• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rouser

Proud Eastern Shoreman
    Jul 27, 2012
    Wicomico & Talbot Cos.
    I'm in the process of my first AR rifle build (registered lower and LPK prior to 10/1). I'm really liking the build!! I am building a .300 Blackout and plan to set it up for use with supersonic as well as subsonic ammo. I don't plan to use a suppressor with the sub ammo so I am building with a pistol length gas system with a free floating hand guard.

Now, the question. The pistol length gas tube I bought appears to be good in all respects except it does not seem to enter the gas key on the bolt carrier. It has a bit of a bell housing on the end (slightly larger than the main shaft) that just will not enter the gas key. I tried another gas tube and it fits but it is tight. The primary difference I see is that the pistol tube is black and the other is shiny stainless. I ordered the black for use below the free float hand guard so that it would not be obvious, however I think the tube has a coating on the exterior and not a surface treatment to make the metal dark. How tight should the gas tube be in the gas key and the gas block? The black tube will not fit in either. The ss tube fits but is pretty tight. I checked the size of the black tube and it is .188 inches diameter. The ss tube is only .184. So, assuming the coating is the problem, will there be any problems down the road if I simply use a fine emery cloth to reduce the black coating on the ends that need to be fitted so that it slips in to the gas key and gas block? And again how loose should the gas tube be in the gas key when it wants to disengage and reengage the operating key? I assume there should be a free acting gas key without any kind of resistance to re-aligning with the tube.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom