• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    No doubt, but honestly there are some great HBARs on the market at the $750-$1000 (complete rifle) price range, DI with free float barrel etc. Retail, a home built Faxon HBAR barrel + free float handguard+BCG+SLR adjustable gas block is a tack driver, and in that price range, ask me how I know. No real need to go to a piston. I also have a piston AR, I like it - runs way cleaner with a suppressor and the added weight reduces what little recoil there is. But there is added weight vs a fluted HBAR. There are a lot of reasons to go with a piston, but legality is not one. One can find fluted HBARs that are not materially heavier than a regular profile. Pencil barrels tend to heat up quickly and groups open up after a mag or three. Given the small difference it weight, i still prefer my fluted HBAR, but YMMV. The scope is the heaviest part of my upper.

If it were me, I would focus on good quality upper, not worry too much about it being a piston. There is always a market for a good quality upper at a decent price.

Im more putting something together. My own uppers arent the focus, was just putting something together with the resources I have. I can sell regular bcm/dd/faxon/noveske, etc all day long. This was just to market towards those behind enemy lines and bring them what they cant have any more.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    Right now I'm estimating around 745+shipping for a complete upper. That is a solgw barrel, bcm receiver, bcm bolt, spikes charging handle, a2 fh, and a bcm 9" mcmr and piston system. All you need is a set of sights and you are ready to shoot. Does not have to include a rail which would bring this particular setup down to about 600.

The piston kit looks to add around 10 ounces on this particular setup.

For comparison, a 16" BCM gov profile, middy with mcmr 13, mod3b ch, and bcg is 807.90 on bcm's site before shipping. My piston setup with the same barrel(bcm 16" mid gov) and a 13" mcmr, and 3b ch, is about 859 before shipping. I did the 13" for the comparison. Thats up to the buyer on the rail they would want. 13" may make it difficult to service the piston if you desire.

So for about 51.10 more you can have a Maryland compliant upper of a manufacturer that has been regarded as one of the best in the business. Now if everyone in MD is doing what they want as far as their builds on post 13 lowers, hell yes! Free men dont ask for permission, the laws are absolutely ridiculous, to hell with that nonsense. Freedom on to my brothers and sisters up north.

Not to shit all over your idea since I like having more MD compliant uppers, but Wolf T91 piston uppers are MD compliant and go for $450 new, or as low as $350 used. Plus it's a proven military design, and Wolf supposedly has good support for any issues.

I have also seen new SIG 516 piston uppers for between $400 and $550.

Just trying to put the alternatives in perspective.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    If this took off, definitely something i would do. But that will probably require a bulk order, something I cant fund at the moment.

The piston system would get around that allowing for the pencil barrel.
    Sure, but IMO there's room for someone to sell what are SPR type barrels that are explicitly marketed and marked as HBARs. It's not even a stretch because they are in fact a heavy barrel relatively speaking.

The Larue barrels would be nice. Larue calls them a "medium" profile, but they could easily be called HBAR.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Not to shit all over your idea since I like having more MD compliant uppers, but Wolf T91 piston uppers are MD compliant and go for $450 new, or as low as $350 used. Plus it's a proven military design, and Wolf supposedly has good support for any issues.

I have also seen new SIG 516 piston uppers for between $400 and $550.

Just trying to put the alternatives in perspective.

All great options. This is just an idea to bring that MD res who wants a bcm, dd, or something they normally couldnt get, a version they can legally own.

Sure, but IMO there's room for someone to sell what are SPR type barrels that are explicitly marketed and marked as HBARs. It's not even a stretch because they are in fact a heavy barrel relatively speaking.

The Larue barrels would be nice. Larue calls them a "medium" profile, but they could easily be called HBAR.

I wish I could get with larue. They aren’t accepting dealers right now, at least thats what they told me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JBIRD EST.1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom