Gauging Interests----A Maryland Shooters Sprint Run Forum Knife?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you purchase a MD Shooters Limited Edition knife? (see post for knife details)

• Yes, absolutely

Votes: 40 25.0%
    • Yes, conditionally (please specify)

Votes: 41 25.6%
    • Probably—but still undecided

Votes: 39 24.4%
    • Maybe—undecided

Votes: 19 11.9%
    • No

Votes: 21 13.1%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

NatBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jan 4, 2012
    Baltimore
    I would be in for either knife, but prefer BM. Choice of handle colors, and tasteful, simple engraving.

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I'd be in for a decent US made knife at $90 or less. A Benchmade would be nice...:)

BTW: Stop abbreviating Benchmade as BM, you're making me giggle.... The word's not that long, just type it, lol!

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Update -- 12/4/2013 -- engraving, text, Admin permission, lanyards, & MSI

I've been taking note of the results and waiting a little longer before getting the formal OK, then the formal price and an actual prototype. It sounds like the majority likes a more 'clean' blade with something basic such as "MD Shooters 2014" for example, possibly aided with handle engraving. If someone who knows more about polymer engraving, a ballpark estimate would be useful.

Also, multiple people have mentioned MSI...there's no reason those initials couldn't be utilized as well, or perhaps a 4-6 strand lanyard that uses the colors of MDS and MSI together...plus, the more people who are in, the lower the price. Any thoughts on this?

Who is the correct person on this forum to ask for permission to proceed with the run?

---------------------
    (these pictures added to first post)
    In response to a few notes on lanyards, here is an 'updated' design of a more complex pattern than the first. This lanyard is a classic 'box' pattern. It can easily be a circle pattern of roughly the same size with the same amount of cord. This larger boxed lanyard is now using a tri-color stitch with red being the primary color, and gold and silver being the secondaries, with a black cord that would attach the lanyard to the knife. This style lanyard is hugely popular due to its durability, attractiveness, and it's ability to seriously help you locate the knife if it fell into grass/water. This style lanyard also gives a substantial increase in terms of grip support/retention by giving the hand more rearward and lateral grip. Generally, the addition of a 'skull bead' accompanies this lanyard type. Do you like it? (we can always slim them down, or go for 4 colors).

Lanyard1_zps3eda8a88.jpg

Lanyard2_zpseacb9fdc.jpg

Lanyard3_zps00b73324.jpg

-----------------
    With the above said, there are well over 30 popular lanyard styles used for knives. For knives I actually carry, I personally prefer a shorter/slimmer lanyard and usually keep my knife in a inner-pocket clip sheath and the lanyard makes it much easier to retrieve. The below pictures show some of the more popular lanyards/lanyard knots. I can tie most of the more popular styles. Here is a small minority of my lanyards to show how customizable lanyards make a knife!!!

ManyLanyards1_zps42f103e4.jpg

ManyLanyards2_zps357bb573.jpg

ManyLanyards3_zpsed908659.jpg

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    One thing that just popped into my head was do a lanyard (maybe boxed) that uses red and gold as two primary colors and white/silver as the secondary color to mimic the forum colors. Perhaps add an anodized lanyard bead or even one with the logo/name engraved on it. This would give a much more customized look...

I love that you used your bunny as a back drop! :lol2:

I am definitely in. I could use a higher quality carry knife that sharpens better than my EDC Gerber now that I am hunting.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I have no need for a lanyard, especially if it increases cost. Pocket clip is far more utilitarian. As mentioned, non-serrated preferred; less is more regarding inscription/logo.

Combining MDS/MSI might be tricky; blade clutter, plus multiple permissions. I believe DD214 is the MDS site owner; you could start there.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I have no need for a lanyard, especially if it increases cost. Pocket clip is far more utilitarian. As mentioned, non-serrated preferred; less is more regarding inscription/logo.

Combining MDS/MSI might be tricky; blade clutter, plus multiple permissions. I believe DD214 is the MDS site owner; you could start there.

I agree with all of this. DD214 is indeed who you would need to start with.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I sent him a message last week. Hoping to hear back.

I figure before working specific dollar amounts and exact specifications, getting the OK first is probably best. Going by the responses of this thread, there is enough interest to do a sprint run and I haven't even posted this elsewhere so people who do not visit the knives section may not know about this and still be interested.

If OK with the Forum, since there are a variety of ideas here, I was thinking maybe have someone make like 5-10 designs using PhotoShop, I can get a ballpark price of each, and everyone could vote on them and affirm if the knife chosen is what they will still want to purchase via the sprint run?

Infantry23

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Nick, this is a great idea. I am fairly excited about the possibilities. $$ is always a concern for me, but I will definitely try to make this happen!

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    The lanyard looks great. It is also a way to identify another member. Think "MDS lanyard spotting thread".

No serrations please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom