• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I don't know why they don't just make an 80% frame that can take Gen 4 slides, but Gen 3 trigger housing and no backstraps. People generally like the not-Glock 80% Glocks to have a not-Glock grip. Maybe the issue is that there aren't enough Gen 4 slides running around without frames and aftermarket ones.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Agreed, that would make sense. Poly80 really got the grip right as is, I wouldn’t even want backstraps.

I heard Poly80 will soon be selling 100% frames (FFL required). Curious what the pricing will be. Might be cheaper, lol.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    If I see a good deal on G3 Glocks in local shops, especially 9mm, I’m going to buy them. They’re worth a fortune in parts and may even become collectible since many of them are turning into parts for Poly80 frames.

Used to be the world was awash in cheap Gen 3 .40 cal Glock police trade ins, now I don’t see much. Just Gen 4 stuff.

crashmore

Dec 28, 2008
    Maryland
    If I see a good deal on G3 Glocks in local shops, especially 9mm, I’m going to buy them. They’re worth a fortune in parts and may even become collectible since many of them are turning into parts for Poly80 frames.

Used to be the world was awash in cheap Gen 3 .40 cal Glock police trade ins, now I don’t see much. Just Gen 4 stuff.

I’m not sure that value is going to hold though. Lately it seems like more and more slides are hitting the market that work with the poly80s and the price is dropping a lot. Outside of the slide none of the other parts are very pricey and there are tons of 3rd party versions that work really well.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I’m not sure that value is going to hold though. Lately it seems like more and more slides are hitting the market that work with the poly80s and the price is dropping a lot. Outside of the slide none of the other parts are very pricey and there are tons of 3rd party versions that work really well.

The market has indeed cooled on parted out Gen 3 guns. I used to be able to get over $400 for 17 and 19 parts kits with night sights. My last 17 kit I think I sold for $360 with decent night sights. I haven't sold a 19 kit in a while, but the prices were already cooling on them last year.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Agreed, that would make sense. Poly80 really got the grip right as is, I wouldn’t even want backstraps.

I heard Poly80 will soon be selling 100% frames (FFL required). Curious what the pricing will be. Might be cheaper, lol.

I mean, they may be. I assume an 80% they aren’t paying that 10 or 12% firearm manufacturer tax. But an 80% requires the rolling pieces and a plastic jig. It isn’t like the work required to make a completed lower is much more than an 80% from a MANUFACTURER perspective. So I’d expect same price. Maybe a little lower. Dunno.

But yeah, I do love the Poly 80 grip.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    The market has indeed cooled on parted out Gen 3 guns. I used to be able to get over $400 for 17 and 19 parts kits with night sights. My last 17 kit I think I sold for $360 with decent night sights. I haven't sold a 19 kit in a while, but the prices were already cooling on them last year.

You got any kits left? 17 or 19?

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I realize that I'm going to get flamed for this, but I hate this whole "Gen" crap. Everyone is following in the horrible footsteps of Apple where we need a "version" released every couple of years. I don't get it. Make a good product... put it out there... and if more bells and whistles come out, build it into your next model. Don't "gen" me to death. It's not like handguns aren't inherently customization anyway. If I want a stippled grip, I'll add a stippled grip. No need for a next generation of pistols just to force some poor fool into purchasing something else so he has the latest and greatest. Sure, if there is a safety issue or a piece that needs to be re-engineered, fix that, but all of this hype of largely cosmetic or preference changes... I don't get it. Some of my best shooting guns are over 50 years old... no next-gen required. /grumpy-old-man rant

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Automobile manufacturers have been doing this for years. Human nature is at play here. Make a “new” anything and people want it. No changes equals no business.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    IMHO, this is probably going to be a good thing for the Glock build market in the long run, as it will encourage more manufacturers to start building the small parts. The slide parts kits, in particular, are absurdly pricey for what's in them. I fully expect that we'll see $400 not-a-Glock builds all-day-long in a year or two as slide, barrel, and parts costs continue to drop. It might go even lower if we see another entrant to the 80% frame market.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    IMHO, this is probably going to be a good thing for the Glock build market in the long run, as it will encourage more manufacturers to start building the small parts. The slide parts kits, in particular, are absurdly pricey for what's in them. I fully expect that we'll see $400 not-a-Glock builds all-day-long in a year or two as slide, barrel, and parts costs continue to drop. It might go even lower if we see another entrant to the 80% frame market.

I hope you’re right!

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    Reading this, I didn't know why gen3 Glocks were legal in CA, but not gen4 or gen5s. Did a quick Google search and turned up a helpful Quora post.

For those like me who weren't aware, it's because of two CA laws: one requiring manufacturers to send test guns to the state for destructive drop-safety testing for any new model sold in the state (with even a new color or new sights being considered a new model), and the other law requiring the serial number micro-stamped onto the firing pin of all new handguns to print the number on the primer of all rounds fired. This is a ridiculous and burdensome expense for manufacturers, and most chose to simply not sell new models in California. Apparently the law also requires existing handgun models for sale to be re-certified every five years. Since these laws passed in 2013, sometime this year all those previously legal handguns will be removed from the CA handgun roster and no longer available for sale, assuming the CA Supreme Court doesn't overturn the law before then.

Only Commiefornia could make MD gun laws seem relatively free.

CooperativeFrailBluemorphobutterfly-max-1mb.gif

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    If you think that's bad, pre-10/1998 Glocks are the only ones that can be sold by dealers in MA. Since Gen 3s were introduced right before then, pre-10/98 Gen 3s are like $1k up there. Post-10/98 Glocks can be sold by private individuals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom