• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Question:

the only 9mm defensive ammo I have laying around currently is +p+ federal hydrshoks. I know it's not ideal since bonded ammo has become so prevalent, but I figure it'll get the job done better than the low-spec WWB in my closet. I've heard reports about KB's with glocks. Is it safe to shoot +P+ ammo out of this thing? It is the 3 pin frame.

Also, do I need to clean this thing before shooting, or take it as is? Do I need to add lubrication or is this copper grease good enough? Thanks.

+p+ has no max pressure spec and often you get minimal advantage for all the extra snap and wear on your gun. The kaboom reports about glocks were mostly in regards to shooting lead through the polygonal bore and in .40's. The .40's don't have a supported chamber(feed ramp cuts in to it a bit on the bottom and bulges brass near the base in a smiley shape). The polygonal rifling is fine with jacketed ammo, but lead smears in the rifling and causes barrel overpressure. Combine lead ammo and .40's unsupported chamber and you've got a kaboom.

You're not going to experience a kaboom with an unobstructed barrel in the 9mm shooting jacketed ammo...even with +p+.

As for cleaning and lubing...the copper stuff is antiseize. Technically they suggest you leave it on for the first few hundred shots so everything wears in properly. In reality, it's always good practice to completely strip(or at least field strip) your gun before you take it to the range so you can check for manufacturing defects and an obstructed bore. Cleaning the gun completely should remove any metal shavings or foreign debris that might interfere with proper wear on engagement surfaces.

After cleaning, oil or grease the lugs on the bottom of the barrel wherever they engage with the locking block in the frame. Put a light film of lube around the outside of the barrel where it slides inside the slide and the front bushing cutout. Put some lube on the rails and in the rail grooves in the slide. You can add a drop of oil on the connector and sear. You don't need to oil the striker or striker channel and it's a good idea to make sure it's clear of protectant or debris before going shooting. With everything cleaned and lubed, put it back together and go shoot that thing.

Diogenes

Roll Tide!
    Apr 9, 2011
    Paducah, KY
    Took her to the range today and man what a great pistol. Shot like a dream. I was grouping small with t after about 50 rounds shooting the centers out of targets. Good stuff.

Looks like I need one of each now.

Diogenes

Roll Tide!
    Apr 9, 2011
    Paducah, KY
    Flat dark earth

Love it. Totally sold on glocks now.

Thinking about trading my xd tactical .45 for a G21.

Does this mean I have to roam the interweb obnoxiously proselytizing the glock religion like all the fan boys?

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Flat dark earth

Love it. Totally sold on glocks now.

Thinking about trading my xd tactical .45 for a G21.

Does this mean I have to roam the interweb obnoxiously proselytizing the glock religion like all the fan boys?

I dunno... go shoot a G21 or G21SF and see if it changes you lol. I like Glocks a lot, they are my first choice for an affordable, dependable handgun. Are there other good handguns out there? Of course, but Glocks are truly special for everything they offer at their price point.

Diogenes

Roll Tide!
    Apr 9, 2011
    Paducah, KY
    I heard all this nonsense about the grip angle but it points so much better than the xd or sig in my hands. The sights just naturally line up. After 2 boxes I was just putting the quarter sized target repair stickers up on a target and shooting into the same quarter sized hole for 3-5 shots at 7 yards standing. I shot way better with it than I do with my 45. Love this thing.

Only other time I've ever shot one was a 22 that belonged I a cop at the range. He had never shot it and I had a couple of boxes of .40 so he lemme run a couple magazines through it. Wasn't overly impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom