Gas appliance hook-up... license required?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I purchased a gas range at a home improvement store, to be delivered this upcoming weekend. I have installed similar appliances in the past, however, the store employee said that gas appliances must be now installed by a certified technician in Maryland due to a recent law.

I can't find any such state regulation, only reference to a Montgomery County rule that says precisely what he said (ref here: http://www6.montgomerycountymd.gov/apps/News/press/PR_details.asp?PrID=7925. I am in Carroll county, and have searched in vain for a county ordanance that says the same. I did find one that applies to gas HOOKUPS, which seems to be referring to the house connection to the main line.

Does anyone have firsthand knowledge if this is required, and if so, suggestions on who could do it? Or perhaps, that I could do the work myself and have it inspected for a lesser fee?

He quoted over $170 for hookup and another $170-something for inspection/certification, which seems ridiculous to me for a 15 minute job. I know a licensed technician's time doesn't come cheap, but for something I can do in less time than it takes to call the technician... I just object on principle :).

I've installed brakes & calipers on a 6 ton vehicle, dropped 75 gallon gasoline tanks to install new fuel pumps, removed and reinstalled 65 lb propane tanks (motorhome), haven't killed myself yet. I'm sure I can handle pipe dope, a wrench, and some soap bubbles :D.

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I purchased a gas range at a home improvement store, to be delivered this upcoming weekend. I have installed similar appliances in the past, however, the store employee said that gas appliances must be now installed by a certified technician in Maryland due to a recent law.

I can't find any such state regulation, only reference to a Montgomery County rule that says precisely what he said (ref here: http://www6.montgomerycountymd.gov/apps/News/press/PR_details.asp?PrID=7925. I am in Carroll county, and have searched in vain for a county ordanance that says the same. I did find one that applies to gas HOOKUPS, which seems to be referring to the house connection to the main line.

Does anyone have firsthand knowledge if this is required, and if so, suggestions on who could do it? Or perhaps, that I could do the work myself and have it inspected for a lesser fee?

He quoted over $170 for hookup and another $170-something for inspection/certification, which seems ridiculous to me for a 15 minute job. I know a licensed technician's time doesn't come cheap, but for something I can do in less time than it takes to call the technician... I just object on principle :).

Just tell them thanks but no thanks and have them drop it off at your door.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Look at your homeowners policy carefully. I wanted to install a gas line to my grill outside and decided to let a plumber do it.

Insurance can't come back and deny a claim later if it requires a licensed install.

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Look at your homeowners policy carefully. I wanted to install a gas line to my grill outside and decided to let a plumber do it.

Insurance can't come back and deny a claim later if it requires a licensed install.

Big jump from hooking up a flexline to an oven to installing an actual gas line! I think the OP just wants to hook up the oven to an existing line.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Big jump from hooking up a flexline to an oven to installing an actual gas line! I think the OP just wants to hook up the oven to an existing line.

Yes, that is correct.

All I need to do is
    - shut off gas to existing gas range at the valve (will shut off main valve too just to be sure)
    - remove existing flex pipe
    - install new flex pipe to new range and existing gas fitting using pipe dope
    - re-open valves
    - check for leaks with bubble solution

Installing a new gas line is a different animal, and I would hire a technician for that. To my mind what I'm doing is analogous to changing a wall outlet or chandelier, not running a new line + breaker.

Not that running a new gas line or new breaker + electrical line is overly complicated, but it requires adherence to construction codes / materiel requirements that I may not know.

Waitwhat

Feb 19, 2013
    My dad ran into this problem when he recently replaced his stove. He ended up having to pay a licensed inspector to come by and approve it. The guy glanced at it, signed a sheet of paper, then left five minutes later.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Insurance companies love to use technicalities to wiggle out of possible payouts on claims.

But I agree there is a difference. Only pointing out how they try to avoid a payout even on on a technicality.

Tman68

Jul 25, 2012
    Harford Co
    Do it yourself and have it inspected, once you pass, then your good to go in every way, insurance, future sale, or anything else there could be. Call the town and find out if you need a permit and if so how much, that will get you the inspection.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Do it yourself and have it inspected, once you pass, then your good to go in every way, insurance, future sale, or anything else there could be. Call the town and find out if you need a permit and if so how much, that will get you the inspection.

I'm not in an incorporated town, so it would be county; but still, good advice.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    MoCo does now, as of last year I think, require a licensed plumber, a permit and a straight up fee on top of that for any gas oven install. That hit a friend of mine, close to $200 of extra cost. Welcome to utopia!

matt1

Feb 5, 2013
    anne arundel county md
    Yes, that is correct.

All I need to do is
    - shut off gas to existing gas range at the valve (will shut off main valve too just to be sure)
    - remove existing flex pipe
    - install new flex pipe to new range and existing gas fitting using pipe dope
    - re-open valves
    - check for leaks with bubble solution

Installing a new gas line is a different animal, and I would hire a technician for that. To my mind what I'm doing is analogous to changing a wall outlet or chandelier, not running a new line + breaker.

Not that running a new gas line or new breaker + electrical line is overly complicated, but it requires adherence to construction codes / materiel requirements that I may not know.
    Bullfrog, Im a contractor and though Im not a licensed plumber it sounds like you know what youre doing. It should be as simple as what you just described. If you run into something you cant do then give someone a call... otherwise its nothing hard. There are a lot of loopholes in regulation if the homeowner does the work themselves. I dont see this being an issue for you.

redtruck

Mar 29, 2013
    Playing with Gas.

My experience has been most codes require licensed hookup and inspection. It is a simple job, but remember, brake calipers can't kill, but the gas sure will if not done properly. Shop around for a better deal including purchase with licensed hookup such as sears, etc. Worth the extra precaution. Also, if a back yard hookup burns your house down, your homeowners insurance will not pay.

Frustrated

Jan 28, 2013
    Maryland
    This is a common sense thing...you seem to know what you're talking about....i do all my own stuff too. My neighbor was told the same thing just six months ago...he did his and nobody came to check anything.

I was questioned by the gas meter battery replacment guy as to why the paint was a little marked up on my main shut off valve. I told him because I needed to shut it off and when I bought this house there were no other shut off at the appliances. He told me that I am not allowed to turn the gas off. I laughed and said well how else was i supposed to change the water heater, replace the stove, and the dryer, all twice. He said that I better not say another word and the fire marshall and building inspector would be coming to visit me. They never did. These laws like many others are just another way to get money and try to idiot proof the world.

semper000

Mar 24, 2009
    Have we had a rash of recent gas leaks or fires that I'm not aware of to necessitate these laws? Oh wait no we are just too stupid to do anything ourselves without regulation.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    brake calipers can't kill

Pretty sure I disagree with you on that statement.

Think about it next time you're going down a long >5 degree grade and there's a 6 ton motorhome behind you, towing a car to boot. Hope the guy that did the brakes last is as OCD as I am. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom