Geissele Triggers, another reason to spend the money.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Just ordered a BCM lower with a Geissele SD-E FCG for my planned SBR build. That's a lot of acronyms. Anyone have an opinion on that piece of gear?

BCM = top of the line
    Geissele = top of the line

You cant get any better than that :D

I dont have any experience with the SD-E but my SSA its awesome (its in a BCM lower too :) )

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Just for shyts and giggles, picked up a SD3G from Geissele to compare it to my SSA-E.

All I can say is, Holy mother of god this thing is freaking sweet!!!

Apparently the bumpfire issue was such a common theme that Geissele started shipping these with 2 diff't trigger springs. Mine arrived with the Gold spring installed, which put the pull weight at 4.5#'s, although with the straight bow trigger, it didn't feel that heavy. Inside the bag with new pins and grease, was the Black spring. This dropped the weight to 3.5#'s, even though it feels a LOT lighter than that to be honest.

Seriously tempted to run a quick mag in the backyard, but as I have a rather narrow field of fire back there, I think it'd be prudent to wait till I can get into an IDPA pit and really let her eat.

Reset is STUPID fast. You apply pressure, and bang - rounds downrange. You think, it fires. I likey!!

Yeah. I need to hit an IDPA pit ASAP. :evilgrin3

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Just for shyts and giggles, picked up a SD3G from Geissele to compare it to my SSA-E.

All I can say is, Holy mother of god this thing is freaking sweet!!!

I agree. I see a lot of folks who don't like it, but everybody who tries my AR with the SD3G immediately says "wow, that trigger is awesome".

-Jim

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I agree. I see a lot of folks who don't like it, but everybody who tries my AR with the SD3G immediately says "wow, that trigger is awesome".

-Jim

You running the gold or black spring?

With the gold spring, it's still an incredible trigger. With the black spring though, words cannot express the awesomeness..., IMO anyways.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    You running the gold or black spring?

With the gold spring, it's still an incredible trigger. With the black spring though, words cannot express the awesomeness..., IMO anyways.

I am gonna have to try that thing out. I have shot .12 splits with my Wilson Combat Single stage MIL/LEO (5-5.75 lb trigger). :D

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I am gonna have to try that thing out. I have shot .12 splits with my Wilson Combat Single stage MIL/LEO (5-5.75 lb trigger). :D

Your more than welcome to give it a go. I think we both know a place with an IDPA pit too. :innocent0

Still debating running a few rounds out back, I want to light a few off soo badly right now. But I know I'll try and bump it, so I'm going to behave.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I just bought an SSA-E trigger on the reports from this thread. THANKS

It's a great trigger and should treat you well.

Still waiting on a chance to run this SD3G though, got another build to complete first.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I believe they use Chrome Silicone Springs which sounds about right.

I only have 2 options for my AR's

Tuned Factory FCG or Geissele. Everything else is complete junk.

what problems have you seen with timneys?
    IMAG1344.jpg
    anything to know about with the 4# skeleton? Reading around, I didn't really see many bad reviews.

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    I've been having some light strike issues with my SSA-E. I love the trigger, but not the light strikes. I haven't done a lot of shooting with this gun yet, but so far its been happening about once/30 rounds over ~200 rounds total. Any suggestions of something that I might have done wrong?

jason.krywicki

Sep 8, 2007
    GB, MD
    I've been having some light strike issues with my SSA-E. I love the trigger, but not the light strikes. I haven't done a lot of shooting with this gun yet, but so far its been happening about once/30 rounds over ~200 rounds total. Any suggestions of something that I might have done wrong?

Hammer spring installed incorrectly?

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009

Call Geissele. Bill will take care of you.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

Remove the hammer spring and install the hammer in the lower. If there is any binding then the lower is too narrow and the hammer journal will have to be narrowed.

If there's no binding the bcg can cause light strikes, particularly the can pin and firing pin binding. Sometimes firing pin protrusion or a loose barrel nut can cause it.

Short stroking, the bolt not locking in battery, and magazine drag on the carrier can cause a light strike.

Check firing pin protrusion and firing pin binding. The check bolt travel with the BT head removed and an empty magazine inserted.

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    Remove the hammer spring and install the hammer in the lower. If there is any binding then the lower is too narrow and the hammer journal will have to be narrowed.
    The hammer swings freely when the trigger is depressed.

If there's no binding the bcg can cause light strikes, particularly the can pin and firing pin binding. Sometimes firing pin protrusion or a loose barrel nut can cause it.
    The firing pin does not appear to be binding, though there is an ever-so-slight amount of friction when I slide it into the bolt. However, there is no noticeable friction or binding over the distance the pin travels during firing. I'm not sure how to check the barrel nut...

Short stroking, the bolt not locking in battery, and magazine drag on the carrier can cause a light strike.
    I have not noticed any short stroking or the bolt not locking into the battery, but I will keep an eye out for it on the next range trip. I'm using magpul 10 and 20 round and lancer 20 round mags, if that tells you anything.

Check firing pin protrusion and firing pin binding. The check bolt travel with the BT head removed and an empty magazine inserted.
    Firing pin protrusion appears correct, but I guess I would need a precision tool to say for sure. The carrier travel also appears correct, though there is friction as it runs over the feed lips and follower on the empty mag. The carrier does not move any further if I hit the forward assist.

Thanks for your input clandestine. See above for the results.

Some other details in case they help: I put the lower parts together in a Seekins lower. The folks at Precision Firearms built my upper.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Question for Chad, et al....

I have a rifle I built up for CMP matches and once in a blue moon possibly coyote/whistle pig hunting.

It currently has an ACT trigger in it. I like the ACT but I do miss the two stage feel, also I didn't have the money for anything more when I built the rifle...... I have been looking at the high speed service rifle/high power triggers as I like the two stage feel as all my other service rifles are two stage and I need to be at or above 4.5lb.

I know everyone says no to set screws but I have heard so many good things about the High Speed NM Service Rifle triggers and the weight is just right I was considering it. At the same time they are almost a 100 more than the SSA/SSA-E triggers which can be found for a decent price every now and then.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/ideas!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Question for Chad, et al....

I have a rifle I built up for CMP matches and once in a blue moon possibly coyote/whistle pig hunting.

It currently has an ACT trigger in it. I like the ACT but I do miss the two stage feel, also I didn't have the money for anything more when I built the rifle...... I have been looking at the high speed service rifle/high power triggers as I like the two stage feel as all my other service rifles are two stage and I need to be at or above 4.5lb.

I know everyone says no to set screws but I have heard so many good things about the High Speed NM Service Rifle triggers and the weight is just right I was considering it. At the same time they are almost a 100 more than the SSA/SSA-E triggers which can be found for a decent price every now and then.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/ideas!

If you lock the set screws in with the NM Geissele Trigger you wont have issues. I use Green Loctite and I heat it up to set it.

2 Stage can be more predictable for many, BUT I have seen many users remove the NM Triggers and put in a SSA-E because the NM was causing them to bump fire if they didn't have a solid hold.

The SSA-E is a great Trigger but I don't know if its approved for matches that you shoot.

BTW, I love the light. :) I still have some more batteries to send you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom