• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CJWalker

Aug 18, 2010
    Carroll County
    I have my gas block and front sight pressed into place though I must have bumped the rear sight block rearward before I pinned it into place. It looks like the gas tube comes up a bit short at the gas block now. I have plenty of space to move the block over the hole in the barrel, but am now curious as to how far that gas tube has to to sit in the block or how much of the ports need to be exposed for proper operation.

The pic shows what I am working with right now. Prior to the rear sight block being moved so I could align the handguards, the gas tube sat all the way in the gas block.

Attachments

• IMG_20131008_211311_124.jpg
      IMG_20131008_211311_124.jpg
      63.7 KB · Views: 139

CJWalker

Aug 18, 2010
    Carroll County
    The top of the gas block also seems to lean down a little bit, but the perspective of the pic makes it look much worse. I also found that it is canted slight left after squaring from the center of the barrel.

CJWalker

Aug 18, 2010
    Carroll County
    should be fine.

aesthetically maybe not ideal, but it's an ak.

Good deal, thanks guys.

I was growing impatient and really wanted get it assembled this week so I can test fire. Planned on using a bearing separator as an arbor to press the front sight out of the way but that would have to wait until my "weekend-ly" HF trip. :D Also, didn't have any plate steel thick enough to make something up and my vice just wasn't making enough contact with the parts.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    With the gas tube catch locked into place, it's solid as a rock. The tube sits 2.2mm over the 3.45mm shelf of the gas block.

this is all that matters.

As long as it is not moving forward and rearward, it is good to go. The AK is so overgassed that having a little more ability for gas to bleed off will not hurt anything. By the time the piston has moved rearward enough for the gas to start bleeding the momentum that will carry the bolt carrier fully rearward is already imparted.

CJWalker

Aug 18, 2010
    Carroll County
    Can we see the gun plznthnx :)

Please excuse the floor crud, I've been finishing the adjacent bathroom and there is stuff all over the place.

Still need to get move the gas block a hair to the right and pin it, but it started getting late. Going to replace the rear wood since I took too much off and screwed up the taper while fitting it. Other than that a good oiling/cleaning and maybe paint at some point in time. Hopefully it runs lol. It's a Pol kit on an IO arms receiver.

Attachments

• IMG_20131009_015034_865.jpg
      IMG_20131009_015034_865.jpg
      40.5 KB · Views: 112

CJWalker

Aug 18, 2010
    Carroll County
    Very nice

Thanks! Hours wise, definitely a lot and probably more than I can remember. This was/is my first AK build so naturally I made a few mistakes. Had to take the trigger guard rivets out after forgetting to put the safety stop in and had to make some tooling to support the trunnion while I pressed the barrel. I had originally tried using all-thread but I couldn't get enough toque out of it. I ended up buying a HF press which I should have done initially. Headspacing took awhile to get right as well. Next build should go much faster.

Learned A LOT at the build parties, especially from Awptickles, ArmedFerret, and Steverado so thanks again to y'all. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom