Rural area, dead end road, we all know each other and spend time working together on various projects,, and everyone is strapped and prepped.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    We are in SOMD,, Calvert,, We have set up to stay put.
    Short of nuclear war, we are good to go. Rural area, dead end road, we all know each other and spend time working together on various projects,, and everyone is strapped and prepped.
    My kind of 'hood'. Unfortunately, that's not where I am now. I plan on skedaddling on out to western Md or across the river into WVa. I have a lot of good friends out there who know me and know my assets.

rondon600

Mar 16, 2009
    Where did you live and drive during 9/11 that on 9/10 “the skies” were so noisy that it was noticeably different the very next day? I worked directly across the street from BWI for over 20 years and only very rarely noticed the air traffic noise.
    In Severna park bwi is very noisy. It was so peaceful considering what awful events just took place. Waiting to catch some landing gear!

Last edited:

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    My kind of 'hood'. Unfortunately, that's not where I am now. I plan on skedaddling on out to western Md or across the river into WVa. I have a lot of good friends out there who know me and know my assets.
    If you're going to move, make sure you move far enough to get into Free America. I made the mistake of moving not quite far enough 20+ years ago.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    As to original guestion.
    a inexpensive hi point in same caliper as hand gun carried.
    down side is they are not the lightest carbine out there to carry ,second choice break down 10/22 .light to carry compared to monkey gun.
    both inexpensive.

Question ,how would you conceal it and secure it in the trunk? My truck has lockable storage under back seat so never really thought about secure trunk carry?
    what are the options.?

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I work in a gun free, no pretty much everything free zone. So I’d have to get home to get to my “got home” gun.

TD

mal316

MDS Supporter
    Jun 3, 2023
    Frederick, MD
    Did someone post this already?

A takedown survival gun that weighs 3.5 lbs and fits in its own buttstock? We hands-on review the Henry AR-7 for assembly, accuracy, reliability, and more.

Also known as the US Survival Rifle

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    If i'm reading the OP correctly then the purpose is to get son from work/appt to a family rally point to the north-west. Thus it can be a bug out kit cached at the appt and size is not as much of a concern. I suppose kit choice would be dependent on the expected threat. Hard to run around with a long gun expecting trouble, without drawing unwanted attention, if it's an environmental/power/gas emergency. Hard to fight zombies/red dawn russians with an lcp

My friends in Garrett County suggest getting there before they blow the bridges.
    Seems wise for their part. though it may not be enough if several million desperate people all flee for the ethereal shelter of the mountains.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Did someone post this already?

A takedown survival gun that weighs 3.5 lbs and fits in its own buttstock? We hands-on review the Henry AR-7 for assembly, accuracy, reliability, and more.

Also known as the US Survival Rifle

AR-7 , takedown 10/22 , other .22lr options are relavent for " live off the land in quasi wilderness " type survival situiation .

This discussion is the opposite , with too many people simultaneously going the same way , causing gridlock at the least , and hysteria and breakdown on the table .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Seems wise for their part. though it may not be enough if several million desperate people all flee for the ethereal shelter of the mountains.

Ethereal or not , if for whatever reason the megalopolis truely turns to $*** , " head for the hills " will rationally become the least worst option .

Yeah , the locals can hold off most individuals , or even dozens . But if 100 or 200K incomers overrun a county with 10 or 20K population , sheer force of numbers will be a factor .

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    But out of your list , for other vaguely related purposes other than the inherently impossible, probably the G17 . With 4 mags of 124 jhp , plus another 100 rds or so in boxes in the bug out bag/ backpack/ duffle .

4 mags = 1 in gun .
    1 in single mag holder
    2 in double mag holder
    I disagree with the boxes of ammo. What is that, about five mags of ammo? Just carry five more filled mags.

I also disagree with what others are posting about the carbine. In a mass exodus scenario, in Maryland, most people won't have guns. Going full gray man is perfect. Just blend in while traveling in packs. Concealed. Or not at all if he doesn't have a clue how and/or when to use it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I disagree with the boxes of ammo. What is that, about five mags of ammo? Just carry five more filled mags.

That's certainly an option/ opinion .

But there is a point where boxed / can / ziplock ammo is smaller and easier to transport than loaded mags . And there are only so many plausible speed reloads in one gunfight , before it's settled one way or the other . I was figuring 68 round continous rapid rounds was a generous allotment .

4 ( standard ) mags = 68 rounds
    5 ditto. = 85 rounds

Or did you mean 4 plus 5 more ? That's 153 . Ok that's not far off the 168 for 4 mags , plus 2 ( implied 50 rd ) boxes .

I went with a single and a double mag holder on belt being easily doable and conceivable , the balance of rounds being in the pack . If you want to go 2 double mag holders on belt . ok plausible .

9 mags on bandolier Panch Villa style is over the top . You'd be back to 5 or 6 mags in the pack . Loaded mags in the pack take up more space than box or bagged ammo .

At some point , there is always on ammo count vs carrying ammo you might not need vs using the space/ weight for something else .

That's why for the old school quasi wilderness / live off the land survival scenario , it leans towards including a lightweight .22lr rife and a brick or two of ammo .

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Boys out here practice with rifles for 300 yard shots to get their buck every year. These bug outers running to the mountains for survival on someone else's land are going to be ended fast. They get pizzed at neighbors shooting over the fence. Preppers on their turf won't even get a second thought.

I know we will survive as I have stuff to grow and canned stuff and in with all the farmers. We will get communal real quick. I know people are going to pour out of Hagerstown and forage our way and the compost pile is going to get deep. I just hope for my boy to be able to make it back at some point.
    Clannish with a C. Yes they are. They also have a very different value system that most here might appreciate but not fully understand right away. They have little interest in “tell me” and are bigger on “show me.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom