• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Wally World has the 11 piece camping hatchet and knife set for $15. I saw this over at slickdeals and thought someone subscribed to this thread might be interested.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/740013039

b6042fa2-7c0a-4616-a6f2-8662c7ce4680.7e3988439cc147b0abcffeb13b9d6a67.png
    Finally, a compass. Just struck me as odd that it didn’t show up until page 5, or maybe I just missed it.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Finally, a compass. Just struck me as odd that it didn’t show up until page 5, or maybe I just missed it.
    Many today believe if they have their mobile phone, they don't need a compass. Well, maybe. They are relying on the GPS on their phone (only accurately shows travel direction when you are moving and have a GPS signal) or the magnetometer in their phone (sometimes not enabled and really needs to be calibrated to be accurate).

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Many today believe if they have their mobile phone, they don't need a compass. Well, maybe. They are relying on the GPS on their phone (only accurately shows travel direction when you are moving and have a GPS signal) or the magnetometer in their phone (sometimes not enabled and really needs to be calibrated to be accurate).
    I think a lot of it too is, do you need one in an area that is fairly populated and you are familiar with it?

Not saying one couldn’t be helpful. But I highly doubt I’d need one in the Baltimore-DC area. I am very familiar with all of the high ways and major roads. And it isn’t like you could conceal your way through much of the urban/suburban areas. You’d be crossing roads everywhere. At worst you might need to know vaguely the right direction, which is easy enough to figure out most times of the day except maybe heavy overcast.

Not saying a compass isn't an advantage. Just, IMHO, not actually needed unless in a fairly rural area. Beneficial, sure. Can save time from hiking the wrong direction for a bit before you get properly oriented by streets/roads/highways.

Many would be surprised just how many people under the age of 30 don't know how to read a map.
    Hell, my (41yo) wife was in her mid 30's when I found out she didn't understand I-695 inner loop vs. outer loop. It took me a half hour of explaining and drawing circles for her to understand it. Mind you she got her master's from Johns Hopkins with a 3.98 GPA, so she is pretty damn smart with most things.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Many apps on a "smart" phone require internet service to run.

Last November I visited my dad in Denver and we went on a hike up Starr Peake with an experienced guide. He said he had been up this route dozens of times. On the way back down he took a short cut and got us lost. I had my Android Pixel running GrapheneOS. The app I was using was the OsmAndroid, which stands for Open Street Map for Android. It allows you to down load maps to your phone and use your GPS on the phone without internet connectivity. Everyone else in our group had an Apple phone which wouldn't even display the maps without internet, which we didn't have. I set a marker where our vehicle was and was able to guide the group to them until we met back with the trail.

I'd still like to take a real land nav course. REI offers one a few times a year. Anyone take that or can recommend something else?

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Many apps on a "smart" phone require internet service to run.

Last November I visited my dad in Denver and we went on a hike up Starr Peake with an experienced guide. He said he had been up this route dozens of times. On the way back down he took a short cut and got us lost. I had my Android Pixel running GrapheneOS. The app I was using was the OsmAndroid, which stands for Open Street Map for Android. It allows you to down load maps to your phone and use your GPS on the phone without internet connectivity. Everyone else in our group had an Apple phone which wouldn't even display the maps without internet, which we didn't have. I set a marker where our vehicle was and was able to guide the group to them until we met back with the trail.

I'd still like to take a real land nav course. REI offers one a few times a year. Anyone take that or can recommend something else?
    Check for orienteering groups in your area.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I think a lot of it too is, do you need one in an area that is fairly populated and you are familiar with it?

Not saying one couldn’t be helpful. But I highly doubt I’d need one in the Baltimore-DC area. I am very familiar with all of the high ways and major roads. And it isn’t like you could conceal your way through much of the urban/suburban areas. You’d be crossing roads everywhere. At worst you might need to know vaguely the right direction, which is easy enough to figure out most times of the day except maybe heavy overcast.

Not saying a compass isn't an advantage. Just, IMHO, not actually needed unless in a fairly rural area. Beneficial, sure. Can save time from hiking the wrong direction for a bit before you get properly oriented by streets/roads/highways.

A few times in my life I've been in whiteout conditions in Maryland. Once , in an area I was really familiar with and decided I could keep going because of how familiar I was with the terrain and because I could still see the ground. When it stopped, I was surprised at how far away I was from where I thought I was.

Also, what if you get off of familiar roads? You might have to to avoid groups of helpful youths, etc. Or, like one poster, you might feel like the road might not be the best place to be.

Last, a compass may be the smallest, lightest thing on anybodies list in this thread.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I had an interesting 'what if' exercise last week. I made a Smokey and the Bandit run down to Jasper GA and back Monday and Tuesday. 700 miles each way. I thought about what I would need to get home if an EMP hit and the truck wouldn't move.
    I took a 4 season 2person tent, with 3 heavyweight emergency blankets- they're almost tarp like, a full size pack, 3 pr of wool socks, base layers, shirts and pants I thought would keep me warm on the hike back, and my carhartt coat, also a rain jacket. I had cotton gloves and fleece hunting mittens, an acrylic beanie, fleece balaclava and my cap.
    I had lighters, stormproof matches, a lifestraw, water bottles, an aluminum cook set and my compass.
    I took a bolt action .22 rifle with extra mags and 200 rounds, I carried my Ruger Sr9 and had 2 more 17 rd mags in holders, I also had 200 more rounds.
    I had a USA book map and individual maps of TN and VA I picked up at the rest stops on 81. My plan was to try and buy a bicycle and ride back home, shanks mare if I had to. No matter what I was going to do my best to get back home to my family.
    Realistically I figured it would take 3-6 weeks to get back by bike or foot.
    I also had a hatchet in a belt carrier and a bow saw.

What did I forget?

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    I had an interesting 'what if' exercise last week. I made a Smokey and the Bandit run down to Jasper GA and back Monday and Tuesday. 700 miles each way. I thought about what I would need to get home if an EMP hit and the truck wouldn't move.
    I took a 4 season 2person tent, with 3 heavyweight emergency blankets- they're almost tarp like, a full size pack, 3 pr of wool socks, base layers, shirts and pants I thought would keep me warm on the hike back, and my carhartt coat, also a rain jacket. I had cotton gloves and fleece hunting mittens, an acrylic beanie, fleece balaclava and my cap.
    I had lighters, stormproof matches, a lifestraw, water bottles, an aluminum cook set and my compass.
    I took a bolt action .22 rifle with extra mags and 200 rounds, I carried my Ruger Sr9 and had 2 more 17 rd mags in holders, I also had 200 more rounds.
    I had a USA book map and individual maps of TN and VA I picked up at the rest stops on 81. My plan was to try and buy a bicycle and ride back home, shanks mare if I had to. No matter what I was going to do my best to get back home to my family.

What did I forget?
    100 miles per day on a bicycle is completely reasonable. I bet you could get home in a week and a half. Two weeks tops.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Many would be surprised just how many people under the age of 30 don't know how to read a map.
    Hell, my (41yo) wife was in her mid 30's when I found out she didn't understand I-695 inner loop vs. outer loop. It took me a half hour of explaining and drawing circles for her to understand it. Mind you she got her master's from Johns Hopkins with a 3.98 GPA, so she is pretty damn smart with most things.
    She married you, is that one of the things that aren't most?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    A compass is only as good as you know where you are.

A paper map accompanying that compass will help one find their way.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

What did I forget?
    3-6 weeks by bike maybe. If you don’t need to hunt or scrounge for food much. You ain’t doing it in 6 weeks walking. Especially not if you have to hunt or scrounge for food. 10 miles a day is a lot more realistic than closer to 20. And could be 5.

Maybe steal a bike, but if a real EMP that could take out vehicles (unlikely. EMPs are not remotely as damaging to electronics as popular myth and literature. Actual tests show it’s unlikely to do more than stall a modern vehicle), no one is selling you one.

Not that getting back home is a bad goal. But if you aren’t real physically fit and things are stable enough people would still sell you stuff like food, probably not a chance in heck. Even with a bike. I am in great shape and I doubt I could do 50 miles a day for a couple of weeks on a good bike, with proper saddle bags. Maybe 30 miles a day. And I doubt I could hike with an appropriate pack more than about 15 miles a day, day in and out.

I’ve got some extra on me, but not enough to be burning 5000+ calories a day for weeks and only being able to carry a few days of food with me. I could probably make the bike trip without resupply (other than water). Not the hike.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    100 miles per day on a bicycle is completely reasonable. I bet you could get home in a week and a half. Two weeks tops.
    Have you? I am seriously not trying I call you out. I biked the C&O tow path many years ago. I managed about 50 miles a day. Very exhausting. Doable for sure. And that was carrying camping stuff in saddle bags. On a paved road and a real road bike I could do more for sure. I am pretty sure I couldn’t for weeks though. 3-4 days maybe.

Vast majority of people can do about 5-6mph on a road bike with themself and about 40lbs of stuff on the bike on level ground pretty comfortably. 10mph would be pretty exhausting for hours. And 5-6mph for 16 hours a day would be incredibly exhausting too. My pretty fit 39 year olds self I am 100% sure no matter how motivated I am could not do 700 miles in 7 days. Probably not even if I was carrying nothing but water and snacks and getting meals and a place to sleep along the way. 2 weeks at 50 miles a day would be pushing it too. I can’t carry 2 weeks of food on said bike. Going to be real danged hungry when you probably run out of food around day 5 or 6. Not that you couldn’t still, but your energy level will plummet and you’ll probably be doing more like 30 miles a day by around day 12 on a bike. Maybe 3 weeks in good shape and some scrounging along the way. A few days better if people will sell you food or you just happen across hunting situations as you go. Much, much longer if you are deciding to bike around urban centers and staying off major roads. Like probably twice as long.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    For the what forgotten. Mess kit, a couple of knives, one good for skinning and gutting if you are hunting at all. You’d be better off with a 22 pistol and something heavier for the rifle. Like a .223 with soft points. Lights. Flashlight that can maybe double as a lantern and headlamp. Solar panel that can recharge your electronics. Good backpacker first aid kit with some trauma extras. Canteen(s) and some chlorine dioxide tablets. A life straw is great. Needing to try to find water sources every time you are thirsty takes lots of time and sucks if you can’t. Something for fire starting that is more aggressive than matches. I personally like storm proof matches, but an electric arc rechargeable fire starter is also great. Plus add in some fire cubes if it is damp. Or a small alcohol stove, and a half or one liter bottle of denatured ethanol, as you can burn a lot of stuff in it. Hat with brim. Some sort or light rope or 550 paracord. At least 30ft if not 100. At least 2 days of MREs or backpacker meals. Not that it’ll get you remotely close to home, but it’ll be a start. A pound or two of dried fruit also doesn’t hurt for the energy.

If getting the bike in advance, small tool kit for the bike, at least one spare inner tube, bike pump and a bottle of slime wouldn’t hurt. And a nice bright bike light. Bonus points if it can do red light also for less observable night time biking. Saddle bags for the bike for sure.

All lights and lighter should be rechargeable off the solar panel or bring extra NiMH batteries and a battery charger.

And again, electronics aren’t actually very vulnerable to an EMP. It is long conductors like power lines that are. So a full gas can or two for the truck…though you’d likely as least be able to knock a few hundred miles off your trip if you were lucky (but couldn’t get gas/diesel).

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    A compass is only as good as you know where you are.

A paper map accompanying that compass will help one find their way.

My response was to the guy who said he was surprised it took 5(?) pages before a compass was included. Maps were included in about the 4th post.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I've ridden a bike 15,000 miles in a year, and I'm still taking weeks to get home in that scenario.

If things are so bad that you're biking home, you're going to spend hours a day looking for food and avoiding people.

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    Have you? I am seriously not trying I call you out. I biked the C&O tow path many years ago. I managed about 50 miles a day. Very exhausting. Doable for sure. And that was carrying camping stuff in saddle bags. On a paved road and a real road bike I could do more for sure. I am pretty sure I couldn’t for weeks though. 3-4 days maybe.

Vast majority of people can do about 5-6mph on a road bike with themself and about 40lbs of stuff on the bike on level ground pretty comfortably. 10mph would be pretty exhausting for hours. And 5-6mph for 16 hours a day would be incredibly exhausting too. My pretty fit 39 year olds self I am 100% sure no matter how motivated I am could not do 700 miles in 7 days. Probably not even if I was carrying nothing but water and snacks and getting meals and a place to sleep along the way. 2 weeks at 50 miles a day would be pushing it too. I can’t carry 2 weeks of food on said bike. Going to be real danged hungry when you probably run out of food around day 5 or 6. Not that you couldn’t still, but your energy level will plummet and you’ll probably be doing more like 30 miles a day by around day 12 on a bike. Maybe 3 weeks in good shape and some scrounging along the way. A few days better if people will sell you food or you just happen across hunting situations as you go. Much, much longer if you are deciding to bike around urban centers and staying off major roads. Like probably twice as long.
    Yes, but it was 20 years ago on a good road bike with no gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom