• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • angler

Mar 30, 2010
    I've got a Spike's lower coming from the group buy. Intrigued by gas piston uppers (LMT, CMMG, LWRC), but am not familiar with them. Looking for opinions either way.

Built rifle will be used for home protection/zombie slaying (not long range/varminter). 16" barrel flat top. Will probably keep iron sights or maybe an Eotech or the like.

Thanks for any advice.

angler

Mar 30, 2010
    Do a search, theres 20 topics on the issue.

Thanks for the advice. I did search and, while mentioned in many threads, there was no single thread on the topic. Is it against forum rules to try and aggregate information in one place?

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Five letters
    L
    W
    R
    C
    I

Get one, buy once, cry once. I just got a M6A3 I'm in the waiting period for after doing a lot of reading on piston ARs.

angler

Mar 30, 2010
    Thanks all. Good stuff in the linked thread. Search-fu weak this morning. Sorry to waste everyone's time.......

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Yeah your post was unusually terse....whats up man? Scott doing any better?

Overworked mainly, but Im in one of those moods this week. Man PMS I guess my wife would call it.

Yeah hes as good as to be expected. Hes still got issues and is trying to hide them.

The dude is a stubborn donkey.

If it werent for me no one else would love him. :lol2:

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Are you new to shooting ARs? If so, I recommend you go with a standard direct impingement system. Piston guns shine in short barrel applications, and whether they offer really long term benefits in a 14.5-16" barrel has not yet been truly quantified. As a new shooter, the piston gun will have a sharper recoil impulse. I just can't recommend them (and the additional cost) for a new or occasional shooter.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    Are you new to shooting ARs? If so, I recommend you go with a standard direct impingement system. Piston guns shine in short barrel applications, and whether they offer really long term benefits in a 14.5-16" barrel has not yet been truly quantified. As a new shooter, the piston gun will have a sharper recoil impulse. I just can't recommend them (and the additional cost) for a new or occasional shooter.

Learn something every day. Thanks Kev. I've never messed with them personally.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    Overworked mainly, but Im in one of those moods this week. Man PMS I guess my wife would call it.

Yeah hes as good as to be expected. Hes still got issues and is trying to hide them.

The dude is a stubborn donkey.

If it werent for me no one else would love him. :lol2:

Gotcha. Mine would call it that too.

Is he out of the hospital?

...not sayin nothin :innocent0

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Show off. :lol2:

I have to brag while I can :P You'll get to see it soon in person, as I plan to drop by the shop to get an ASAP plate put on it.

As far as you being a grouchy bastard... Don't stop, I don't mind :P

Thanks all. Good stuff in the linked thread. Search-fu weak this morning. Sorry to waste everyone's time.......

I have to say, if you're going to be buying an LWRCi upper, you can go direct from them or through a dealer, a dealer or a website might have better pricing than direct from them, as I think direct you'll be buying at or above MAP. I know a good dealer that has nearly impossible to beat pricing on their stuff, PM me for details.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    I'm going to agree with Kevp.

-New/occasional shooter? Old school impingement system.
    -MUST have piston? LWRCI

I'm not new to guns or ARs by any means, but I don't shoot THAT often (and then usually only at work), and impingement is what I know, so that's what I PERSONALLY will stick with.

angler

Mar 30, 2010

Not new to shooting AR's, but first one I will build myself. I was attracted to the reduced cleaning time and potential for a gun with higher dependability, although I am reading that the standard DI, if built well, is reliable enough. Also, when things go **** up, it will be easier to repair/find parts for the standard system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mr88

Latest threads

Top Bottom