• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • letmeoutpax

Nov 12, 2013
    St. Mary's
    Hello Garrett county. We will be staying with friends south of Oakland this week. What do you suggest for activities if we are not doing DCL and Wisp. Especially thinking of something for the family. How is the railroad station/museum. Are there any other local low key attractions?

BTW, we will have space to shoot on the property so I'm bringing a Model 60, Mk II, and a steel target.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Hello Garrett county. We will be staying with friends south of Oakland this week. What do you suggest for activities if we are not doing DCL and Wisp. Especially thinking of something for the family. How is the railroad station/museum. Are there any other local low key attractions?

BTW, we will have space to shoot on the property so I'm bringing a Model 60, Mk II, and a steel target.

That tough to figure out stuff if you're not doing the lake/wisp. Not sure about the museum, lived here forever and I've never visited it.:o

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Try swallow falls state park - it's been a while since we were there, but have fond memories of our viait

---
    Shamr0ck

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Western Maryland Scenic Railroad out of Cumberland. You could hit it on the way there if your schedule allows or backtrack during the week.

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    Western Maryland Scenic Railroad out of Cumberland. You could hit it on the way there if your schedule allows or backtrack during the week.

Scenic railroad not currently running all the way to the Frostburg Depot. They have some issue with the track bed where it was washed out. Right now, they are running up to Woodcock Hollow and coming back.

Estimated to be into 2017 season before repairs are completed. Saw this in CTN a few weeks ago.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Yes, we'll probably do Swallow Falls sometime. Can anybody drive up to the wind turbines or is that power company only?

if you drive 219s to blackwater/davis you will drive right under some of the windmills. of course blackwater falls and canaan state parks. canaan has a golf course, pool, small portable rock climbing thingie. hiking and mtn biking out the yingyang all around.

DanJo

Mar 4, 2010
    Western Howard County
    Penn Alps in Grantsville has a dozen or so old craftsman shops and is worth a visit. The Oakland railroad museum is nice, but yo can see everything in an hour or so. There is also a transportation museum across the road from the railroad museum which is interesting. Swallow Falls is fantastic. I really like Herrington Manor as well, which is a much quieter lake experience.

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    If you're cruising around or heading back via Rt. 68, you could swing off to Rt.40 at LaVale (between Frostburg & Cumberland, Allegany County). You could spend hours at Surplus City. They have all kinds of tools, fittings, nuts & bolts by the pound, and lots of other cool hardware and junk. Generally no military stuff, though. Also, there is a sporting goods store in one of the strip malls there. Dunhams Sports, I think its called. Sort of like a Dicks Sporting goods. They used to have some decent prices on long guns and ammo. I haven't been to LaVale in almost two years, but I always got some deals at both places. If you are into fishing, Bass-in-Box (something like that) was there too. They carried archery stuff and some shotguns, ammo and shooting accessories.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Try swallow falls state park - it's been a while since we were there, but have fond memories of our viait

---
    Shamr0ck

Wear water shoes (for hiking) and a bathing suit and take a towel. If the water isn't too high, it can be fun to play in the Swallow Falls or swim just below Muddy Creek Falls

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Penn Alps in Grantsville has a dozen or so old craftsman shops and is worth a visit. The Oakland railroad museum is nice, but yo can see everything in an hour or so. There is also a transportation museum across the road from the railroad museum which is interesting. Swallow Falls is fantastic. I really like Herrington Manor as well, which is a much quieter lake experience.

My wife loves the Penn Alps Artisan village.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    Just west of Oakland and over the state line is a nice zoo. You can feed the animals. A couple years ago I got to play with a white tiger cub.

http://www.westvirginiazoo.com/

There is also school house earth which is a nice little store and has some goats, lamas and alpacas to feed.

http://www.schoolhouseearth.com/

The lavender farm was decent and fun to watch all the humming birds they have there.

http://www.deepcreeklavenderfarm.com/

Deep creek state park discovery center & aviary. The birds of prey in the aviary are pretty cool for youngsters.

http://discoverycenterdcl.com/aviary_-_meet_the_birds

letmeoutpax

Nov 12, 2013
    St. Mary's
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Turns out our friend has a very nice place, with animals and trails and a rope swing and place to shoot the 22, so going out to do things wasn't as important. We mostly went out in the early afternoon. On different days we had time to hike at Swallow Falls, swim at Herrington Manor, browse through the Englander shop in Oakland and have a milkshake at their soda fountain.

One thing I found just before leaving and didn't really expect to be able to do was rock climbing at Fork Run which is right up the road from Swallow Falls. We boys all got to try the gritty and pocketed boulders. My one son who insisted he didn't want to go wound up having a great time showing off his skills he learned at summer camp.

It was a very relaxing trip and we plan to go back, so I'll keep several of your suggestions in mind.

I still want to find a way to stand under one of those towers right below the blade going by. (Mind you, I agree with most of the locals who hate them and the nasty way Martin O'Malley did it. They are monuments to progressive narcissism and stupidity.)

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Turns out our friend has a very nice place, with animals and trails and a rope swing and place to shoot the 22, so going out to do things wasn't as important. We mostly went out in the early afternoon. On different days we had time to hike at Swallow Falls, swim at Herrington Manor, browse through the Englander shop in Oakland and have a milkshake at their soda fountain.

One thing I found just before leaving and didn't really expect to be able to do was rock climbing at Fork Run which is right up the road from Swallow Falls. We boys all got to try the gritty and pocketed boulders. My one son who insisted he didn't want to go wound up having a great time showing off his skills he learned at summer camp.

It was a very relaxing trip and we plan to go back, so I'll keep several of your suggestions in mind.

I still want to find a way to stand under one of those towers right below the blade going by. (Mind you, I agree with most of the locals who hate them and the nasty way Martin O'Malley did it. They are monuments to progressive narcissism and stupidity.)

Dottie's grill FTW !

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom